PDA

View Full Version : Questions for jaroot....

Riley
06-14-2001, 07:37 AM
Hi Jamie,

I've noticed by your posts that you seem to be familiar with the Les Cheneaux Islands area. Are you from here, or did you spend a lot of time vacationing here? Family in the area? I'm kind of curious, as it seems a lot of people are familiar with Les Cheneaux, no matter where they live in the country. It's pretty cool in a way, especially when one considers that Clark Twp (Cedarville-Hessel)only has about 2300 year around residents!

On another note, I when I was reading your posts about your carb/intake swap you referred to having to get an adapter for your Performer to run a square bore Holley carb. I thought you could run either a square or spreadbore carb on the Performer. I'm probably going to go with the Edelbrock 600 cfm marine carb on my application, with the Performer Vortec. I feel pretty confident there is a 2-3 mph gain to be had with the 4bbl, which would get me over 60 mph.

Hope you can make it up for the L.C.D.B. on the 13!

jaroot
06-14-2001, 09:55 AM
Chris,

I spent almost every summer of my teens in cedarville for a week or two. My mom's great aunt and uncle were good friends with Walt and Freda Barefoot on hill island (barefoots resort)the barefoots and my aunt and uncle were all from the tipp city / dayton, OH area. My parents used to spend time there when her aunt and uncle would run the resort for the barefoots when they couldn't be there in the 50's 60's and 70's. If i remember correctly my uncle had a heart attack while climbing the hill at barefoots in 1970 or 72 (before i was thought of). I believe their son or grandson operates the resort now. My parents began taking my sister and me there during hte summer when i was about 11 or 12 and we went every summer well into my late teens. (mid to late 80's). I am overall familiar with the UP as a whole since i spent 3 years at Michigan Tech.

As far as the performer intake... the pattern is for a spreadbore carb (quadrajet) but has bolt patterns for spreadbore or squarebore. The issue you will run into is the vacuum passage on the throttle plate of the holley (large vacuum port exiting from choke side underneath vacuum secondary housing). it extends past the manifold so you must use a plate and gasket otherwise you will have a MAJOR vacuum leak. I used the throttle cable adapter plate sandwiched between 2 gaskets... not issues... anything else you wanna know just ask eh

Jamie

Riley
06-14-2001, 10:14 AM
Jamie, I'm amazed we never ran into each other at some point. My family has had a cottage on Coryell Island since the early 60's, and I moved up here in '86.

Did you ever make it to the summer dances as a teenager? That used to be THE place to meet people during the summer....talk about good memories!

As far as Tech goes, I was up there last week. I have customers in Houghton, Hancock, and Calumet. Beautiful territory, but a long drive.

Sure hope you can make it up to Cedarville in July. We've got a lot planned, should be a great way for you "down staters" to beat the heat and humidity for a couple of days.

jaroot
06-14-2001, 12:21 PM
can't say as i ever made it to any of the dances in the summer but i remember hearing about them. I was in cedarville last summer for a day and it seemed different, there weren't many commercial things besides a red owl when we used to come up there... if i can make it i'll be there... all depends on how work is going and the weather and my limited vacation... if i could find a job in houghton or hancock or that area i would be gone so fast it'd make people's heads spin... i can only imagine taching the donzi out on the portage... what a ride that'd be...