PDA

View Full Version : hi guys

Moody Blu'
07-03-2002, 09:35 PM
well, I changed the universals on my volvo 250 drive, installed a new belllows, and am STILL waiting on my fork bushings, but I installed the rebuilt drive with the old bushings and will take the drive off and reinstall the new bushings when they come wink -volvo has been sluggish in shipping.

So, now for the good part.

I was hesitant to take my headerfs apart because I broke a bolt on one of the end caps last summer, but it didnt leak..
well, I proceeded to take the bolts out of the left side header and they all came out of the header no problem :) but that wasnt the side with the broken bolt form last season.

so I proceed to loosend the right side header bolts............
.........Snap
next one

SNAP
(theres four)
snap, and snap.....

well I was SOL.

so I decided to give tthe ol vise grips a try.

and thankfully they all came out...

I'm sick of these headers (glenwood headers)- big gris knows about these headers, and the log style headers are known for robbing horsepower......unlesss some one knows other wise?

so, I am in the market for new headers for my boat. but these will do for now.
anyone have any leadsa for headers for a ford 351w?

sooooooooo, I have to do a couple things with the drive ( clamp down the bellows) tighten the shifter stop plate....... etc

I changed my oil(Mobil 1 10w-30), and put a new k&N oil filter on it. I bought new ford motorsport wires.

so i have to install the headers and put the battery in and pray to god that it will crank.

will you guys cross your fingers for me? :)

I dont want to sit on the dock for 4th, last year I got my boat in on the 5th :(
I will probably end up not having something and have to wait for the 5th....

I hope not.

well, im off to finish off some work on it.....

have a fun 4th everyone!

I will either way.........

oldLenny
07-03-2002, 10:21 PM
...My fingers are crossed 3500 miles away...Good luck with all and I hope you are floating and having fun on YOUR 4th of July!!! :) :) :)

boldts
07-03-2002, 10:34 PM
Fingers and toes crossed Moody. Good luck with her! :cool:

Moody Blu'
07-03-2002, 11:29 PM
thanks guys.

now for an update.

did you know that stell wool is gods secret to prepping/cleaning the muck off of a outdrive for painting?

well it is!

I just got done bolting everything on the drive, All I have to do now is make the gaskets for the header end caps and bolt them up tommorow.

just before I proceeded to take a steel wool pad #3 and get all the grime off my drive.

Why?

so I can wake up and go tape off the drive and paint it with the volvo white.........

then after that I can bolt the headers on and throw in the battery, and with a real twitchy
right hand try to crank her..........

I hope my carb isnt all clogged up.
if it is i gotta call my friend bryan up and beg to use his carbureator.........

then once I run her, im gonna paint the bottom, then get ready to throw her on the trailer from the blocks( A fun job) wink

hmmmmmm, I may just not paint her bottom, since I am going to take her out of the water and compound the whoel boat next week, and buy all new stickers for her.....

then all I need is a cockpit cover(which is on order)from built rite THANKS for both numbers SCOTT!!

and then I need a new interior and my boat will be in great shaoe for the season...
heh, who needs seats........ :cool:

as long as she runs!!

Moody Blu'
07-04-2002, 11:43 AM
well its 12:40 and I just finished up on the left side header........

I have to put the right side header on and fire her up.
ITS A PAIN, took me 2 hours to bolt up one header. milimeter by milimeter..

I hope she starts............

Moody Blu'
07-04-2002, 06:14 PM
i finished, and im waiting for my friend to bring by the trailer.

damn those headers were a b@tch

BRIAN73
07-05-2002, 11:43 AM
Moody Blu,

I also have a set of cranky Glenwood exhaust manifolds. After removing them a couple of times, you learn some little tricks.
I used ARP 12point bolts to make wrenching a little easier.
I only wish I had the space of a 18. The 16 is a whole different ball game as far as space is concered with log style manifolds.

Brian Englert

Rootsy
07-05-2002, 02:10 PM
if you want to alleviate future seizures coat the threads with ARP thread lubricant or some never-seize. i religiously use a never-seize on all threads that come in contact with extremely hot surroundings or go into aluminum. the thread lubricant really allows you to get extremely accurate and even torques on bolts and acts as an anti-seize compound too...

Moody Blu'
07-05-2002, 09:15 PM
ya I use milodon header bolts they have a 3/8 head and I use the 12 point side to crank down on them.

im fed up with those headers, I made new gaskets and there not leaking in the fornt, but in the rear of the header(by the riser) the left header is papping away.

you know pap pa pap pap pap, leaky riser gasket.

thank god its only exhaust this gasket is exhaust gasses only, no water leaking out on this side.

I tried to undo the risers and the bolts wouldnt budge. and I figured im not gonna get lucky twice and get some extra broken bolts out, so I left them alone....

my boat ran great though!!!

but, I have a water intake problem.
im going to put a new hose from the drive to the transom piece to see if that stops my water problem. (everytime I go on plane I lose all suction for water)- I hope its the hose...
other wise im goin for a water pick up system......

Rootsy
07-05-2002, 09:25 PM
Moody Blu,

good to hear she runs good! just watch that exhaust leak... if it gets too bad and you run her too hard you run the risk of burning an exhaust valve.... that could just ruin a whole summer...

Gearhead99
07-06-2002, 06:06 AM
That pesky little exhaust leak will only get worse as the gasket burns away.

You might as well fix it now before you hurt something.

My $.02

mattyboy
07-06-2002, 10:55 AM
Moody,
just a thought have you checked the hose from the
jabsco pump to the circulating pump, it might be
collapsing at high rpms

Matt

Moody Blu'
07-06-2002, 06:22 PM
matty boy, I installed non collapsable hose lastyear, so that is ruled out.

I made a new gasket today for my intake spout?(runs from the pick up out of the drive to the transom)- i think its still leaking....

it seemed to help a bit but it is still sucking air every once and a while........

this is really annoying me, im about to say screw it and drill a hol ein my boat for a water intake pick up(above the water line....)

what should I do?

I plan on wrapping the exhaust leak with that wraping stuff and clamping it down..

maddad
07-06-2002, 11:17 PM
I also had a problem with drawing air into the cooling loop.It turned out my fresh water flush cap needed a new hose washer.If you have one,take a look.

Moody Blu'
07-07-2002, 04:56 PM
I do have one but its after my water pump.

i went for a test run yesterday after I installed the new gasket.it seems that now when the temp does start to rise instead of waiting 30 seconds for the water to come out the thru hull it now takes like 10 seconds...

so I think im headed in the right direction.

I think the new gasket helped it but it didnt completely seal it.

I bought some rubber orings and I think I may give them a try.

but first, im going to triple up on the gasket and see if that helps.

after that im try orings.

if that dont work im gonna smash the drive witrh a hammer and run a water pick up........ eek!

Rootsy
07-07-2002, 05:08 PM
Moody,

try some permatex Ultra Black or Ultra Blue on the gasket or just skip the gasket altogether and put a thin bead of the permatex in it's place.. let it setup for a bit after assembly before trying it... this will also help if oyu have any warped surfaces you are trying to seal. stacking gaskets doesn't really always cure the problem, you just end up leaking between the gasket layers...

Donzified
07-08-2002, 10:49 PM
I too have alum. logs for exhaust,allways a pain to keep sealed.The last guy that milled them -ucked up so I took them back and he made it 3 sided so now its realy bad. I want $1,400.00 stainless marine ...but $1,400.00.Soooo it's summer no $1,400.00 and summer is short,Double blue Fellpro gaskets almost did it but a small leak is a big leak in short order. Soooo a small round piece of bronze stock fitted around the opening,between the two gaskets then tighten down.

All the time I spent doing this I kept telling my self "This will never work". It Did. Then I kept saying "This Will Never Last" It is... At least two weeks worth.

This is half @ss at best,But summer is short in Detroit.

" If you don't have what it takes to do it right the first time how do you get what it takes to do it 3 times?"