PDA

View Full Version : prop re-pitch

riverrat
06-25-2001, 12:14 AM
Well two steps forward & three steps back. I re-pitched the 23" mirage plus to a 25" & don't like it. I am going to take it back to see if I can get it fixed. It seems that these props don't like to be messed with.the boat moves a lot faster at idle and does not like to be trimmed as much. It also has some vibration as you give it throttle.Maybe out of balance? this clears up if you plane the boat. I also seem to have lost a little top end that I was hoping to gain & it feels like it wants to walk more at the top end. It did drop the rpm about 100 or so. do ya'll have any comments on this?
thanks, the rat...

PaulO
06-25-2001, 08:19 AM
What boat was that on? Anyway, I think it depends on who does the work. Mirage type props have a progressive pitch and to measure the pitch you need to take numerous measurements along the blade surface and average it out. Then you have the cup to deal with. Some people will say that because of the complexity of the blade shape that re-pitching cannot be done. I think that it can be done by someone who really understands these props. Also, your vibration can be out of balance but, it may be ventilating at a certain point or even cavitating.
PaulO

Ranman
06-25-2001, 10:52 AM
I've got a 25p Mirage Plus on my 18' I'm running a MAG 350, Bravo One (1.65:1). I get a significant shudder at just above idle up to around 2000 rpm. It goes away though when I "take off" and get on plane. ANyone else get a shudder with a Mirage?

marcdups
06-25-2001, 07:16 PM
Riverrat wherwe are you sending your prop to, a lab or joe blow in a barn, no offence, just asking as it could make a world of difference??
Marc

north and east of the lone star and shining!!

BigGrizzly
06-25-2001, 10:29 PM
Something is wrong here Two inch increase and only 100 rpm drop. Some body did bobo. Your tach is wrong or the the propshop goofed. Time for another type of prop. I would not repitch M-plus too many minus and not enough advantages. The m-plus is a good prop don't mess with it. I found the Turbo of the same pitch works better for me and cheaper too.

Randy

riverrat
06-25-2001, 10:51 PM
really good prop shop he's been doing it for 30+ years & I have never had a problem with his work.I have not taken it back yet.I need to run it in better water conditions to know for sure.(took it to lake conroe instead of the river due to the recent floods) got the s#*t beat out of us & no real run time. but I think I probably should have left it alone. O well what's another $600.00.I'll just get another one to replace it & keep this one for a spare.. thanks for the response ya'll,
rat..