PDA

View Full Version : saw the Hornet II

WOT-sup
06-30-2002, 10:09 PM
Saw the Hornet today. Overall, it's better than I'd expected. This boat hasn't been used (or had a bath) in 10 years! Very original with few additions. Hull shows little use in terms of dings/scratches/cracks, it is severely faded red(used to be red), and basically sound. Found a little rotted wood core( transom at the lift ring bracket attach point; bulkhead between the engine compartment/back seat). Stringers look/sound good anywhere I could access them. Floor is solid with a small area of possible concern. Front seat is a step-thru bench seat as opposed to 2 buckets.

All the hardware is there, the windshield is intact, wiring looks good, dash intact and original wheel. Throttle is broken and the upholstery is shot (all will have to be redone). Gas tank is '77 vintage, so although it looked/smelled OK, it's actual status and longevity are questionable.

As far is the hull goes, I'd jump on this boat in a heart-beat. This would be a great ride and what a looker.

Repowered in 19xx with an OMC 460 King Cobra and began the 10 yr lay up shortly thereafter. Very low hrs, but status unknown 'ran great last outing' says the owner. The boat will probably be sold 'as-is' before the engine brought back to life and a determination made as to it's status (also I'm leaving tomorrow for a week, grrr). Both eng/od looked good, but they are the big variable as to value on this boat. Dead iron or got some life left before the big $ outlay for repower: that's the question.

Trailer is an old Rocket break-frame. Running gear is shot and not usable, but the frame is solid. Local company, Torino, will pick it up and get it rolling again (economically supposedly, find out tomorrow).

Will try to upload some pics tomorrow if anyone is interested.

Question: anyone successful compounding (or something) dull red gel coat back to 'descent looking' or is it a trip to the paint shop in order?

What do you folks in Donziland say?

Sleeping on this one,
Brad

harbormaster
06-30-2002, 10:13 PM
You could probably bring the red back with some buffing or slight wet sanding.

RH
07-03-2002, 08:13 AM
Get us some pictures! I have had great luck through the years with 3m Rubbing compound/cleaner wax. I have used it on many Century boats as they always seemed to fade. I used a buffing wheel and took my time. For any major scratches, I wet sanded and then buffed her back with the compound.
RH