PDA

View Full Version : Silent Choice/Captns Call on 16 footer

raritan
02-26-2001, 09:11 AM
I have a 65 ski sporter with 350. Do I have enough space to install either of these diverter.

PaulO
02-26-2001, 09:42 AM
I think that the boat does not matter as much as the engine/drive combo. That and the present placement of the exhaust tips. Essentially all Mercruisers are the same distance from the transom.
PaulO

AVickers
02-26-2001, 10:46 AM
My guess is that this is a Volvo setup...

There is accommodation w/ the old Volvo drives to accommodate under-the-water exhaust. There's a one-piece y-pipe that snakes down under the drive line inside the transom -- in fact, I think you have to pull the engine to install it (bummer). I recall seeing one in a boat junk yard.

As for the valving to choose above- or under-water exhaust, my '76 18' Classic didn't have room behind the manifolds to insert the diverter. My guess is that a manifold change would have also been required.

I sold the boat before noise abatement became an issue for me... However, my 22' BB setup did require abatement -- to 92dB. All the valving and stuff would have fit -- there's more room between the engine and transom -- but for me, the cost was prohibitive. I installed a set of stainless steel baffles and they cut the noise to "acceptable" levels.

She still rumbles, but more quietly...all the time.

raritan
02-26-2001, 07:17 PM
Thanks for the info. Al, I was the one that ALMOST bought your 18. Remember we were gonna meet near Texarkana. Anyway I bought this boat on ebay. Where did you get the baffles, tell me more.....

roadtrip
02-26-2001, 09:52 PM
Raritan,
Glad to hear you are working away on the new acquisiton from Florida. Does this mean that she will be ready for Cumberland in May?
I hope so. Roadtrip says join our southwest convoy to the First Annual Awakening of the Horses. Should be a great trip so bring it on! Todd

riesr
02-26-2001, 09:57 PM
I have a 16 that I am in the process of putting in a new 350. My answer to the noise rules is the water line. I now have 4" risers but the holes where my old exhust was are half in and half out of the water. The way the law is written in Ohio, the noise reading is taken at idle, not full throttle. At idle there is alot of bubbling going on particularly if I sit on the back seat. At open throttle it really is quite muffled with all the water. I thouight about moving the exhust holes up to try to fit power stering on my alpha but didn't. I'm not worried about back wash because there is over a 12" rise to the top of the risers through the S tube and and the check valve going through the transum. All this obviously depends on where you want the holes for your exhust.

Blewbyu
02-26-2001, 10:29 PM
If your risers go out of the top of your manifold about the center of the engine-the diverters should fit in most cases.If you have a "log" type manifold with risers behind the manifold.....you're out of space in an 18 or a 16.

AVickers
02-27-2001, 01:00 PM
I bought mine (that fit inside 4" tips) from a guy here on the board. They are made by Hardin Marine and they may make a 3.5" or smaller size for a Small Block. If not, they make tips w/ mufflers built in them that might work...

Here's a URL where they appear to be available.

http://www.cpperformance.com/products/Default.asp