PDA

View Full Version : TELL ME ABOUT DONZI REGAZZAS

lou
02-27-2001, 06:27 PM
I want to know about Donzi regazzas, what are the best years for donzis and the worst years donzis and what to stay away from. Good and bad . Yes I am writing a book!

BigGrizzly
02-27-2001, 09:31 PM
Ragazza, A late 1980's entry level Donzi. From 17 feet to 25 feet in length. the dead-rise was 19-degree. They were under powered, example the R-21 had standard power 4.3 175 horse OMC Cobra. Rhe boat was nicely appointed. Mostly flash and no dash. All of them road hard compaired to Donzi standards. They had the Euro style stern. The line was dropped. Ah yes thoes OMC years.

Randy

EricG
02-28-2001, 10:02 AM
Grizz is right on, there is a really good article in an 1987 or 88 issue of Boating where they introduce the line and talk about all of the models - I found it in the local library.

I almost bought one a while back - I'm very glad I waited until I found the Z.....

EG

502 Magnum
02-28-2001, 03:57 PM
Hi BigGrizzly
What you know!
I`m not giving up,I hope you got some
about the Z33 Crossbow as well?
Who was realy the disigner?Have you got any
idea about how many boats they made from
1987 to 1989 (1990)? Why did they use Merc-
Bravos in 1988 and the Omc Cobra in early
1989 ? Appreciate if you take the time,

Bjørn

BigGrizzly
02-28-2001, 06:47 PM
During your first post on the subject I told you how it drove and handled. I don't know who designed it. The first Crossbow was not a Z boat. the first ones had borg warner transmissions and TRS outdrives. Stock they would run 60->65 in almost any conditions. the Z series had bravos, then OMC took over and put pn cobras on them. My personal preference is the origional Crossbow with the TRS drives. A friend put in some engine mods and topped at 77 mph, and felt like it was on a cruise. If I didn't have so many toys and a house on the lake I would own that boat here on lake Lanier. That boat is all class and turns heads where ever it is. It is soooo much better in real life than in pictures.

Randy

Murphy
02-28-2001, 09:38 PM
The Donzi Regazza was the company's attempt to break into the family boating market, no? I recall reading once where it was considered kind of a miserable failure. You gotta know who you are and what you do, otherwise people get confused. For example, can you imagine a family Cigarette (please don't tell me they ever made one.)? If there was such a thing, Chevy Chase surely would have been driving one in Family Boating Vacation II... complete with wood panel inserts. Frankly every time I see a Regazza I want to strip the Donzi name off the side before anyone sees it. Nuf said.

502 Magnum
03-01-2001, 03:59 PM
Nice to hear from you B G.
The way you talk about the Z33,with the
handling and all, sounds great.At the moment
I have a long way to go,but I`m looking
forward to try this boat.
Take care

Bjørn

mikev
03-05-2001, 11:01 AM
I have an 88 19' Regazza like it alot. Rides in the rough water better than any other 19' bowrider I have been in (Deeper V than any other). Mine has the V6 and will run 48 MPH when I put a 4 bbl on it should run over 50. It may not be up to par as compared to the classic Donzi's but a whole lot better built than any other 19' bowrider I looked at, a very solid good riding hull. Mine is Mercrusier powered not sure about the OMC boats.

doug hess
03-05-2001, 06:30 PM
I purchaed a 1988 Regazza 25, Merc powered several years go after surveying the market for express cruisers and found it the best available in that vintage and class. Most of the competitive boats handled like turtles and seemed to have been made in a RV, camper or van factory. Everything was jamed into the spaces available (often framed with interior quality, untreated wood) without regard to marine issues then covered with plenty of carpet to encourage a moldy ambiance.

The Regazza is a well designed boat that handles well in a wide range of conditions. It is a real boat that was designed and constructed to high marine standards and is what one would expect from a company with a top off shore racing heritage.

I do all my own work getting into the hidden areas from I/O overhaul to fiber glass and electrical work. The only short comming I found was the one common to most modern construction, namely lack of butt blocks deck hardware.

Whoever came up with the name Regazza for this design was obviously senstive to Donzi history and culture. Regazza is the Italian word for "girl". So the pursit types should just understand that it is a "girl", and accept that it has a place in the Donzi familly. Don Aronow certainly did not reject them! At the Donzi factory he made boats downstairs and girls upstairs.

Doug (He likes girls) Hess

doug hess
03-05-2001, 06:46 PM
I purchaed a 1988 Regazza 25, Merc powered several years go after surveying the market for express cruisers and found it the best available in that vintage and class. Most of the competitive boats handled like turtles and seemed to have been made in a RV, camper or van factory. Everything was jamed into the spaces available (often framed with interior quality, untreated wood) without regard to marine issues then covered with plenty of carpet to encourage a moldy ambiance.

The Regazza is a well designed boat that handles well in a wide range of conditions. It is a real boat that was designed and constructed to high marine standards and is what one would expect from a company with a top off shore racing heritage.

I do all my own work getting into the hidden areas from I/O overhaul to fiber glass and electrical work. The only short comming I found was the one common to most modern construction, namely lack of butt blocks under deck hardware.

Whoever came up with the name Regazza for this design was obviously senstive to Donzi history and culture. Regazza is the Italian word for "girl". So the purist types should just understand that it is a "girl", and accept that it has a place in the Donzi familly. Don Aronow certainly did not reject them! At the Donzi factory he made boats downstairs and girls upstairs.

Doug (He likes girls) Hess