PDA

View Full Version : Alpha SS problem pics

Murphy
06-16-2001, 01:42 PM
Some people may find this informative so I thought I'd post it for viewing. The Alpha SS lower gear case I received has a different profile than my Alpha upper. My upper is an 86 and the SS was made from 86-89 I think. Nevertheless, as you will see in the pics, the lower is about 2" longer. The drives are displayed side by side only a few inches apart. You can see that the front bolt holes, drive shafts, middle pair of bolt holes all line up. But when you get to the tail end, the back bolt hole on the alpha is a good bit back from where my upper has it. Also, there is an alignment pin on the front of the lower that my upper does not have a receiver for. I'd consider picking up a different upper, but then I'd wonder about compatibility with my bell housing. My GUESS is I'm looking at the difference between a Gen I and Gen II or maybe even a Merc 1 to Alpha problem. Any feeback or ideas are welcome at this point.
http://www.pixhost.com/pixm/murphy4/photo-1.jpg
http://www.pixhost.com/pixm/murphy4/photo-2.jpg

Thanks,

Murph

CDMA
06-16-2001, 08:37 PM
Murph,

I hate to break it to you but I think it is not a gen 1 to gen 2 problem. I believe that the SS has a specific upper housing.

Chris

Murphy
06-16-2001, 09:12 PM
Hi Chris,

I think you are correct. First, the SS was only produced from 86-89. The Gen II didn't start production until 91. So it seems unlikely the SS lower was designed to bolt up to a Gen II upper. Oddly enough, when you look at the schematics for the Alpha Gen I and Gen II (I've been looking at these on the HLSM website) the longer profile and alignment pins on the SS appear to match the Gen II design. On the other hand, the SS does not thru-bolt like the Gen II. It has the Gen 1 style studs that bolt under the ventilation plate. Live and learn. Lesson 1: If you purchase an Alpha SS, make sure you get the entire stern drive. It is a hybrid from top to bottom. Lesson 2: An Alpha SS probably will not match up with a Gen II Gimbal. These are just two more facts I'll put in my book titled "Things I Learned After It Was Too Late"

Murph

jr
06-16-2001, 09:32 PM
Murphy, Chris is right. It says specifically in my Clymers manual that a Alpha SS is not compatible with a Alpha upper. However, the maintance and repair proceedures are the same. And a SS outdrive will bolt up to a Alpha bell housing.

I have a mix and match. SS and a Gen I transom assembly.

Jeff

marcdups
06-17-2001, 07:35 AM
murph, I will talk to bobby monday but if it dosen't work send it back, sorry for the confusion.
Marc

yes the ss is shorter than a regular drive!!