PDA

View Full Version : Weird Gas Leak??

RickSE
08-28-2002, 11:45 AM
I went out this morning to get a strap off the boat cover and noticed fuel leaking out of the bilge drain. The boat is parked on an incline so whatever fuel is leaking is running to the back of the bilge. I did some investigating but couldn’t find a definite leak. This is a 1996 18 so I'd think the tank should be fine. I didn't see any fuel coming from the front of the boat and I couldn't find any leaks in the fuel line. The main culprit seems to be the poly tubing that is plugged into the backside of the fuel pump diaphragm. The tube used to connect to the old carb but when I put on the new carb I left it disconnected and let the loose end fall down into the bilge.

If I remember right this tube should only get wet with fuel if the fuel pump diaphragm fails. Is this correct? Also, anyone know if there is a place to connect this tube to on a Holley 4-barrel? I always assumed I could not connect it to a vacuum port, am I wrong on this? I'm worried that someday on the water I may loose the diaphragm and start dump fuel into the bilge.

turbo2256
08-28-2002, 02:06 PM
On a Holley eek! I made up a "J" tube to fit in the plastic cover with the hole in it for the choke linkage and aimed it into the rear barrel JB welded it togeather and hooked the hose to it.

MOP
08-28-2002, 02:51 PM
If there is gas in that hose the diaphram is starting to go, change the pump out out. An easy way to get the poly hose hooked to the carb is to drill a hole for 1/4 tubing in the bottom plate of the air breather. Put a small flare on a 1 inch piece of 1/4 tubing drop it in from the top side and solder in place slide the hose on and wire tie it tight.

RickSE
08-29-2002, 10:36 AM
Thanks guys. It's the pump. I pulled the hose last night and fuel was leaking out of the connection. Time for a new pump.