PDA

View Full Version : 22 classic wiring /dash

Jerry H. Eisele
02-24-2001, 12:58 PM
Can someone help ?I have a 68, 22 classic with a SBC ,tempest motor . It has the stock dash ,with the monatoring set up . The lights and buzzers go off inconsistentley compared to the gauges . At itle ,with 30 lb. of oil presure the light ,and buzzer go off. I used an machanical oil presure gauge and the presure is fine . If someone would have a wiring diagram , or any suggestions how to clean up the wiring etc please let me know .Thanks Jerry

Jerry H. Eisele
02-24-2001, 01:02 PM
Sorry abought the year , it's a 86 .

Murphy
02-24-2001, 05:25 PM
Hi Jerry,

This is the same as my setup so lets keep in touch and compare notes. My Tempest is currently getting a major overhaul with several performance upgrades. I had the same problem with the buzzers, in fact, my oil pressure was always a problem, hence the rebuild. Were you getting the red dash light also? I'd bet you have the same VDO guages I have. If so, make sure the oil pressure sender is correct. Some need a VDO sender and some use a US sender. Best way to find out would be to get the part # off the guage and call VDO. The temp sender could also be the problem. VDO uses their own sender here as well. Basically these senders are simple selonoids. When they sense low pressure, high, temp, etc, the circuit closes activating the buzzer (which is by the way, the most irritating sound on earth). The fact that it only happens at idle tells me the circuit is working correctly when PSI is low. So the senders are the key I think. I won't be able to test this theory until I get mine back together so let me know what you find.

Murph

Jerry H. Eisele
02-25-2001, 06:37 AM
Murph ,Thanks for the response . Do you have any wiring digrams ? I would like to run down all the wiring . One of the sending units are not hooked up ,so I'm assuming the one is running both ,the gauge and the buzzer ? I'm going to pull the motor ,due to some lifter noise ,at 1,500 rpm .Keep me posted on what your doing with yours .

------------------
Jerry from Cincinnati

doug
02-25-2001, 07:11 AM
Hi Jerry
I have the same set-up if you email
me your address I will send you a copy
of the wiring diagram (my scaner is not
working) Doug

------------------
old Yeller

RickR
02-25-2001, 07:51 AM
On late model Mercs there is a tan/blue wire which goes to the oil pressure "switch" and water temp switch. When your buzzer goes off disconnect the wire at the switch (sending unit) till you find the one causing the buzzer.

------------------
RICKR
mailto:riggerb@aol.comriggerb@aol.com</A>

Jerry H. Eisele
02-25-2001, 10:57 AM
Doug, my email address is jerrye@donzi.net Thanks for the help . I'm tring to work out the bugs .

DonziDave
02-25-2001, 11:21 AM
Jerry - I have an '86-18 with the same gauge/lights setup i.e. warning light on the oil, temp, volt, and fuel gauges.
I pulled the wire off the buzzer on day one. However, I like the warning lights because they are located near the wheel in the field of view and are set to come on before any of those systems go critical. They provide a good heads-up. Consider axing the buzzer but keep the lights.
Dave

Jerry H. Eisele
02-25-2001, 12:05 PM
Doug, My home address is Jerry Eisele 487 Meadowcrest Rd. Cincinnati Ohio 45231 Thanks again .

------------------
Jerry from Cincinnati

Murphy
02-25-2001, 03:54 PM
Doug, Jerry,

The print I have is from Mercruiser Service Manual #9 "MCM 300 Tempest", page 4F-9. The Audio Warning System is shown on most models in this section in a smaller print on pg 4F-10 and above. Is this the same thing you're looking at Doug? If not, let me know and we'll swap prints.

Murph

Murphy
02-25-2001, 04:35 PM
Another piece of tech info on possible causes of this problem... took this off the VDO website:
"Do not use sealant (including Teflon tape or plumbers pipe dope) on the threads of temperature or pressure senders. This will not allow the sender to properly ground itself to the engine and will cause the temperature to register high and the pressure to register low. This does not include floating ground senders which include a second terminal specifically for grounding."

Ours are the first type, thread ground. Don't know about you guys but that little tube of Loctite thread sealant has always been one of my favorite products. Hmmmm.

Murph

Murphy
03-11-2001, 03:24 AM
Jerry,

Did you get a chance to try any of these ideas? I'm interested in knowing if you got any improvment with this problem. May be too early in the seasion to find out but thought I'd ask.

Thanks,

Murph

Jerry H. Eisele
03-11-2001, 03:16 PM
MURPHY ,I haven't had time to work on the 22 due to the weather , and I've been working on a 16 ,trying to ready it for Cumberland . Doug Lovins sent me the wireing diagram ,plus all the info you and others have sent should really help . I'll let you know how it works out .

Thanks Jerry