PDA

View Full Version : 1989 Z-25

Frank0
06-20-2001, 09:34 PM
Thanks to everyone who commented on the Blackwidow 24 last month that I was considering. Unfortunately, it sold the day I began making my travel arrangements to see it. But the good news is that I found a 25 foot and only had to travel 300 miles (compared to 1300). The question I have has to do with shifting out of drive. The tach reads about 650-700 at idle. When I grab the shift lever to pull it into neutral it does not want to come out. I have taken it to a mechanic and they spent 3 hours checking all of the cables, idle, and the idle interupter and the say it is all the way it should be. Most of it was replaced 2 years ago so it is fairly new. If you pull very slowly it will come out of gear just fine (very little force) but when you bring it in to a dock in the wind you have to plant both feet and crank on the lever to get it to move when you want it to. It only does this when the engine is running. If it is not the lever moves freely in all directions. Has anyone else had this type of situation? Is this the way it is supposed to work? What else should I check? Other than that I love this boat. I have 3 other boats and have already decided that I will probably never use them again. I actually can cruise to the other end of our lake and back on 36 gallons of fuel (110 miles). My 20 foot Stingray takes 35. I would rather ride in the Donzi anyday for that extra gallon. Anyone have any idea what speed I should be able to get out of a 25 foot with a 460 and a 23 prop? The speedo says 55 but I think it feels faster than that. Have not had time to put the gps to the test yet.

Thanks for any help you may have.
Chris

Bandit
06-21-2001, 07:43 AM
Mine is a little stiff getting into neutral especially after I run her for awhile. I found that if you pull back almost when it is in the neutral position and you start to feel the tension to let off a little and then pull it on back again that it usually slids right in.

------------------
Bandit...

EricG
06-21-2001, 10:11 AM
Congrats on the new boat!! You said you have a boat rental business on the Lake over there? Is the boat in the water? I'll be in Chelan this Sunday-Wednesday, where are you located, I'll try to stop by in my Z21 to compare!!

I wish I had some input on the shifting problem.....sorry.

EG

Frank0
06-21-2001, 11:40 AM
The boat will be in the water. The City Marina just below the Lake View Drive-in or by the bumper boats pool is where it will be. I am going to head uplake at somepoint next week but am not sure when. I don't have a specific location where I rent out of. I deliver to the launch nearest to where the renters are staying. I have not taken very many pictures yet but there are a few at www.back-country.com (http://www.back-country.com)

EricG
06-21-2001, 12:12 PM
Cool Pictures!! I'm camping over at the State Park, and I'll be cruising to Steheiken on Monday, and probably heading into town on Tuesday - I'll look for you..My boat's yellow, BTW.

EG

Frank0
06-21-2001, 08:24 PM
A little update on the shifting problem. Today we lost forward and reverse gears. The lower pinion gear broke in half. Hopefully they can have it back together by Mon or Tuesday. But here in the middle of nowhere, it is difficult to get parts in a hurry. Oh well, maybe it will shift better.

BigGrizzly
06-21-2001, 08:50 PM
Is it a Bravo? If it is, its in the shift paw in the upper case in the outdrive , No its not suppose to be that way.

Randy

Lonzis Donzi
07-05-2001, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Frank0:
Anyone have any idea what speed I should be able to get out of a 25 foot with a 460 and a 23 prop? The speedo says 55 but I think it feels faster than that. Have not had time to put the gps to the test yet.
Chris

55 sounds about right.

---------------

------------------
'88 Z-21, bigblock, bravo