PDA

View Full Version : Alpha SS ?

Sam
08-28-2002, 08:04 PM
I have been trying to do some research on the Alpha SS drive with little success. I know there have been a few posts regarding miscellaneous things about this drive but I am looking for more. What I am interested in is it's original design intent and any other facts that you might have. Thanks in advance !

Sam

Rootsy
08-28-2002, 08:32 PM
Doug impressed you THAT much huh... now you wanna hang one off the back of that purdy red 16, huh huh? c'mon lets do it :D ...

better yet.. how bout a BLACKHAWK!

ok allard go ahead... egg him on... wink

I HAD ONE HELLUVA GOOD TIME LAST SATURDAY! i can't wait to do it AGAIN!

Cuda
08-29-2002, 12:55 AM
The only things I know about them are they have a 2" shorter shaft, a CLE, and some people say they have HD gears.

CDMA
08-29-2002, 12:59 AM
Me egg anyone on....never....

Chris

Looking for the rest of my eggs

Woodsy
08-29-2002, 06:25 AM
Allard...

I think you left most of your eggs over here at Winni....

Woodsy

GeneD
08-29-2002, 07:33 AM
Well, you got some of it right.
The driveshaft is 2.75 inches shorter.
To my knowledge, there aren't any HD gearing in it.
I watched and was privy to the parts ordered when my drive blew. They used the parts from the 2.5 liter outboard. In fact, I bought parts from an Alpha One, and they were too big! I an referring to the gears. They just wouldn't fit into the lower gearcase. The top is just about the same as the Alpha One.
It's intent? Shorter X dimension without moving the engine.
After my rebuild, I am very happy with it.

Doug L.
09-04-2002, 07:08 PM
Funny when I measured my drive
it was 3.0" shorted then the Alpha 1.
It got the new style drive shaft and the
larger bearings from the gen II at the rebuild.
The lower case was designed after the Mod VP
outboard case but has thicker walls so said
the guy from Mercury racing. I know there are two different bearing sizes for the Alpha.
From what I understand you can't put a
SS on a gen II because of the trim????
Doug

GeneD
09-05-2002, 04:30 PM
3 Inches?!?!?!?
Wow!
I guess I never measured it, but this is what I was told anyway. My unit was a Lake X prototype and not much was known about it. Seems as if you know a hell of a lot more!
I can hardly believe that an Alpha One drive shaft will fit on the SS, it's just too short?
Bigger bearings though huh? I like that idea! But bigger where? Are these on the upper? Do you mean bigger in that a newer bearing is needed to accomodate the bigger drive shaft?
I just got myself all confused...
I am not aware of any problems mounting to the Gen II gimble.
Oh, and let's not go broadcasting everyone that we are 3" shorter than everyone else, it's kind of a bedroom secret. eek!