PDA

View Full Version : Bite the bullet

Murphy
06-16-2001, 11:38 AM
The Alpha SS I was so excited about arrived yesterday. When I opened the box it turns out to be only the lower gear casing, not the entire drive. Turns out it doesn't match my upper. Must be a Gen I -vs- Gen II problem. The SS lower gear case is longer from front to back than my existing upper and has a couple of line-up studs that my upper has no matching holes for. So i'm back to square 1. I'm thinking maybe it's time to just get a Bravo and be done with this nonsense before Summer ends. Any recommendations? Anybody know where I can pick one up without busting the bank?

Thanks,

Murph

jr
06-16-2001, 09:39 PM
Murphy, check Offshoreonly.com. Under their parts for sale board there are a couple SS's for sale.

Would you mind telling me what you paid for your lower?

I have been kicking around the idea of selling my 2 SS's complete with the transom assembly, but 1. I don't know how much I would end up spending going to a bravo complete. And 2. I like having them on the boat, I just don't know if they can take the 425 HP I'm going to be putting into them.

Good luck. But if I do sell them I'll put them up here first. I would like someone that appreciates them, get them.

Murphy
06-17-2001, 08:17 AM
I agreed to pay $1200 for the Alpha SS, but keep in mind I thought that was for the entire drive not just the lower. Guess anything that sounds too good to be true probably is. The conversion to Bravo is expensive since you need both the drive ($3000+) and the gimbal ($1500). There are additional changes required to the steering and throttle hardware. It's a major upgrade. The Brave is heavier and has more drag in the water, but with the kind of horses you're talking about that isn't an issue. On the other hand, your horses are your Alpha's worst enemy. An Alpha was designed for a max of 300 hp. Even under the best conditions with careful handling, regular lube changes and a drive shower, 350 horsepower is pushing it. I mean there are guys out there putting more through them, but it's a daily gamble. Won't be long before they become familiar with the famous Alpha "clunk and burn". The other thing is an Alpha can't handle more than 5000 rpm. The secondary gear in the Alpha Gen I upper is small and is really a piece of crap. At above 5k that thing is spinning like all hell. It's the one that most often shears teeth and leaves the drive lube looking like metal flake soup. Since I'm just at 350 hp, I plan on staying with an Alpha. I hate doing it, but I guess I can go through 2 or 3 Alphas before hitting the Bravo price break. After seeing the SS, I'd really like to get one. The lower has a much wider profile and will obviously provide better steerage under all conditions.
Let me know if you decide to sell cause I really need to do something soon. Good Luck with your boat.

Murph

Murphy
06-18-2001, 08:00 AM
Correction to my comment above. It's the steering and shifting hardware, not throttle.

Brain freeze.

Later,

Murph

RickR
06-18-2001, 04:49 PM
How long are you going to keep the 22?
How much does the Bravo increase the value?
Do any wave jumping?
Ever use full throttle to get on plane?

The Bravo sure shifts better.

It's alot of $$$$$ but life is short http://www.donzi.net/ubb/wink.gif

------------------
RICKR
mailto:riggerb@aol.comriggerb@aol.com</A>

[This message has been edited by RickR (edited 06-18-2001).]

BigGrizzly
06-18-2001, 05:34 PM
Get the Bravo, the worst Brovo is better than the best Alpha. the bravo is longer then the alpha and about same length as the SS. what makes the SS so good is the raised prop. How many Alphas took a dump on the registry the past year, too many. I like coming home under my own power. If you want to change the asapect ratio of the lower unit just get a Hydromotive nose cone and put it on a brovr. However you won't realize any speed increase below 70 mph but handling is better especially at high speed and docking. How do I know this I have had two boats that I have put them on, just epoxie and no welding. thesr things fit perfect, My third boat has the bobs machine shop type. it is not as good. If I can get it odd A hydromotive will go on. Durability whell the Corsican has had one for 7 years and its still there no cracks etc.

Randy