PDA

View Full Version : water pick ups..........

Moody Blu'
07-02-2002, 09:52 AM
I need some leads on some nice water pick ups formy classic and if anyone uses one I would like to know where would be a good placement of a water pick up.

I got a price of 99 bucks for one from some performance marine shop.

I was thinking maybe I could make one or find one cheaper then $90.

anyone got any leads for me?

the reason I want to use a water pick up is because I suspect I have a air leak in my volvo drive and would rather upgrade then fix my 1971 water pick up in my volvo 250.

are there any draw backs to a stand alone water pick up?

thanks in advanced....

*edit*
if anyone knows of any places please leave the phone number...... thanks

2 days and counting for july 4th.......
drive is rebuilt and I need to paint the hull(petit trinidad sr) and try to suck out some debris from the tank(I know I know) then hope she fires up...

MOP
07-02-2002, 08:19 PM
I have used a bronxe transom mount pickup in the past with very good results, I did have to mount a strainer inboard due to an eel grass problem down here. I put a vacuum gauge inline after the strainer so I knew when it was time to pick out the junk.

Moody Blu'
07-02-2002, 08:55 PM
IN THE PAST?
you mean you dont use one anymore because?????????

anyone else have experience with the waterpick ups?

I need help.....
Help!

MOP
07-02-2002, 09:15 PM
No I use the drive pump, but for anyone with a engine sea water pump they are great. They build up pressure at speed.

Moody Blu'
07-02-2002, 09:25 PM
by sea waterp pump are you refering to a jabsco like pump?
I have this...

what do you mean they build up pressure, you mean they can flow water without the water pump correct?(not that I would use one without a pump.

I already have a strainer for my jabsco pump...

has anyone else used a water pick up?

it seems no one has or doesnt want to bother replying :confused:

MOP
07-02-2002, 10:02 PM
I do still see them all the time on older hot boats and did see a few up on the St. Lawrence at the hot boat run. Yes they will flow water with out a pump. They are about 8 inches tall with the through hull at the top with locater screws or bolts on the sides, the opening on the one I had was about 1-1/2 by alittle over 3/4 cut on a 45 facing forward. Thing weighed about 2-1/2 pounds. It never plugged up at speed only going in and out of the canal.

Moody Blu'
07-02-2002, 10:15 PM
how would you unplug it?

the on I saw on a sonic went through the hull right by the bottom.
after you typed that, I dont think I want to get the type I saw on the sonic.

I think I may get a pipe type which goes through the boat ABOVE the waterline...

but wouldnt that slow down the flow of water?

I know theres some racers on this forum, someone help me out.
whats the best setup?

MOP
07-07-2002, 05:56 PM
Hi the only thing that sticks below the bottom is the end pickup maybe 2 1/2" wide and sticks down about an 1 1/4" very little restriction.

Forrest
07-09-2002, 05:11 PM
Broque, I have a good used Merc Hi-Performance cast-aluminum water pickup that I can sell for $50 plus shipping. Let me know if you want to see a picture or two.

Remember, in addition the the pickup, you will need a ball-valve (about $25) to keep your boat from sinking in case the raw-water hose ever pops off or breaks. Also you will need to fabricate a block-off plate or of aluminum or stainless for your Volvo transom assembly to keep water from entering through the original inlet.

MOP
07-09-2002, 07:56 PM
A quick and pretty trusty fix for the inlet pipe is the rubber caps found on exhaust manifolds. On the new inlet run a well supported high loop above the water line if it worries you. Don't forget all drive feed lines are below water they can all sink you.