PDA

View Full Version : Hello and help!

MLerner
07-24-2002, 01:04 PM
Hello everyone, I'ven been monitoring the site for about a year now -- great site! -- and thought I'd muster up the nerve to say hello officially.
Last year I bought a 93 Classic which I keep on Shelter Island, NY and was wondering if anyone could help me on some engine specs. I have a Cobra 5.8, OMC outdrive -- stock, far as I can tell. Does anyone know the gear ratio on this engine? Also, I've read some posts that say she packs 240 HP, others that say 265 HP -- curious which it is. Finally, she came with a viper prop 14 1/4 x 21, which I gather is stock. Would a Raker prop improve performance?

Thanks for putting up with these amateur questions. I'm learning fast as I can. Best, Michael

gjohns6896
07-24-2002, 04:39 PM
Michael, I just bought a '92 18 footer about four weeks ago, and I can't keep ENOUGH fuel in her belly. Mine is running a bit lean, and needs a tune-up, and it also packs the same Viper prop as yours. Not too bad performance. As far as the speedo says, I am running about 58 mph <tops so far> at 4100 RPMs. I know our motors will generate more RPM...more like 4600, so I am guessing that the tune-up will fix a lot of that. And I have also heard somewhere between 260 and 270 HP for our 5.7 Liter 350s. The King Cobra is a nice drive, very durable. My folks have a 1988 Cobalt with the same set-up as ours, but only the "Cobra," and the drive has NEVER failed. Also has nearly 800 hours on her.

I do not have trim tabs nor do I have the thru-hull exhaust, but I really do want those things! I bought mine after driving two different 22s, and loved the 18 as soon as I sat in it. I relate it to a Corvette with 4 seats. You sit so low in it and it is pretty quick and handles like it is on RAILS! And you also love it or you hate it, no in-between.

At any rate, I am by no means a mechanic, but I was raised on the water here, and live on it now, with a Donzi and a Sea-Doo. If you have any questions that I can help you with, I will try my best!

Cheers,
George

RickR
07-24-2002, 05:39 PM
Welcome to the Board!

If it is a King Cobra the ratio is 1.43/1, not sure about the 5.8? I'm surprised the 1993 has a Ford engine.

Good Luck with the new RIDE :D

MLerner
07-24-2002, 09:08 PM
Thanks for the reply, guys. Alas, my boat's equiped with a 5.8 litre "Cobra", not a "King Cobra" -- and I fear they might be very different animals. It is indeed a Ford 351 engine. No idea how fast she goes, as my speedo's out.

Happy boating to both of you, too, and if you hear of someplace I can answer my questions, don't hesitate to drop a line. Best, Michael

MOP
07-24-2002, 11:25 PM
? 16 or 18 Classic, I'm up in Jamesport. I am runing a 91 16 with a 302=5.0 my drive ratio is 1:5 my engine is slightly juciced I swing a 23 Viper 43-4400 running near 60 hope to get just over with my new Holley setup. If your is a stock 18 with the 351 those are the speeds I have heard from others. My buddie had a 383 Chevy with quads and more it ran up into the 70's.

MLerner
07-25-2002, 09:06 AM
M.O.P., mine is indeed a stock 18 with a 351 Ford, cobra OMC outdrive. 4200-4600 at WOT are the specs I've come across and the engine is operating at 4400 trimmed. Plan to borrow a hand-held GPS this weekend to find out just how fast she's moving. I suspect a raker prop might give me more lift and increase speed, as I'm not going nowhere near fast enough to experience chine walk (not that I'm looking forward to that!). If you ever mosy east...

Thanks for the reply, Michael

MOP
07-26-2002, 08:42 AM
Hi if you have tabs and the right prop chine walk should be at a minmum. I may be able to borrow a 21 Raker not sure if you want me to ask I will. The Viper seems to have a fair amount of lift on the 16, I use very little trim a WOT to get it loose and have no chine walk yet. I am tying to get some time to put my Holley setup on then who knows. I may try it and take it back off, right now when I do a long trip maybe 30+ miles I run 28-3000 and only burn a tad over 3 GPH. Artie the gent that sold me the setup says I will be burning 5-6 but it will give me 3-4 MPH so I will finally see 60 and a little.