PDA

View Full Version : Another starting problem

Brose
07-02-2002, 10:57 AM
Getting warmed up for the 4th!

Any ideas here are appreciated. My X-18 starts just fine when cold. If I shut down and attempt to restart after running awhile the starter REALLY seems to labor and hardly cranks the engine.

Is it simply a case of the starter getting too hot or am I missing something? How do I cure this problem?

Rootsy
07-02-2002, 11:14 AM
could be a couple of things... #1, weak starter or battery... i;d perform a load test on the battery cause generally a starter will have issues with a cold or hot motor... if the battery load checks "good" then see what kind of draw you get when turning the motor over... if the starter is weak it should draw excessive amperage and severly load the battery. #2 ignition timing and vapor lock which will happen when the motor is hot. the ignition being too far advanced fires too early on the compression stroke before the crankshaft is over center and causes a vapor lock situation which acts as a brake on the motor... this is especially noticable in higher compression motors... also when you shut down if you have unburned raw liquified fuel in a cylinder that just completed the intake stroke and has closed the valve, it can vaporize with and cause a motor to be difficult to turn over, vapor lock again. for these scenarios i'd check your ignition timing to begin with and set it to factory specs for a start. if that doesn't cure it and the battery is good investigate the carb to make sure it isn't dripping after you shut the motor off...

Brose
07-02-2002, 12:21 PM
Thanks Jamie. You've given me several items worth checking.

Happy boating.