PDA

View Full Version : IT ARRIVED!!!!

CDMA
02-23-2001, 06:41 PM
Today a 114# package arrived from ups with my Arneson drive. What a piece of hardware. It is obviosly never used and in perfect condition. It really is brand new. Did the gear ratio test and it is a 1.5 to 1 unit. I am not sure if that is good or bad or what but I have to look into it. I was suprised to see the drive is not black but it is a silver color almost like aluminum. Looks really wild. I should be getting the other box mid next week with all the rams and so forth. This is better then Christmas!!!

Also spent about an hour at this place here on the island called Marine Transmission. All this guy does is marine transmissions. Man does he know his stuff. Really a good guy devoted to doing a good job. Forrest, you might want to call him regarding your Merc trans. We talked about possible transmissions for the ASD-6 and he feels a worked Borg Warner 10-18 ( aka 72C) is the way to go. There are two options. Both are rebuilt from cores he supplies. One he " recommends" for 500 hp for $900-1000 and the second he says is good to 750 hp maybe 800. That one would run $1800 -1900. Both have modified internals with beefed up clutches and so forth. So I have a bit more research to do before I tell him to go ahead but looks promising.

Man I have to get going on the 18 so I can start the 22.

Chris

GEOO
02-23-2001, 09:54 PM
Chris,

That's great. I'll have to check it out. I think the 1.5 ratio will work fine. Actually you will have an easier time finding props. GEOO

RickR
02-24-2001, 07:23 AM
Nothing like new toys!
How bout some pics?

------------------
RICKR
mailto:riggerb@aol.comriggerb@aol.com</A>

BigGrizzly
02-24-2001, 01:20 PM
Hey, your loseing focus again. Just duck tape that box up and put it away. Get that 18 done, or go through another summer Donziless. This time you will get no sympathy from me.

Randy

CDMA
02-24-2001, 05:26 PM
Nah I really disagree. I am very happy with how all the boats are going and quite frankly sympathy is not something I need. There are no plans to even put the 22 in the water for this summer. I just am trying in my spare time to put together parts and so forth so when I am ready to put this thing together I don't have to spend months looking for hard to find things. To me the Donzi's are play toys. I have a 18 whaler with a 150 yamaha that is always together and always works. I have 1200+ trouble free hours on it and it serves flawlessly. If I get to this summer and the donzi/donzis are not ready so be it. I know it is easy to say now but I am not getting worked up about getting them done that I did last winter. I throughly enjoy just working on them. I mean this stuff is so new to me. I love to learn things and I am learning so much about so many different subjects playing with these 2 boats that alone is worth it's weight in gold. I am sure some of you older guys remember how much fun you had WORKING on your first real projects as kids. Your first hot rod or first boat. Well these are mine and maybe it is because I am young and maybe it is because I am ignorant but at this stage in my life I enjoy working on them as much as I do playing. I am sure as I get older I will want to play more and work less but not until after I feel I know enough. Right now I have never built an engine and it looks to me that a crate or engine builder built engine is almost economically better than building it yourself especially if you account for your time. However I want to be able to build my own engines and so forth. After I know how then maybe I will say it is time to let the guy who does it for a living do it but for know I need to do it if not just for me. So I guess all I can say is that I am happy and to me that is all that matters.

Gizz at one point maybe this spring I would like to talk to you about some big block build up thoughts.

Chris

boldts
02-24-2001, 06:31 PM
Chris,
I applaud your efforts. Believe me, through your posts, many others are learning also. I learned about winterizing simply by watching the marina do my Donzi the first winter. As long as you have a boat to get out and relax when you need a break, that's the main thing, even if it's not a Donzi. I wish I had the income and the drive to do a project/projects the way you are. At 40 years old and the family responsibilities that I have will not allow projects right now. Not to mention, The Midwest Donzi Club and it's responsibilities which I have taken on out of Love for Donzi boats. Enjoy your young years and learn all you can. As with the example of Dale Earnhardt, you never know when God will ask you to join him in Heaven.

Scott Boldt