PDA

View Full Version : i'm having a problem with getting on plane

Maximus
07-08-2002, 08:20 AM
i'm having a problem with getting on plane, i have a 255 lxc w/ 350 mag and a alpha drive. when im alone i have no problems but as soon as i get people on board forget it! i can get out of my own way. i tach out at 4000 and cant go more tha 10 knots, usually at that rpm im doing 35! so if you have any suggestions or have had this problem in the past please let me know , thanks!

mattyboy
07-08-2002, 08:39 AM
What kind of prop are you turning? make sure the prop isn't dinged up, do you have trim tabs?where are the people when trying to plane( your center of gravity)?
Those are a few items that I'd check,
I'm sure the other board members have some ideas!

matt

Maximus
07-08-2002, 10:49 AM
No spun hub that i know, i have trim tabs, im not sure on the size prop i have, I dont remember. only other thing im not sure of is what my WOT is supposed to be, i run @ 4000-4200,is that good for a 350 mag, carbed? and should i try a 4 blade prop? it just seems like the boats too heavy and it doesnt have enough power to get it going, my engine is running great though , so i'm lost

mikev
07-08-2002, 11:51 AM
sounds like you Spun your engine coupler to me.

blackhawk
07-08-2002, 12:24 PM
My old Chapparral had a hard time getting on plane and the trim was low on fluid. And the outdrive would actually "trim up" while tring to get on plane. Is your drive slowly coming down if you leave it parked with the trim up for a few days? Just something to check. Also, sounds like you may be a bit overpropped. My 350 carb liked 4800 rpms if I remember right.

Maximus
07-08-2002, 09:18 PM
i went down to the marina and got my prop specs, it a 14.5x17. should i try a smaller pitch?and what kind of prop do you suggest?

mattyboy
07-08-2002, 09:43 PM
Maximus,
I have more pitch on my blender blades eek! ,

you need more grip on the water that means more diameter or more pitch 19 at least, see if the marina as a loaner you could try, with 17" pitch your probably hitting the rev limiter alot

Matt

Donzified
07-08-2002, 09:43 PM
Even a few small weeds on your prop can cause problems.

ToonaFish
07-09-2002, 12:01 AM
Get smaller friends.

Bunches,

Celene 'blender pitch, good one Matty!'

HyperDonzi
07-09-2002, 10:16 AM
blackhawk, when fluid gets low trims up? thats weird, normally the hydraulics need fluid to be up.
maximus, where is everyone seated? the center of gravity in a v is about 29% from the transom. this all depends on how much gas, where the tank is located..... try placing people around differently and getting a bigger prop.

Maximus
07-09-2002, 01:02 PM
Hehe I have a big mouth, got on the phone with mercury, they called donzi, had a three way confrence goin on. they both agreed on my having a 15x15 prop. they said that it would make a improvement. anyway gonna give it a shot my marina has one to let me borrow. we'll see what happens, thanks a bunch, you all put me in the right direction! wink

blackhawk
07-09-2002, 03:12 PM
HyperBaja, when my fluid got low my trim got "squishy" meaning there wasn't enough fluid to hold it locked into position. I could grab it by hand and move it up and down. When I would try to get on plane the force of the water would push the drive up. That's what I meant by trimming up. I guess I should have been more specific.

ThrillSeeker
07-09-2002, 03:28 PM
My dad has a 25' welcraft w/ a 350, and an alpha. We have a 17pitch prop on it and dont have a problem. We had our hub spin out twice, and in the mean time we used a 19 pitch prop untill we got our new one. 17 or 19 u should be able to get it up!!!! Try stainless less prop give.
If that dont work check your cupler, then have your outdrive liooked at.

Rootsy
07-09-2002, 04:25 PM
that's cause the oil will foam as air is whipped into it by the pump and forced into the hydraulic cylinders... so basically you get a cylinder full of oil and air.. the air is a compressible fluid... the oil is not.. hence the sponginess