PDA

View Full Version : Fuel starvation problem

KMLFAMILY
07-06-2002, 08:38 PM
I will post this to maybe help someone in the future.On my 87 22C i had a fuel starvation problem.It started at 3200 rpm then 2500 rpm then finally it woudn"t go over 1100 rpm. While searching for the problem i removed the fuel supply tube from the tank.The tube was clear.The brass fitting that the fuel line is threaded onto - clogged.It looks like a normal brass fitting on the outside, but inside it has a steel ball,spring,spacer. It seems this is some type of anti-siphoning ball ck..A minor amount of crud had stuck the ball at 3/4 closed! I removed the ball and spring . WOW what a change.

MOP
07-07-2002, 07:37 AM
Exactlty what you said it is an anti syphon valve, in the event you ever have a fuel line failure it will not allow the tank to fill your bilge. Think of it this way, you are running along with your sweetie your fuel line lets go! How long before you discover it? well if you have a decent fuel filter before the engine, I bet you will run 8-10 minutes at cruise. Now pray for no sparks! Having been in the working end of the marine bisiness fro many years I have seen to many gruesome events. Its there to save you, service the valve or replace it.

KMLFAMILY
07-07-2002, 09:21 AM
I know, safety 1st. I was frustrated when i gutted that little sucker. Clearer heads have prevailed and i will re-assemble it.I understand where a line failure with engine off it would siphon the tank,gravity feed.YIKES 50 gallons in the bilge.

RickR
07-07-2002, 09:26 AM
The antisiphon valve is a important safety item but eek! most High Performance boaters remove them because of their restriction.