PDA

View Full Version : 1978 Cigarette

Tony
06-21-2001, 09:26 PM
My wife likes spending time in Barnes & Noble, so I peruse the boating magazines. This is what I saw in the duPont Registry:

1978 20' Cigarette
Merc 280 TRS
Bicentennial Edition Finish
White Hull, martini striping
Original gel-coat, teak, trim
Garage kept, used 5-6 times/yr.
Ed Malcolm 732-530-0260

Although it's not a Donzi it looks like a sharp boat that might interest someone.
(I just searched the area code and it's located in Red Bank, New Jersey.)

[This message has been edited by Tony (edited 06-21-2001).]

PaulO
06-22-2001, 08:07 AM
There is a better one with 454Mag/Bravo1 for less than half the price on OffshoreOnly.com
PaulO

Looped
06-22-2001, 08:47 AM
Paul,
What do you have,the Donzi blues? You must be looking for a 22 Classic now, right?

Craig

PaulO
06-22-2001, 10:14 AM
Craig,
A couple of things. First, the cigarette is a great boat. It's in excellent condition, lots of extras, and it runs great. It has been a big step up in terms of rough water ability and speed from my 18 Donzi. Unfortunately, it is my nature to grow bored with things. Where I boat, the bay is huge. On a calm day, it is glass smooth and the cigarette (or anything similar) is boring. Although the boat has a great cruise speed (51-52mph at 3500rpms GPS) along smooth water that is boring. The other side of the coin is that on most Saturdays and Sundays when I get most my boating in, the crusier traffic is huge and the water is very rough. On those days, the 20 footer is not quite enough. One other sacreligious thing is that I am tired of the quest for speed using what may be the wrong platform. There are 21 foot Superboats here with 300 Merc outboards that are into the mid-high 80s and are still good rough water boats. I have actually looked at 24 foot Superboat type boats with single outboards that are faster and can cruise at a higher speed than the Donzi/Cigarette stuff (unless you go really nuts with drives/superchargers, etc.). I don't know what I will do. Maybe nothing. Maybe it is just a phase. Believe it or not, I was actually looking at 22 foot mahogany gentlemens runabout. That would get me away from the quest for speed altogether.
PaulO

Looped
06-22-2001, 10:47 AM
PaulO,
I have a friend just like you that has gone through boats like a pair of sneakers. He started off with a 21’ Wellcraft, moved on to a 24’ Banana boat that had twin modified 200 Mercs. That had an awesome ride even in the upper 70’s. Of course it was not enough for him so he bought a Formula 305 that he blew both 502’s in and had to buy 2 new ones for it. After a couple years with that we all started to have kids so he has ended up with a 30 something foot Searay cabin cruiser that we call the “Fat Boat” type. I have a feeling that he is getting itchy again because another friend of ours has a 41’ Formula
http://www.formulaboats.com/2001/cruiser/41/41pc-l.jpg
that has the best of both worlds. I just don’t think he has the 300 g’s to buy one though.

Hey Toryminx, you must know Rob McCormick that was a couple of streets over from you growing up that has the Formula right?

Craig

EricG
06-22-2001, 11:03 AM
Paul,

It's funny the phases we as boater's go through. I sold my Century because I wanted to be able to go fast in the rough stuff, and those old runabouts certainly don't do it as well - but sometimes, on calm days, I miss the inboard. Also, I've realized that it is frustrating driving a boat that most people equate with being the fastest thing on the water - and in reality, because it's only a smallblock/alpha - with no steps, it's only marginally fast at best - but because I also change directions quickly, I'm not really willing to invest the big dollars it takes to make it fast, because I know you never make money upgrading what you've got. As much as I love my Donzi (oh, and I do love it) - I've been having more fun this summer in my 16' Tahiti and on my $300 1976 jetski - there's just something about new toys....So, I just hope no matter what you next boating direction is, you still stick around here - because your technical knowledge and advice is very welcome!!

And oh yeah - I've always though the Century Coronado was a pretty cool boat http://www.donzi.net/ubb/wink.gif

EG

PaulO
06-22-2001, 02:30 PM
Eric,
You know, I actually had a 1957 Century Coronado. I don't advertise that fact because out of all the boat, car, motorcycle projects I have completed over the years, the Century is the only one that has beaten me so far. I never could get it complete. I bought it from some guy in Maine and it needed a complete resto. I still have lots of African Mahogany in my garage as a reminer of that failure! Ironically, I was obsessed with restoring and old woody right before I caught the Donzi bug. Who knows, there is always that 22 Donzi that the shed fell on! I am actually looking forward to getting out on the Cigarette this weekend. Oh, and Craig, I totally understand the path your friend took. I did that route and still have the 34' Silverton Convertible to prove it! That one I am not allowed to get rid of. My wife and kids love it.
PaulO

toryminx
06-25-2001, 03:24 PM
yeah I know Rob M he has the Formula. I just got my car polished and there was a 31 imp in the garage with 2 502's looks like it had not been used for a while http://www.donzi.net/ubb/frown.gif

RickSE
06-25-2001, 03:39 PM
You don't want to know how much this Century restoration cost.
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1273223&a=9426627&p=30965302&Sequence=0&res=high
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1273223&a=9426627&p=30965300&Sequence=0&res=high

Looped
06-25-2001, 03:42 PM
toryminx,
Was it a red one with the arch? If it was, than it is or was Kerry Malone’s from Needham. Did you have your car detailed at Buddy Savory’s place, if so Kerry could have it over there now. I’ve been on it a few times. Very heavy boats, my parents had a 73 IMP Aztec (nasty Gold color) for years while I was growing up.

Craig