PDA

View Full Version : Holman/Moody info.?

DOND
06-25-2001, 02:53 PM
FOR ALL YOU HOLMAN/MOODY EXPERTS,HOPEFULLY
YOU CAN PROVIDE SOME INPUT ON MY QUESTIONS.
DO THE HOLMAN /MOODY EDITIONS OF THR 16 AND 18 CLASSICS HAVE A HIGHER VALUE THAN OTHERS?

APPROX. WHAT PERCENTAGE OF THE 16 AND 18 CLASSICS PRODUCED WERE HOLMAN/MOODY EDITIONS.

WAS THERE ANYTHING SPECIAL WITH THE VOLVO OUTDRIVE OTHER THAN THE HOLMAN/MOODY NAMEPLATE.

ANY INFO. WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED

Gearhead99
06-25-2001, 07:22 PM
I think you'll find that most of the 60's boats with Ford engines are Holman-Moody. I have had several. They all had the HM manifolds and drive.

H-M also had that intermedate shaft that went from the flywheel to the drive plate. The shaft was supported with two bearings, one at each end. The bolt pattern on the bellhousing was the same 6 bolt pattern as a velvet drive.
They also had 289's, 302's and 351W's.

The drives were standard Volvo with their name on them. The only HM unique parts that I remember was a filler plate for the exhaust at the horse collar and a solid trim fin instead of the exhaust outlet on the drive. The center support, with shaft was HM also.

[This message has been edited by Gearhead99 (edited 06-25-2001).]

BigGrizzly
06-25-2001, 10:06 PM
They also had a 351Clevland as in my origional Donzi Corsican. The drive was the standard Volvo. The stub shaft was the only difference. The bearing supported stub shaft is housed in a tube that mimics the borg 10-17 trans for length thus moves the engine forward. This gives the boat a little better balance. The shaft is much larger in diameter than the standard Volvo stub shaft. They also had crank mounted water pumps, which was a standard pump mounted backwards on a plate and mounted to the front of the engine with a rubber coupling from a hydraulic pump. on the 289 and 351w the got rid of the circulating pimp and did direct water into the block much like the ones Stainless marine sells. The Clevlands had a special head. It had the bigport V4 configuration with small V2 intake valves. I have all the origional engine parts except the exhaust manifolds, they dissapesred long ago.
Our 16 had the 289 H&M version but does not have the long center section, but has the same bolt pattern. There isn't enough room before it hits the seat. In 1966 the battery was mounted infront of the engine without access through the seat, what a bear to get to . I moved the battery to the stern now. WE still have the boats.

Randy

boldts
06-26-2001, 03:03 PM
Holman Moody is basicly gone for marine parts unless you happen to find someone who has collected them over the years. Here is the HM website just in case your interested. http://www.holmanmoody.com/ I found a pair of valve covers with the HM logo a few years back, but the price was out of this world. Would have been a nice addition to the boat engine though.

Scott Boldt