PDA

View Full Version : ..about Donzi 22 ZX

integra
11-05-2003, 06:35 PM
Hi to everybody! :)

This is Fede from Italy, I'm now planning to buy my first boat and I'm interested in Donzi 22 ZX or in an Italian sport boat...

I have some questions about the 22 ZX, can you help me?? :confused:

- Which engine is possible to put it on bigger than 377 Scorpion?? (on stock)

-What is top speed with,for example, a 496 MAG HO??

- Is it possible to have the electric winch(Anchor)?? I saw that in USA you don't use it too much but in Italy we need it!! :)

-Is an exciting,and good quality boat??

Thank you to everyone and I'm sorry for Scholastic English...

PS: a prayer for Steve, I read it on Powerboat Mag web site...

RICPAZ
11-06-2003, 07:41 AM
I had a 1999 22ZX w/ 502 Mag which I sold a few months ago.

The biggest engine you can get in a new 22ZX from Donzi Marine is a 377 Scorpion. They stoppped putting in the big blocks back in 2000.

I had a 502 Magnum in mine and was running 78-80 mph with a labbed prop and K&N intake. I would think the 496HO would do about the same, maybe a mile or two per hour faster. But you'd have to install the 496HO yourself because Donzi doesn't offer this engine in the 22ZX unfortunately.

There is no room for an electric anchor wench on the 22ZX. You could probably put one in yourself but it would require a lot of fabrication and cutting and I don't think it would look good. I doubt you'd want to cut up the fiberglass on a brand new boat.

It is definitely an exciting boat!!! If you ordered new I would definitely get the 377 Scorpion, but not sure how much extra that engine costs. I had my boat for 5 years and never had any problems with it. It is built very solid and I was extremely happy with it. My problem now is I am looking for a 26ZX or 28ZX but I doubt I can find one or order one that will be as fast as my old 22ZX!

Good luck!
-Rich

integra
11-06-2003, 07:56 AM
Thank you very much for the info!! :)

Which could be,in your opinion, top speed with 377 scorpion??

I'm soory, but is there any anchor storage?? (not electric) how can I do to have a swimming time?? :D

I'll use it only in the sea, so I'm very interested in performance with salt and rough water!! :)

Ciao FEDE

RICPAZ
11-06-2003, 09:35 AM
Well, my guess with a 377 Scorpion (350 hp) the top speed would be around 65 to 70 mph with a labbed prop.

There is no anchor strage in the bow. I used to store the anchor and line in the cuddy cabin beneath the cushions. I would throw it off the side in the back of the boat, then climb over the windscreen and tie it up to the cleat on the bow. You need to be careful when stepping over the windscreen but it really wasn't that hard to do. No need to go swimming with the anchor!

I used mine in the salt water and ocean. I performed great in 1-3 foot waves. Had it in 4 to 5 foot waves and it got a little rough. Still very solid though. The boat handled the waves great. Nothing came loose and there were no rattles. Very, very few small stress cracks after 5 years. The boat can take more of a pounding than your body can stand!

-Rich

integra
11-06-2003, 12:09 PM
ok I've understood...

what did you mean here:

"Very, very few small stress cracks after 5 years."

??? :rolleyes:

mmm... the problem of anchor stowage is huge for me.. but I'll exercise my muscles... :D

RICPAZ
11-06-2003, 02:31 PM
I mean there were only a few minor surface stress cracks on the surface of the gelcoat. A few here and there only about one or two inches long. They weren't deep at all, probably only in the outer layer of gelcoat. Fiberglass and gelcoats are pretty common to develop a few cracks here and there after plenty of use. These hairline cracks you couldn't even notice until you were right up on top of them. Maybe there were only four or five. It is actually rare only to have a few after five years of pounding waves. It means the boat's construction was excellent and very solid.

I don't think the anchor storage will be a problem for you. If you don't want to climb onto the bow you could always tie the anchor line off one of the stern cleats.

-Rich

Scubado
11-06-2003, 08:02 PM
Fede,

I own a 2000 22ZX with the 350 Mag MPI. It has been a great boat for me. Top speed is 60-65 mph depending on conditions. I have used the boat quite a bit in the Pacific Ocean around the Channel Islands of the coast of Southern California. It gets very rough in those waters. I would say that the boat performed better than most any other boat of it's size in that environment.

As for the anchor issue. I use a "Box Anchor" it's the best achor I've ever used and particularly suited for the 22 ZX because of lack of anchor storage. It folds up into a small size bag that will hold the anchor and about 200 feet of rope (line, rode, whatever). I store my anchor in the storage space under the rear seat. I swim and scuba dive off of my boat all the time while it is at anchor. Check it out at this web site Slide Anchor (http://www.slideanchor.com/)