PDA

View Full Version : Victory Trim Tabs

NoTime
11-03-2003, 08:20 PM
Anybody tried the Victory upgrades to Bennett trim tabs on their boat? (Sorry the only contact I have is martiniboat@wightman.ca since they don't seem to have a web site.) :( The '90 22 Classic I just acquired is missing the 18" single actuator Bennett tab planes. Since I have to replace them anyway, I am wondering about upgrading to a higher performance tab without paying for an entirely new system.

MOP
11-03-2003, 08:39 PM
Any idea what the diffenence is between the Sport tabs and the Victory tabs you speak of. I looked at the Bennet site could not find Victory tabs.

Ok edited missed the fact of them not being Bennets! Dah!

DonCig
11-03-2003, 09:17 PM
I purchased these Victory tabs from Brian (the manufacturer)in Canada. Very high quality. The only thing lacking was a good set of tips and instructions detailing things like the proper adhesives or sealants http://www.donzi.net/photos/100_1281.JPG to use, etc. You will be satisfied if you buy these stainless powdercoated tabs.
No, they will not make your boat go any faster, unless you believe that "cool" always makes your boat go faster. (It did, honest, it realy goes faster!)
Feel free to eamil me for further advice at dntamm@aol.com

See the link below for info. on Brians work.

Don

http://www.fastboats.info/upload/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11319

Greg Maier
11-03-2003, 09:58 PM
Don,

Do you have those tabs installed on the proper sides? I thought the cutout is supposed to face the inside. My K-Planes are installed with the cutouts facing in. Upon looking at the link you provided, his tabs don't look like they have a cutout so maybe it is just the angle of the picture.

MOP
11-03-2003, 11:04 PM
Noticed that also, I found the cut out does two things, asures drive clearance and years back I had a customer insist on way over width tabs. The prop cavitated when the tabs were lowered, so I cut them about 40 degrees which cured the problem. Where is Joe our resident Bennet tab man? He would have good input on this.

Greg K
11-04-2003, 06:16 AM
It's the angle that the pic was taken that makes it look that way. The tabs are symetrical on each side and are tapered the same on each side.

DonCig
11-04-2003, 06:47 AM
Greg K., you are correct, the tabs are tapered equally on both sides. There is no notch.

Don

mphatc
11-04-2003, 06:51 AM
Nice looking tabs! I looked at the link to Fastboats.com. These really look ideal for
the smaller boats.

I certainly do not want to add something that is not top notch quality to my Corsican. These look to be that.

Don, how long are they in length?

MPHATC

MOP
11-04-2003, 07:46 AM
Mario whats make you think your boat will be touching the water with the Skunk Works mill? Tabs Hmmmm maybe wings! :D

Woodsy
11-04-2003, 10:24 AM
Guys...

These tabs are functionally no better that the Bennetts they replace. They do look cooler, but thats about it. They are not stronger nor do they perform better.

The failure point on these tabs as well as the Bennett or TrimMaster is still the plastic hinge pin that attaches the cylinder to the tab. That pin is designed to shear in case of an excessive loading on the tab. The larger size of these tabs will increase the loading of that pin exponetially. The shear strength of the pin is designed the pin will break before any damage will occur to your hull at the attachment points. If this pin is replaced with a stronger shear, a possibiblity is that you could rip a trim cylinder or the hinge assy right off your transom.

If you want good tabs, its K-planes all the way... the 150S tabs are great for smaller boats.. If your on a budget, the Bennett Sport Tabs will do the trick...

I am not downing the Victory Tabs, just pointing out that they are no stronger or more functional than the Bennetts

Woodsy

Woodsy

CDMA
11-04-2003, 11:10 AM
Dave I am going to have to go ahead and disagree with you... wink

Both me and my friend GEOO have spent years pushing the limits of Bennet Tabs. Both of us have found that it is the plane that seems to be the weak part. Both of us have managed to bend the running surface of the tab without ever breaking the ram or the pin. Also you may want to take another look at the Bennett attachment arrangement compared to your Trim Master attachment. I looked at yours this summer and it was different then the standard Bennett arangement I am familiar with.

Do I think these tabs are the greatest thing...no. But I think they do offer some advantages over the standard Bennett tab.

Chris

Ever seen vultures on a dead wolf?

Woodsy
11-04-2003, 12:05 PM
Now Chris... not to start an argument... LOL

The plate of the Victory Tab is stiffer... although I question the welds, as they can get brittle. But I digress. The standard Bennetts or TrimMasters do bend the tab plate. The key word here is standard. They are specifically not designed to go over 60mph... Bennett tells you that upfront. Why the factory uses them is beyond me. So of course, you & GEOO pushed that envelope. Also, had the tab plates been stiffer, the hinge pin would have broken. In your case, it was the metal flimsy unstiffened plate that bent. I have seen that myself... I have also seen pins break too. Not too sure what happens when you break a tab at 70+, but I can guess it wouldn't be good... The Bennett Sport Tabs are signifigantly stiffer than the standard tabs because of the bent edges and thicker gauge of sheet metal. They may not be quite as stiff as the Victorys, but they are close.

The problem still remains is the piano hinge assy where it bolts to the boat and the plastic hinge pin. the pin is there to break, preventing damage to anything really expensive. The stiffer tab will increase the loading on the hinge and pin, causing a higher failure rate. It looks as though Victory has a stronger piano hinge than the standard Bennetts, but the hinge pin is the same. I just see the same point of failure, the hinge pin. Not a big deal, but why spend the $$$ for the same design, other than the coolness factor.

Get the K-Planes....

Woodsy :D :D

CDMA
11-04-2003, 12:11 PM
Woodsy,

All the tabs we have bent have been Sport tabs...thicker plate, turned up edges etc.

C

I am going to need a Kenworth to pull this off...

roadtrip se
11-04-2003, 12:21 PM
I like!

Rootsy
11-04-2003, 12:22 PM
with the gussets on that plate and the robust attachment to the transom i don't see that plate having that much deflection until you get right to the end of the tab which is going to be pretty stiff as it is in that condition.

now wouldn't the chamfer on the inside of the tab help alleviate torsional moments on the assembly and deflection on an unsupported portion of the tab when mounted in that orientation?

i'd make an educated guess that the failure mode for this system would be in the ram, pins or transom mounting of the ram... vs bending the tab itself.. unless well.. you hit something hard... in which case... probably gonna replace more than just that assembly...

i kinda like that tab's robustness...

makes me curious what the buckling load of that ram is at full extension though...

now where'd i put that FBD...

DonCig
11-04-2003, 09:29 PM
To MPHATC; my tabs measure 15" in length, 12" wide where they mount to the transom, and they measure 8" wide at the tips. They are symetrical.

Per all the discussion in this thread, one very important point was missed. They look better than the Bennetts, so they must be faster!!!!!!!!!!!!

If I had a Corsican, I would mount them with no hesitation. Besides, who uses these things on an 18' Classic after you break 50mph, not I. Trim up till she starts to feel loose, then hang on and steer!. I only use my tabs to give the wife a comfortable ride in rough water, if she is not in the boat I keep one hand on the throttle and the other hand on the steering wheel. I only have two hands and the tabs seem to slow me down.

Don

martiniboat/ Brian Kamrath
11-05-2003, 11:57 AM
Woodsy:
Guys...

These tabs are functionally no better that the Bennetts they replace. They do look cooler, but thats about it. They are not stronger nor do they perform better.

The failure point on these tabs as well as the Bennett or TrimMaster is still the plastic hinge pin that attaches the cylinder to the tab. That pin is designed to shear in case of an excessive loading on the tab. The larger size of these tabs will increase the loading of that pin exponetially. The shear strength of the pin is designed the pin will break before any damage will occur to your hull at the attachment points. If this pin is replaced with a stronger shear, a possibiblity is that you could rip a trim cylinder or the hinge assy right off your transom.

If you want good tabs, its K-planes all the way... the 150S tabs are great for smaller boats.. If your on a budget, the Bennett Sport Tabs will do the trick...

I am not downing the Victory Tabs, just pointing out that they are no stronger or more functional than the Bennetts

Woodsy

Woodsy Hello all, I'm Brian Kamrath, designer and builder of Victory trim tabs. Thanks for having me, I'm now your newest member after being a 'lurker' for years.(I have an affinity with the older offshores) A warm thanks goes out to Don Tamm for posting this thread and making this new product known to you.

The move to the marine manufacturing segment was very natural for me. Since my first boat at age 18 I've never ceased to "find a better way". I've never been satisfied with 'stock' products. I enjoy inventing solutions, developing solutions, and recently, marketing solutions. My recent boat, 1978 25' Martini came with the dual-ram Bennett tabs. I felt that there was clearly a way to improve upon the existing design without dismissing it altogether. On the other end of the spectrum were K-planes and I quickly ruled that out after checking the price tag. I simply couldn't justify the expense on a 25' boat. So, out of 'neccessity' I modified a pair of stock 12"x 12" Bennett tabs for my very first prototype and after years of testing (and a much longer story) comes the Victory trim tabs. The single ram version came from a great outcry after the dual ram Victorys were launched. Anyone with questions please feel free to contact me.

Although Woodsy is trying to look out for the best interests of the Donzi Registry members, he is clearly wrong. The Victory trim tabs are in fact both stronger and more functional than the Bennett trim tabs through their construction and increased surface area. The Victory trim tabs are constructed of laser cut 10ga. 304L stainless steel and are heavily gusseted. They are precision TIG welded, sandblasted and powdercoated in black or a custom colour if required. Each hinge segment is fully welded for ultimate strength. It takes longer to build a trim tab this way but I will not produce cookie sheet clones for the masses. I am a perfectionist, especially when it comes to my passion...boats. Any product that I build is one that I personally MUST be proud of and will always stand behind. Afterall, if you're going to build a better mousetrap in this day and age, it better ACTUALLY BE a better mousetrap. Consider my Victory trim tab replacements the equivalency of a "mildly modified boat motor". :D

So you see, not only do they "look cooler", they also perform better and have bridged a gap in the market between stock Bennett tabs and the higher priced K-plane style tabs, AND, you utilize your existing Bennett rams and mounting holes. All for about the same price as a weekend of boating. Thanks for this opportunity.

P.S. Almost forgot, shipping weight on a set of single ram Victory tabs is around 35lbs. which, according to the 'trim tab sanctioning bodies', requires them to compete in the "Heavyweight division". Thanks again.

Respectfully yours,
Brian Kamrath

519-887-8282

Woodsy
11-05-2003, 12:35 PM
Brian...

I wasn't downing your tabs...

Your tabs are alot stiffer than the standard Bennetts, I don't dispute that. I can assure you, as a Mechanical Engineer, your tabs have the same point of failure as the Bennetts. The weak link is the PLASTIC HINGE PIN used to secure the PLASTIC trim cylinder to the trim tab. This pin is designed to SHEAR to PROTECT the transom from being damaged in the case of a tab failure. This is because the the stresses generated by the tabs are directly transmitted to the transom. Its a simple triangle. As you use the SAME PLASTIC SHEAR PIN, as the Bennetts, the pressure your tabs can take is no more or less than the Bennetts before the pin breaks. Now, as your tabs have a greater surface area, and are somewhat stiffer, the force exerted on the PLASTIC shear pin greatly increase as speed increases.

There is an easy fix for this... you need to add a backing plate, similar to the K-Plane backing plate, say 11GA or 3/16, so as to distribute the forces exerted on the transom over a greater area. Then you can use a stronger shear pin. Then, and only then will your tabs be better than the Bennetts as far as failure points go...

Sorry if you thought I was downing your product... I am not. I am just pointing out a pretty big flaw in your logic.

Woodsy

CDMA
11-05-2003, 01:01 PM
Woodsy professional pot stirrer....

roadtrip se
11-05-2003, 04:29 PM
Must have been a pretty good batch...

I talked to Don earlier today about installation, fit, and finish. He seems pretty pleased.

I called Bill and ordered a set with just the single set of holes for mounting up easily.

I'll post pics when I'm done.

Todd

smoothie
11-05-2003, 06:08 PM
I love it :D It always seems to come down to the weakest link.They sure would look good on the back of the cig,,,hmmm...backing plate,I think I can make that.

NoTime
11-05-2003, 06:44 PM
Wow! :D :D :D Never dreamed my simple question would generate so much great discussion. Thanks to everyone for the comments. I think I going to go with the Victory's since I think they look better, and they may be a little stronger if as Woodsy suggests, I add a backing plate behind the top mount for the ram and choose a stronger hinge pin.

Let me see ... what should my next question be??? :)

Rootsy
11-05-2003, 07:39 PM
so what are the ram and those pins injected from? Nylon 6-6, Nylon 6-12 or ABS?

smoothie
11-05-2003, 08:00 PM
Rootsy..I know what you mean,and these are longer,more leverage.

Brackets
Swivel type brackets allow cylinders to be mounted an adjusted to any angle. Knockout pins act as shear pins it tab strikes an object

Cylinders
Impact resistant, fiberglass reinforced nylon cylinders eliminates expansion and resists ultra-violet rays. Two expanding type seals, plus O-ring, eliminates high and low pressure leaks. Barbed cylinder fitting and an inserted tubular rod prevents hose blow-off and breakage.
A stainless steel spring retracts the cylinder when the boat is not in motion.

"Shear" pin
I had mine apart and the pin looked like its made from some type of carbon fiber.

MOP
11-06-2003, 08:21 AM
Ok now everyone run outside like I just did and check the Bennet ram pin. The pin to my old eyes is not as much of a shear factor as we may think. I tried my damndest to stick the thinnest feeler gauge in but there is no clearance only when I pushed the tab down was I able to insert a .002, I beleive the ram tip & bracket take all the force and the pin just holds it all together.

Woodsy
11-06-2003, 08:34 AM
MOP...

Trust me... its a SHEAR pin. There isn't supposed to be any clearance between the pin and the bore. IF it wasn't for the shear pin, all of the thousands of pounds of force of a bad landing would be transmitted thru the trim cylinder to the transom. Causing either the expensive trim cylinder to break or a hole in your transom. Its a sacrificial pin, and its good engineering to have one.

I'll try and draw a diagram...

Woodsy

MOP
11-06-2003, 09:00 AM
For me Nolo contendere!

Sent mail to Mr. Thomas at Bennet to come and defend himself.

11-06-2003, 09:56 AM
Woodsy, please post a number where I can call you and we can share our ideas. The web is great but just takes too damn long :D (for me anyway) to get many points across. Thanks.

Brian Kamrath
Martiniboat Marine Design Inc.
519-887-8282

Tabman
11-06-2003, 10:02 AM
Thanks for the e-mail,

What an interesting thread! M.J. Thomas and I, as well as some of the engineers have been following this thread, a thread at Offshore.com, as well as the Auctions at E-bay.

We would like to make a few points clear:

1. The pin that holds the piston shaft to the lower hinge is not a shear pin. Most importantly, when pressure is applied to the bottom of the Trim Plane the pin carries no load. The shaft is seated on the lower hinge and the load is transferred from the shaft directly to the Trim Plane through the lower hinge. The only time the pin is loaded is when pressure is applied from above the Trim Plane. This feature separates our actuators from other brands that utilize suspended pins on both the upper and lower hinges. These suspended pins do carry the entire load when the boat is running. Simply put, the lower hinge pin on a Bennett actuator is not carrying load when the boat is running since the shaft is cradled in the lower hinge. As MOP stated the pin’s purpose is to hold the shaft to the hinge. In theory, as long as you only went forward you could remove the pin and run the Tabs.

2. As you might suspect we cannot warranty the results of these aftermarket add-ons, nor can we warranty our components when used in conjunction with components not designed by us.

3. While we are not in the “high performance” Trim Tab market, and other companies manufacture excellent products for the Go Fast crowd, i.e. K-Planes and others. There does seem to be a little gap between our market and the higher performance market. Many people are unaware that Bennett manufactures a product called the HD16. This is a very thick, 7 gauge, heavy duty Trim Plane system that is used by several boat builders such as Wellcraft (Scarab), Concept, Campion, and several higher performance saltwater fishing boat manufacturers.

http://www.bennetttrimtabs.com/baja/hd16.jpg

The HD16 measures 12” x 16” (with a taper to 9” on the trailing edge) and has proven to be a cost effective system that will allow the boat to be run hard in rough conditions.

The HD16 is available as a complete set, or the Trim Planes may be purchased separately to upgrade an existing Bennett dual actuator system. Check with your favorite dealer for pricing.

I hope that this is helpful and we are always delighted to answer any questions you may have, or be of any other help when it comes to our Trim Tab systems.

Sincerely,

Tom McGow
Director of Client Services
Bennett Marine

Woodsy
11-06-2003, 10:40 AM
Here are my thoughts on the subject...

http://www.donzi.net/photos/woodsytrimtab.jpg

What Tabman is saying is that what I call a shear pin is actually not a "loaded" part of the trim tab assembly and that the load from the tab is transmitted directly to the trim cylinder, then to the transom. I am not too sure I agree with him, as you would need an interference fit between your trim ram and the bracket it mounts to.

Tabman, if I am wrong, please show me how. I need to learn...

Woodsy

smoothie
11-06-2003, 10:43 AM
Tabman:
Thanks for the e-mail,

We would like to make a few points clear:

1. The pin that holds the piston shaft to the lower hinge is not a shear pin. Most importantly, when pressure is applied to the bottom of the Trim Plane the pin carries no load. The shaft is seated on the lower hinge and the load is transferred from the shaft directly to the Trim Plane through the lower hinge. The only time the pin is loaded is when pressure is applied from above the Trim Plane. This feature separates our actuators from other brands that utilize suspended pins on both the upper and lower hinges. These suspended pins do carry the entire load when the boat is running. Simply put, the lower hinge pin on a Bennett actuator is not carrying load when the boat is running since the shaft is cradled in the lower hinge. As MOP stated the pin’s purpose is to hold the shaft to the hinge. In theory, as long as you only went forward you could remove the pin and run the Tabs.

Sincerely,

Tom McGow
Director of Client Services
Bennett Marine Tom,Just curious,you mention that the lower hinge pin is cradled,but what about the upper,isnt it carrying the same load...what would happen if the pin were to break at this link.

smoothie
11-06-2003, 10:45 AM
oops!!! Woodsy beat me to the punch :D

Tabman
11-06-2003, 11:17 AM
Woodsy,

Actually your illustration shows how Boat Leveler and TrimMaster Actuators are set up. The Bennett system has no pin at the top. The lower hinge is set against an angle that is either riveted, or welded to the Trim Plane. The shaft is “pushing” into the hinge (and therefore the angle), transferring force without the pin carrying the load. I have run a boat without pins in the lower hinges!

http://www.bennetttrimtabs.com/baja/angle_small.jpg

http://www.bennetttrimtabs.com/Pictures/donzi1.jpg

Take a look at the drawing and photo above.

Let me know what you think.

Tom
Bennett Marine

MOP
11-06-2003, 12:25 PM
Now I feel comfortable removing my "Nolo contendere!" This old fart has installed and serviced these tabs for well over 30 years, I did not want to get a PM started on the board(besides I really like Woodsy good drinking man). I have not seen pin failure on the Bennets, I have seen and myself broken a ram pistons and have bent planes on high air born's. Victory's choosing of the Bennet ram should speak for its self, Yes I have installed a few others to my thinking and experiance none outside of K Planes & Arneson's can hold a candle to the Bennet setup. I do think the Victory's hold promise for some of us, though by design the new HD-16 without ribbing or turned angles has some give on impact which is the only scary thing about the Victoy tabs, way to rigid for my liking. My SK boat had the typical full width turn buckle style one piece tab, I found a very high wake one night at pretty good speed ripped it and half the hardware off the stern. I have a set of the older dual ram Sport tabs but more than likely will order the HD-16 planes.

smoothie
11-06-2003, 12:44 PM
This is the pic we started with...
http://www.donzi.net/photos/100_1281.JPG

Tom,could you please post a pic of the upper hinge to clear up all the confusion.thanks

MOP
11-06-2003, 01:00 PM
Smoothie that is a Bennet ram in that photo you posted, there is no upper hinge. Bennet has for a Guzillion years relied in the slight bending the upper section to be its hinge. Come and seem me some time I will show you real old tired dog boats with original Bennets with no to cylinder breakage. Honestly it has amazed me for many many years that they do not break up there, but they do not!

Tabman
11-06-2003, 01:40 PM
Smoothie,

What MOP says is on target.

The upper hinge is visible in the picture of the Victory Tabs. It is a flexible hinge of our own design. It is quite “cool” since it can bend a whole lot more than you would imagine. It also has a small fluid passage through it to deliver it into the cylinder body. The upper hinge portion of the actuator is made from a different material then the cylinder body and piston shaft. The upper hinge is quite strong and stands up to abuse better than a suspended hinge.

http://www.bennetttrimtabs.com/flex.gif

Here is a photo of a hinge being flexed to its full extent. By the way that is not my tie in the background :D http://www.bennetttrimtabs.com/Pictures/hingebend.jpg

Tom
Bennett Marine

RickSE
11-06-2003, 02:25 PM
Donzi does use dual ram tabs. They are standard on the MAG-HO 22 Classics, MAG 22's get single rams. The single rams come on most everything else, under 22'.

http://www.donzi.net/photos/rstrones74.jpg

smoothie
11-06-2003, 02:54 PM
Well lookie there would ya!!!That is cool,now it makes sense,Thanks for the offer Mop I will take you up on that some day.

Rootsy
11-06-2003, 03:28 PM
hmmmm is that cap Linear Low Density PE?

Tabman II
11-06-2003, 03:46 PM
Tabman,

Hey, that is my tie and I don't mean the drink!!

Sincerely,
MJ Thomas
Bennett Marine, Inc.
Client Services
trimtabs@earthlink.net
www.bennetttrimtabs.com (http://www.bennetttrimtabs.com)

Tabman
11-06-2003, 03:57 PM
Rootsy,

If we tell you what it is made out of we would have to kill you :D

Tom
Bennett Marine

Rootsy
11-06-2003, 04:14 PM
Thank god for IR Spectroscopy then huh! :D

Root-I'm Still alive wink

ClassicRazorback
11-06-2003, 07:51 PM
Woodsy may be talking about the type of tabs I have.
They have a pin or pivot on the top and bottom.
I have actually broke the ram twice by putting my boat on the tralier with the tabs down(I know Dumbass). Mine are made in Missouri (I think Trimmaster).

Chris

MOP
11-06-2003, 09:05 PM
Rootsy you lookin up or down with that Scope! Give us the scoop is that Spectriscoic thingy like one of them Procterators?

Tabman
11-07-2003, 07:00 AM
MadPoodle,

The HD 16 has not been shown in our catalogs since it is mainly an OEM product used by Boat Builders, but it can be purchased in the aftermarket.

HD16 is 12” x 16” tapering on the inboard edge down to 9” at the trailing edge. It is 7 Gauge Black Powder Coated 304 Stainless Steel. The hole pattern does not match the standard Bennett 12” pattern so a little filling and drilling is required if they are “upgrading” a kit.

http://www.bennetttrimtabs.com/baja/hd16.jpg

Since the 7 gauge Stainless is so thick we do not use our standard formed hinge. The HD16 has a massive 3/8” hinge pin.

http://www.bennetttrimtabs.com/baja/hinge_small.jpg

As mentioned before the actuators are seated into hinges that are carried by welded angles.

http://www.bennetttrimtabs.com/baja/angle_small.jpg

The actuators are attached to the Tabs by ¼” machine screws through the body of the Tabs and the welded angle. The heads of the screws are countersunk into the Tab to eliminate drag.

http://www.bennetttrimtabs.com/baja/screws_small.jpg

I hope this helps let me know if you would like any additional information.

Tom
Bennett Marine

MOP
11-07-2003, 08:41 AM
Tom I will have a set of your HD's hanging off the back of my 22 next year, I am sure they will compliment the Arneson drive. Plus I have been beating the hell out of you tabs more years than I care to mention, Out of about ten setups I only broke one ram. I was in my 20's and its a wonder I am here writing about it.

Phil

Tabman II
11-07-2003, 09:48 AM
ClassicRazorback,

The Auto Tab Retractor (AR512, $77) would be a very good choice for you (ATR info http://www.bennetttrimtabs.com/atr.htm), since it was designed to retract the tabs to their full up setting every time you turn the engine’s ignition key to the “off” position there by protect them from trailer, lift &/or rack storage bunk damage. Many clients can forget to fully retract their tabs before loading their vessel, but you never forget to turn the engine off!

Sincerely,
MJ Thomas
Bennett Marine, Inc.
Client Services
trimtabs@bennetttrimtabs.com

11-07-2003, 10:25 AM
MadPoodle:
Tom,

Got a pic of the HD plates? I have never seen them in the catalog. Do they utilize the stock transom holes, or do they require drilling?? Are they natural or black?

Brian,
The Victories, do they take advantage of Bennets lower mount principle, ie: direct contact from the piston to the plane? Also, what style of hinge do they use, piano or formed?

The other Scott

Parts, damnit Jim, I need more parts :) :) MadPoodle,

The Bennett ram lower hinge seats snugly into a pocket created by the crossmember on the Victory tabs. No modifications are required or recommended to the Bennett ram as they are a well engineered product and have proven their tenacity over years of 'on water' testing. The ram is then bolted through that crossmember and not through the bottom. The hinges employed on the Victory tabs are a fully TIG welded piano style utilizing a 1/2" pin. Each tab is sandblasted before receiving a gloss black powdercoating. The tops of each gusset are then polished and clearcoated revealing the gleaming stainless steel beneath. They are shipped with concise mounting instructions and larger stainless steel mounting hardware. Kits are available to retrofit your Bennett(any style or bolt pattern), Insta-trim, Trim Master or Lenco trim tab systems.

Victory trim tabs are designed and priced to NOT break the bank or your rams. I hope this answers your questions, if not, please feel free to call me at the shop. I'm always free to talk boats, it's my passion AND personal goal to offer the boating public unique, functional and reasonably priced marine products. Thanks for now.

Brian Kamrath
Martiniboat Marine Design Inc.
519-887-8282

P.S. Thanks to Tabman and Tabman II for sharing their knowledge and experience. http://www.donzi.net/photos/donziregistrytabpic1.jpg

11-07-2003, 10:45 AM
Sorry all, black doesn't show too much detail but should give you a general idea. http://www.donzi.net/photos/donziregistrytabpic2.jpg

11-07-2003, 10:50 AM
This pic shows where the dual rams bolt into the crossmember. (single ram similar) http://www.donzi.net/photos/donziregistrytabpic3.jpg

ClassicRazorback
11-07-2003, 11:30 AM
Thanks Tabman II,
I have one that I bought the first year I broke the rams, but didn't think I needed to install it.
So I broke'em again the next year.
But not this year !!

I can't bring my self to install it.

The only thing I do with my tabs is make sure they are up !! :D :D

Chris

Tabman II
11-07-2003, 01:23 PM
ClassicRazorback,

It is really easy to do and shouldn't take much more that 30 mins to complete, which is a lot less time than it will be to replace damaged trim planes &/or actuators. Really, the only issue you should have is the wiring color conversion from TrimMaster to us, which I will outline below:

Bennett RED wire = TrimMaster GREEN wire

Bennett GREEN wire = TrimMaster WHITE wire

Bennett Blue wire = TrimMaster RED wire

Bennett YELLOW wire = TrimMaster YELLOW wire

Ok, that should do it for you, so have fun and let me know if you need anything else!

I look forward to your reply.

Sincerely,
MJ Thomas
Bennett Marine, Inc.
Client Services
trimtabs@earthlink.net

RickSE
11-07-2003, 02:32 PM
Tabman,
I have a 22 Classic on order at Donzi, to be built this February, and was wondering what tabs you recommend. This will be a 70 MPH 496 MAG-HO boat. I don't really care for the standard dual ram set-up they seem to use and would like to specify a better tab set-up. I posted a picture earlier of the dual ram set-up they typically use, on Page 3.

Any suggestions?

HD-16?
ST16?

Is the HD-16 set-up you show above heavier construction than the ST16? If I tell Donzi I want the HD-16's can they get them from you?

Tabman II
11-07-2003, 03:03 PM
RickS,

We would suggest our HD13’s for your 22 Classic, which are just like the HD16’s but are 3” shorter in Chord. Donzi can order them directly from us just like they do the standard sets they install. The Dual Actuator placement is the same between the systems, so it is really nothing more than trading out the Trim Plane Assemblies. Just tell them you want HD13's on your vessel and to give me a call (ask for THOMAS) and I will take care of it from here!

If you have anymore questions, please feel free to contact us.

Sincerely,
MJ Thomas
Bennett Marine, Inc.
Client Services
trimtabs@earthlink.net

RickSE
11-07-2003, 05:11 PM
Tabman II,
Thanks for the response. I'm guessing the ones in the picture I posted are 12x9 sport tabs. The HD13's sound good to me. I'll get them added to the order.

Tabman II
11-08-2003, 08:19 AM
RickS,

You’re very welcome!

Also, are you having Trimdicators (http://www.bennetttrimtabs.com/trimd.htm) installed at the factory? If not, you should think about it since the speeds you will be running at trim tab placement would be very important. As you can see they provide you real-time trim tab position in Degrees of Deflection (0 to 20) in the LCD readout and Percentage of Deflection (0 to 100) in the LED readout. They extremely reliable & accurate, since the Sensor Coils are built right into the Upper Hinge of the actuators (triangle base attached to transom) with Sensor Rods that ride inside of the actuator pistons and you calibrate the system to match your actuator stroke (standard is 2-1/2", but we can vary our stroke as needed during installation). By placing the Sensor Coils & Rods inside of the actuators, they receive the same excellent protection from the elements that the actuators provide from their material makeup and the system carries a 3-year! Please take a look and let me know if you have anymore questions about the system.

Sincerely,
MJ Thomas
Bennett Marine, Inc.
Client Services
trimtabs@earthlink.net

NoTime
11-08-2003, 08:43 AM
Tabman,

Give me some advice. My '90 22 Classic was equiped with Bennett 18" span standard tabs with single rams. I think the cord was 9" but don't know for sure since the planes were missing when I bought the boat. One of the ram's is broken, but the other seems to be fine, and the previous owner said the pump was working when the planes and ram broke. I want to get the trim system back in working order and up to snuff for a 60 -70 mph boat. Plus I would like not to break the bank doing so. I've got a bunch of glass work to do on the boat, so filling existing holes will not be a big issue.

How do I test the current pump? Is a single ram system OK for this boat? What are the down sides if I stick with the single ram? How much span/cord should I use?

Thanks
Chuck

Tabman II
11-10-2003, 01:00 PM
NoTime,

Please try this troubleshooting guide link; http://www.bennetttrimtabs.com/trouble.htm, which will take you to our web page. Run through the test and let me know your findings, so we can ensure the V-351 Hydraulic Power Unit is working correctly.

18 x 9's seem a bit large for the speeds your 22 can obtain, so you may want to look into installing 12 x 12's. You can pick some Trim Plane Assemblies 12 x 12 (TPA1212, $109 each) at any of your local marine dealers, catalog &/or Internet retailers. Dual vs. single actuators is really up to you, since the single actuator will be able to handle the punishment you will give it.

Please give the trouble shooting a try and let me know your finding as soon as you can, so we can get your system up & running again!

Sincerely,
MJ Thomas
Bennett Marine, Inc.
Client Services
trimtabs@earthlink.net

AMAROK
11-14-2003, 03:22 PM
Hi Rootsy,

You said "IR Spectroscopy", that is a pretty specific field. I work for a company in the spectroscopy market, ever hear of Andor? We make silicon CCD detectors.

Amarok

Biskit
11-14-2003, 06:58 PM
Ditto A+ on Victory Trim Tabs. I ordered a set after I bent the %$#@ out of mine and I'm no brain specialist but I can see a big difference. One: We are talking major stiff alumium plates as apposed to the flimsy stainless steel sheet which they bend on the ends to add strength. Two: the longer length of the tab makes the boat respond like a longer boat. Thats a simple improvement in handling. I noticed a slightly bent bennett caused my boat to cycle up and down on the bent side which really screwed with the handling. I like the way the guy desighed the pad to fit the stock bennett lower holes which was a home run in my book. The price is the best part of all. Less than 300.00 dollars and the welds look excellent to me.