PDA

View Full Version : Question for Big Grizzly

Philip47
08-31-2002, 05:29 PM
What improvemants have you made to your power steering system? I can't afford hyd steering and with the new motor will be pushing 80, i read where you had tricked out your power steering, care to share any secrets?

Moody Blu'
08-31-2002, 07:19 PM
I dont think griz uses power steering?

If you search for a topic that I posted recently

ahh here it is

http://www.donzi.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=005155#000025

Philip47
09-01-2002, 12:39 PM
Moody, big griz has more than one boat.........
He posted he made some mods to the power steering on his Criterion and it ran stable at 78 Okay?

Moody Blu'
09-01-2002, 04:22 PM
mm kay

Lil Grizz
09-01-2002, 04:32 PM
Dads away at Eufala so before this post gets buried in new stuff maybe I can help. The corsican has cable non-power steering. The criterion had the normal factory power assist up until last week. He now has an IMCO dual ram full hydralic setup. The boat was twitchy at speeds over 70ish so he opted for safety and went with the imco stuff. He says the difference is like night and day, the new steering is rock solid and there is no business at 80+ anymore. IMO you dont want to go cheap on steering, if its a problem fix it right. Steering is too important not to overkill when doing the project. Spend the extra and get the security. Besides if you are gonna do all that work why not save time and only do it once? Its no more difficult to install a full hydraulic. I know cost is relevant but if you are gonna be running 80 sloppy steering can get you killed.

ToonaFish
09-02-2002, 02:03 AM
Fresh from a much dreamt of ride in the Criterion...

One of the highlights of my Eufala was watching Big Griz take both hands off the steering at 77mph (gps) in a fair amount of chop... and I didn't even think about screaming (or need to change my panties). That was the tightest handling boat I've ever ridden in... it just ate the rough stuff. I'll grant you it's not a Classic, (so, yes, it's a bit apple to oranges) but I'm convinced his new steering was the ticket to awesome control at speed. I also ran at that speed with Roadtrip in fierce chop and his brand new steering was even further argument for the absolute value of hydrallic steering... when you've got that much raw power, your steering simply cannot be too precise.

Bunches,

Celene 'fast and tight' Howard

Philip47
09-02-2002, 11:25 AM
I totaly agree about Hydr steering...........but can't afford it till spring, which takes me back to my question to Big Griz in a thread he said he had done some mods to tweak his power steering and his boat was stable @ 78 mph.
All I was asking is for Big Grizz to share any power steering improvments he could with me to improve my boat till I can aford Hydr steering.
Also what was the coat of the IMCO Hyro steering kit? and the best dealer to purchase through?
Thank You

BigGrizzly
09-02-2002, 01:38 PM
P-47 You are talking about the post i made almost a year and a half ago. I had two devises, One called AR planes from FastMotorsports .com I think, They are much like the plane on Geoo's Arneson drive. this is noce but slowe you down about 1->2 mph, It is good in the rough becaus3e it plants the stern in the water. The other is a device I made which isn't in production yet that does aslmost the same job but doesn't plant the stern and doesn't cost any speed. Strangly enough no one noticed it at Eufaula this year or last year. But the Hydraulic steering is the best. Phil if your in a 18 clasic you will have a major problem. at 80 with a outdrive. I have been there and yoube riding on your left tab most of the time on a rthand drive and right tab on leftie. If you have a 22 it will want list to the left with a std mrec Bravo. What I will tell you everything is fine untill about 76->78 then the whole ball game changes. The real truth is I actually did more work to the handling than the motor. As for Dealer cost you need to call, I wheel and deal so what I pay may be different.

Randy, Owner of Donzis since 1966

Philip47
09-02-2002, 05:26 PM
will Hydr steering also help with chine walk?

blackhawk
09-02-2002, 06:10 PM
Philip47,

If your boat is running 80 mph put your money into external steering. I put full external to the helm on mine this year and it is a night and day difference. Rock solid and VERY fast adjustments. I can let go of the wheel at any speed and she tracks straight as an arrow.

Just my $.02

Scott

Philip47
09-02-2002, 09:33 PM
What kind of cash are we talking about? ball park low to high Please

BigGrizzly
09-03-2002, 12:00 AM
I think you are looking at 35-3700 for full helm to stern fot twin rams or 2500 for single ram. the other optiion the external kit that runs off your existing brazil valve or Sagnaw system for 1500. Look for yourself at www.Imco (http://www.Imco) marine,com

Randy, owner of Donzi since 1966