PDA

View Full Version : Best thru-hull exhaust with silent choice...OMC

gjohns6896
07-02-2002, 03:37 PM
I am looking for any suggestions on installing thru-hull exhaust, but I would also like the "captain's call" option. All I have right now is how the exhaust came from the factory...meaning through the prop.

I am guessing I would need to buy a kit or something and the necessary hardware to perform such operation.

Any help would be considered!

George

tomyboy
07-03-2002, 11:36 AM
I AM LOOKING FOR THE SAME INFO. I JUST OBTAINED A 90 SWEET SIXTEEN WITH OMC THROUGH PROP EXHAUST. IF I COME ACROSS ANY INFO I WILL LET YOU KNOW

gjohns6896
07-03-2002, 10:48 PM
I have been chatting with a guy about this as well, seems he found a kit, but has not told me where he found it or how much it is. I do know that he has not purchased it YET. I think the main problem we are facing has something to do with the steering pump being in the way or something like that. I only drive it, I am no mechanic. At any rate, this kit he found said it would work, but there would be lots of extra hoses laying around in the engine compartment, just to get it to fit properly.

I am still waiting to see what he comes up with.

Cheers,
George

MOP
07-04-2002, 11:50 AM
Hi if you fellows go to the URL below you will see one of several makes of diverters. I to have an OMC 91 16 with a mildly juiced 302 which might run just a little faster with open exhaust. My problem is just like yours or power steering is in the way. I've been looking at the idea of reversing the elbows dropping the exhaust hose dwon by the stringers and back up to Gil's Silent Choice unite mounted outboard to clear the transom stuff. problem alot of hose in a tiny compartment. The other thought was to go to hydraulic steeing then go straight out the back.

http://www.marineparts.com/PARTSPAGES/Gil/gil3.htm

gjohns6896
07-06-2002, 06:45 PM
Thanks NY!!!

I contacted John Williams who is the Sales Mgr at MarineParts.com and he wrote back asking what I wanted...I only wanted to know HOW MUCH IT COSTS!!!

At any rate, I still don't know the exact price for my unit. I hope I find out soon and stop getting the runaround!

George :rolleyes:

gjohns6896
07-08-2002, 09:30 AM
JW just wrote me back and he said this:

"Corsa Diverters System $950.00, plus shipping The kit includes a pair of electric diverters, a pair of thru transom exhaust tips, and all of the mounting and electrical hardware needed to install the system including the hose and clamps."

Is this a "good deal?"

A Grand is a lot of money for some exhaust pieces, if you ask me. But will this system even work on the OMC? Like I said...will it fit in the engine compartment or will I have to relocate anything?

George :rolleyes: :confused:

PaulO
07-08-2002, 01:00 PM
Just a little story, take it for what it is worth:
1982 20" cigarette, late model 454 Mag bravo 385 HP. Had silent choice, worked great. At wide open throttle or any other rpm switch back and forth between through prop and through transom - not an iota of difference in performance. Just louder.
PaulO

Staffan Berg
07-08-2002, 03:35 PM
I installed the Corsa silent choice system with electric switch on my 22 Classic with OMC king Cobra.
It was easy to install and is working perfect.

This was 5-6 years ago and I bought direct from Corsa Perfomance. I paid about 700 dollars.

gjohns6896
07-08-2002, 05:18 PM
Thanks PaulO! I will take that into consideration. but not only am I looking for performance...A Donzi should SOUND like a Donzi, right? You can't even tell mine is running.

Staffan, I appreciate your comments! I would like to do this to mine, but like I said, NOW it costs $950. WOW! eek!

But I will keep searching for what I want.

George

farmer tx
07-10-2002, 12:20 AM
George, This spring I installed a wishbone and silant choice to my thru hulls. While looking for parts I ran across a salvage yard in Fl. that had a number of new captains call units for about 700. if I remember.It was either Daytona Surplus Marine (386-255-3528) or Dons Salvage (727-576-8577) or (727-572-7858) ask for Billy. I don't remember the name of the business for the third phone number.

PaulO
07-10-2002, 08:19 AM
Scott,
That would be great. And it was great meeting you! Hope to see you again soon.
PaulO

gjohns6896
07-10-2002, 08:22 AM
Mark, thank you! I am checking those guys out right now.

So, was that a good move for you, to install the silent choice I mean? Problem is for me it is TOO silent...I NEED thru-hull exhaust. I only have thru-prop right now, and want it to at least SOUND like a Donzi! :D :cool: wink

Cheers,
George