PDA

View Full Version : input needed for 2nd offer on Hornet II, h-e-l-p

WOT-sup
07-01-2002, 07:36 PM
Launched a trial baloon offer for the Hornet. Didn't fly. The other fortunante guy in the purchase attempt is ahead of me in his $ offer, but was declined also. The opportunity is an unusual circumstance, story when dust settles.

The fear factor comes from the engine: about a 10 year old OMC 460/King Cobra with only break-in hours. Engine and drive look great, but not run for 10 years (owner is knowledgable boater reputable person, but absent from the endevour). Salt water op but multi-flushed. The boat will be sold in a few days 'as- is', no chance for a mechanic to check it out (or even see if it is frozen) from this 'estate'.

Realizing there is a chance of 'dead-iron', I offered $4,500, which would be high if the engine is toast. On the other hand, IF it runs....

How brave would you guys be????????????
BUC book on this boat (average 'sail-away' condition) is mid-7K with a big block. Check my topic from 6/30 for write-up about boat.

Any insights or ideas out there????? :confused: Look fwd to the cumulative wisdom forthcoming!

Biscayne Bay :) me there in a Hornet :D
me in a Hornet with dead-iron that I paid too much for :mad:

Woodsy
07-01-2002, 08:06 PM
Wot-SSSSUP...

Do not fret... I think the drive will be fine, might need a little massaging, but I don't think you will be looking at a total replacement. THose King Cobra drives are pretty tough.

The 460 Ford is another no fret... the parts are pretty cheap... all you really have to worry about is the OMC igniton. That was a bitch. Bring a socket set, and see if you can turn the motor over by hand, or, disconnetc the pug wires and put a battery to her and see if she spins over. You will no matter what have to replace the plugs, wires, hoses, belts, and more than likely the gas tank at some point. If you think its a buy it and put it in the water boat, just take a pass... she will need some work before I would put her in the water and trust her to get me home.

Woodsy :D :D

Gary S.
07-02-2002, 07:31 AM
Maybe this will help make up your mind a little, I would have GLADLY paid 7 grand for a complete boat that floats and has all it's parts than the few hundred I paid for the "Dead Bug" sitting next to my house. I will have more than 7 in just the hull and deck before I put in any power, interior, wiring, find a windshield, ect.

WOT-sup
07-02-2002, 07:32 AM
Good input Woodsy. Glad to get encouraging words on the OMC product. Confidence is building in possibility of avoiding immediate repower.

Gary S- looks like you just posted. That's a good point. Starting with a complete, sound hull is frequently less 'expensive' in the long run. Thanks for your $ value assessment.

Not out of the running yet.

waleyetwo
07-02-2002, 10:14 AM
if you like it buy it.no mater what a boat alway costs you money. boating = cash + more cash + more cash = :) :) :) :) eek!

RH
07-02-2002, 11:11 PM
If it is a sure thing that the boat will be sold, make another offer. I personally love the lines on the Hornets and thik that you will be fine. I know what you are feeling on the engine and outdrive. Can you get some time to at least do a compression check or see if it will turn over? IS the Cobra the original engine combination? I was unaware that they offered the Cobra drive in the Hornet II's. Keep us posted!
RH

WOT-sup
07-03-2002, 12:26 AM
Good thoughts folks. Yep, I agree, another offer is in order, but I'm starting to see the light. Good chance I'll get out gunned on this one if my hunch is right.

Waleyetwo, you're right, b-o-a-t stands for: break- out-another-thousand. Kind of like chouw-dah, right?

RH, the King Cobra was a repower from about 10 years ago, not sure what the original was except that it was a smaller (260?). Not likely on the engine check. It will probably be a done deal (one way or the other)by the weekend, which will be before I get back there.

RH
07-03-2002, 07:40 AM
Do you have a good rapport with the seller? Sometimes this helps in your bargaining. Just lay it out on the line with the seller and let him know what your thoughts are and maybe he will come to a better conclusion with you. Sometimes, I just get to know the seller and talk things out. I let them know what my intentions are with what I am trying to buy and play into their emotions. It is amazing how they will come around and want you to be the purchaser. Just some food for thought, and maybe not applicable in this situation. Good luck and keep us in the loop!
RH

WOT-sup
07-03-2002, 05:47 PM
RH- with limited opportunity, have met and discussed boat with the owner. Owner is looking for, in part I believe, a blind bid from the prospectives that reflects the most 'collector value' in this boat, accepting optimistic 'whatever' engine status as a secondary consideration.

There is validity to his point, up to some degree.

How brave to get with this?? How far ($) to go?? I'll be answering that in a few days. Money does count for me , not sure about the other 'participant'.

Sure hope I get to try that 3M product, even if as an interim measure!

Any other thoughts or ideas out there sportsfans????????

WOT-sup
07-09-2002, 11:09 AM
TONIGHT may be the verdict in this process! Stay tuned.