PDA

View Full Version : Engine hatch profile?????????

BLOWN 18
11-06-2003, 06:16 AM
I have a 1988 18' 2+3, Lenny is willing to make me another hatch, But his is the x18 model.
My question is. IS there a difference? if so how much? Would if fit? THANKS for any replies!

terry
11-06-2003, 07:21 AM
Thats a good question,
I have an X-18 with a late 80's early 90's hatch. The hatch is perfect but not an X-18 hatch.
I would like the correct X-18 hatch for mine,
Maybe we can make this work for everyone.

Lenny makes an X-18 hatch for you.....and I will trade you my hatch for it......

Ted

BLOWN 18
11-06-2003, 08:11 AM
HEY TED: Thanks for the reply! That sounds Great When Lenny gets back to me on the cost We can figure out how to get each hatch to each other!

oldLenny
11-06-2003, 10:59 AM
or have Ted ship me the "late 80's, early 90's hatch and I will plug it and make both. The donor of the standard 18 hatch gets a freebee othe than shipping and also gets the standard 18 hatch back unharmed. :D

BLOWN 18
11-06-2003, 11:24 AM
What do you think TED? Sounds like this will work one way or the other!!!! I"m game either way, I"m located in Maryland "easternshore" Where are you located Ted????? How would we ship these?

GG Donzi
11-06-2003, 05:28 PM
Lenny, I've been talking to "Blown 18" about this hatch deal (I also need one). I have an 1986 18' 2+3 Classic, the problem is the boat is 5 hours away and I will not be going up there for another 2 weeks. Let me know if this will work.

GG Donzi
11-06-2003, 05:30 PM
Blown 18 I'm not trying to cut you out if you were going to send yours. Let me know.

terry
11-06-2003, 07:15 PM
Blown 18, here is what will work for me, I will send Lenny my hatch, he will plug it and make a mold. Then you can buy one from him direct.
Then we both save a big headache in shipping to and from.

oldLenny
11-06-2003, 08:03 PM
Works for me Ted. Do you guys want them cored? or just a decent lay-up awaiting your jig saws? Either way, no problem. I will make them all white, a thick, (about 25mils) so you can sand and fill and fair to your hearts content without entering the laminate. Within reason. I will ship a "package" of these down to "somewhere" in the USA and the recipient will look after dispersal, for a fee I would imagine. I am interested to see the difference between "stock" and X as I thinkthere might not be one if Ted is using a late 80's one on his X. Ted, you sure it is a standard one?

Anyways, once plugged, I can do two a day. In labour terms it is very little work, just have to wait 4 hours for the gel to kick and then let 2 layers of one ounce "sit" in there for a few days if I am going to not have any print-through issues. I would probably think about sending out 10 or so as a couple of packages, in plywood crates, loaded with foam and bubble wrap. If they are in fact the same, (hatches) then it will be easy. Ted, remove your hardware, latch and 2 hinges. Do you want the 12" stripe embossed into the gel-coat so you can mask it out later? 12" and 7" stripes embossed? This should be fun.

Now, about the coring.

Ski Sporter ski racks/forward foot supports are not far off, but not in the foreground. Anyone want seats done while I am at it?

Surfer
11-07-2003, 07:23 AM
Lenny, what do you have in mind for ski racks?

oldLenny
11-07-2003, 09:32 AM
Surfer, just the older forward ski rack foot rest area in the old 16's. They seem to take a real beating and get full of cracks and stuff. Not much to them. Anyways, I made a mold for mine in the 16 to replace it as a few fire extinguishers and various other sdd-ons had been there before, (and removed) so it was full of holes and the lifting ring rod had "chaffed" through it etc. That is why I did it.

GG Donzi
11-08-2003, 06:23 PM
Blown 18, HP600SC, or Lenny: If anyone every ends up with any of these for sale I would be interested. Just let me know a price and possible date they would be available. Is their anyway of measuring my hatch to make sure that the hatch HP600SC has id off a 18' Classis? Thanks.

oldLenny
11-08-2003, 07:55 PM
Teds' is the newer style off the 18' Classic with the small angular raised portion to allow for flame arrestor/X-dim clearance. It will fit.

I think it is best to let Ted look after sales in the USA. I will ship him (or anyone who wants this job) a handful or more. They can pay me for the load and then sell at whatever $$$. They will no be cored unless specified and I need to know that before hand. They will be "unwaxed" so you can either core them or wax up some gel in your favorite colour and brush it in...

We'll be in touch SOON.

BLOWN 18
11-09-2003, 06:55 AM
Lenny: Not sure about the coring for my application,The hatch I get from you is going to be cut "Alot" for the supercharger I"m not putting a scoop on, so will I need core? I don"t want it to be to week.

GG Donzi
11-09-2003, 11:04 AM
Thanks anyways guys but I'm looking for a smooth top that I can put a scoop in.