PDA

View Full Version : Metal Shavings in Drive Oil

Greg Maier
07-07-2002, 07:13 PM
I need some help ! I took the top cap off my 1995 Blackhawk Drive and I saw some metal shavings in the oil which were approximately 1mm X 2mm in size. Is this normal? If not, what could be wrong?

Thanks

Greg

MOP
07-07-2002, 08:53 PM
You have to tear it down any metal of size meaning above very miniscule on the drain plug is not acceptable.

blackhawk
07-08-2002, 01:40 PM
Hey Greg, 1mm x 2mm sounds pretty small. Small amounts of metal are normal. That is why they put magnetic drain plugs in drives. Was the metal floating in the oil or stuck to a magnetic plug?

Greg Maier
07-08-2002, 08:39 PM
The metal shavings were floating in the oil, on top of the gears. I spoke to a guy at a hi perf shop and he told me that the Blackhawk and Bravo upper drive were identical, it is just the lower unit that is different on the Blackhawk. Is this correct?

blackhawk
07-08-2002, 09:14 PM
Greg, that is correct. The top gears are the same as a Bravo 1 and the bottom gears are the same as a Bravo 3. There are a few different parts here and there.

RickSE
07-09-2002, 09:57 AM
Has your drive lube been changed before?
How many total hours on the drive?
Are the shavings steel or aluminum (use magnet)?

The first change on my Alpha brought out quite a few metal shavings. I assumed they were from the clutches breaking-in or the gears lapping, all has been well since. I'd suggest you change the lube and check it again in 10-20 hours.

For a reference, I had to change the rear end lube on my new truck after 500 miles of heavy towing. You would not believe how nasty the lube was that came out. The factory synthetic lube which looks like clear grape juice when new, was solid black and full of metal shavings. This though was completely normal just the gears and clutches lapping & breaking-in.

MOP
07-09-2002, 03:36 PM
You want another idea? Go to West Marine, pickup an oil sample kit. Drain some oil and send it off, let the techs tell you what they think. I worked on these things for many many years. If you see metal in the oil draining and refilling is very risky and more than likely much more expensive to fix. Even now you may have just caught it maybe not.

Greg Maier
07-09-2002, 05:56 PM
This drive has about 130 hours on it. I bought it used with a 110 hours. I don't know the history of this drive. I was told that by someone at work today that putting a drive into gear with it trimmed up(but not in trailer position) is also hard on the gears. I moor the boat in some very shallow water, so I frequently have my drive trimmed up while starting and stopping. Anyway, I'm taking the drive to a local guy (Northeast Maryland)who said that the problems are probably in the top end, and it will take him two hours of labor ($62/hr) to tell what is wrong. He also mentioned that it very well could just be the clutch, since I was having problems getting it into gear. He said that there is an updated clutch for Bravo Drives, which engages much better.

MOP
07-09-2002, 07:49 PM
Right move he will know, hopefully it will be a cheap fix. The trim thing is irrelevent as long as you keep RPM down. The U joints and gimble bearing are the only things that gets punished by high trim.

blackhawk
07-09-2002, 09:37 PM
Greg, I hope it is nothing serious. I took mine in to get "checked out" and it ended up costing me almost $6000!

Woodsy
07-10-2002, 06:56 AM
Hey Guys...

FYI... Mercury has a "kit" of new parts for the BlackHawk drive. Essentially all new upgraded internals. Anyway, as soon as I get some more info I'll post it...

Woodsy :D :D

PS: BlackHawk... $6000? For a rebuild??? WOW!! OUCH!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

blackhawk
07-10-2002, 10:26 AM
Woodsy, tell me about it! That was basically replacing everything, and I mean everything in the drive though. Plus, it has the "updated" upper gear set. It was in the Bravo drives as well. I was told it was service bulliten 2001-17. Go to this page and click on the 01-17 under 2001 service bullitens.

http://www.sterndrives.com/supplies/mainsupplies.html

blackhawk
07-10-2002, 10:30 AM
Sorry, click on the link and then service bullitens to the left and then 01-17 under 2001.

Greg Maier
07-15-2002, 07:03 PM
Well, I got the verdict from the mechanic. I broke off two teeth on a gear in the upper end of the Blackhawk Drive. The drive wouldn't go into gear because the drive was trying to grab the gear where the teeth were missing. The mechanic told me that it was probably caused by the drive reentering the water with to high an rpm. He told me that I basically need new upper half gears. He did say that mercruiser makes gears for both gas and diesel engines for the Bravo. The diesel gears are supposed to handle a higher load. He told me that he normally puts them in any Bravo that has to handle 400 HP or more. I remember several occasions, when I first got the boat, where I let the engine rev when I left the water and it was overrevving when I entered the water. So, this damage is probably my fault. He said that normally, the drive gets torn apart when a tooth breaks off, but mine looks fine, probably lucky.