PDA

View Full Version : Starting a hot 502 Mag

Greg Maier
08-29-2002, 06:06 PM
When I have to shutdown my engine and restart it while the engine is still hot, the sound from the engine is very different from when I start it cold. Can anybody tell me why this is? When it is hot it almost sounds like the engine is not going to start.

RickR
08-29-2002, 06:33 PM
If it is a Carb engine I would look at the choke first. It might be sticking closed.

mattyboy
08-29-2002, 06:42 PM
does it start in the same amount of time or does it take longer?
could the change in sound be due to the amount of water in the exhaust when hot? just a guess

Matt

KMLFAMILY
08-29-2002, 06:51 PM
We need a more detailed description of the symptons.Turn"s over normal but doesn"t start,(flooding or weak spark).Turns over slower than normal (weak battery or worn starter,poor connections)Noise sounds like ?

Greg Maier
08-29-2002, 06:56 PM
It is not a carb engine, it is fuel injected. It starts when it is hot, it just seems to take longer(maybe my imagination) and it sounds more muffled. Does seawater drain out of the system slowly? Would there be more seawater in the system after stopping the engine and sitting for 5 minutes than there would be after the engine has sat for a day?

mattyboy
08-29-2002, 07:09 PM
my 16 slowly drains after shutdown may be 3-5 minutes, but mine is a raw water pump in the hull not thru the OD, but it should be the same after a day I would say most of the water has drained

Matt

blackhawk
08-30-2002, 08:39 AM
Greg,

When you say "hot" what temps are we talking? I nver shut my motor imediately after a hard run. I ALWAYS let it idle for 1-2 minutes until the water temp goes down and then shut it down. That way your block is not sitting there with hot water in it. I have no idea if this would help your starting problem but it's worth a try.

Scott

Greg Maier
08-30-2002, 08:47 AM
Scott, I'm talking about 160 degrees, normal idling temperature. Here are the details. I had the Donzi on the lift and I was flushing the engine with freshwater and salt away. I turned off the engine. I started it about 5 minutes later and it sounded very different when it was turning over than it normally does when I start it after it has sat for hours or days. Once it turned over it sounded fine, it was just during the starting process that it sounded different.

blackhawk
08-30-2002, 08:58 AM
Greg

My motor sounds a LITTLE different when it is hot because everything turns over easier. But, I really don't know how much different because when it's cold(first start of the day) it takes 2-3 cranks and when it's hot it's a blip of the key. I'll pull the tether on mine this weekend and turn it over a few times just to see.

How is she running with the 31's? Did you get your steering on yet?

Scott

Greg Maier
08-30-2002, 09:22 AM
She is running fine with the 31's. I've taken a day off of work and I'm getting ready to run her now. I'm going to put the steering on in September. I'm taking a week off of work, which is how long I predict it will take me to do it. I'm going to go outside of the Kplanes with my IMCO steering.