PDA

View Full Version : G21-45 is HOME now...(updated with a pic)

oldLenny
11-03-2003, 06:31 PM
Well, the GT21 made it home without even the tiniest glitch. All seems in order and its not in bad shape at all. Had the boat by a VOLVO shop to let them have a peek. (need 270 B upper and lower, transom shield is in place as is steering and controls etc.)

Border was a breeze, after they asked where it was manufactured, (they don't know what a "DONZI" is...) and I said Miami out came a team of three customs/DEA type officers and the black labs with eager noses. Dogs were loaded into the cockpit and engine compartment. A non event tho. Now I know the boat is "safe" to go back and forth to the San Juans for the rest of its' life with no worries. Need a nice (new)windshield frame as well and new plexi.

http://www.donzi.net/photos/Lennys'_GT21.jpg

terry
11-03-2003, 07:02 PM
Lenny,
thats good that you got her home safe and sound!

please post some pics soon.

ToonaFish
11-03-2003, 10:47 PM
It seems like only yesterday that Lenny was in the midst of a three year search for a single Donzi... congrats on the addition to the fleet!

mattyboy
11-04-2003, 06:32 AM
lenny,
try this link for volvo stuff

http://www.a1discountprop.com/qusi-volvosd.htm

Matty

1996Z15
11-04-2003, 02:38 PM
Are they exhaust outlets on the side of the boat?

olredalert
11-04-2003, 04:31 PM
Lenny,

------You will love the 21GT.I had one new and I think it handles and rides every bit as good as a 22 Classic.The interior was as deluxe as DONZI ever put in a boat.What are your plans?Full resto?Modifications?........Bill S

boldts
11-04-2003, 04:54 PM
Yep, doesn't look like this GT quite made it to Oregon. Nice pick-up Lenny. Good luck with her!

Ed Donnelly
11-04-2003, 05:10 PM
Take them out of the south,and deliver them to the far north,as God intended..Ed

oldLenny
11-04-2003, 05:26 PM
Red. No resto
Just a cut wax (wet sand) etc.

1)need to get the windshield replaced and I would love to find a new frame for it somehow.

2) move exhaust (and remove muffflers) and put them back thru the transom where they were filled in.

3) replace aluminum rub-rail with new. Anyone know the Taco code # for this piece. I think it is bigger than the 16-18.???

4) fix/replace the 270 with something that WORKS. Anyone got a 270 "B" for sale?

5) replace canvas cover with new.

6) clean up some wiring and detail issues on the motor. 350. sounds great, runs great.

Then simply use it. No fix up. It is to be the boat that a few people can travel in, comfortably, as opposed to a two seat "bench" and the impracticality that provides in a social setting or any of the "others" that will not be much fun for novices to ride in, in big water. (Myself EXCLUDED)
I think this one will fit in well here for the people that aren't all that happy being out in the middle of nowhere, running in 3-4's. It will allow me to take my two kids out as well. 7-15, in style.

Poodle, that colour is wonderful and you know it. wink

Ed, you are correct with that observation, we just need more time and money to complete the process :D

Yes, that is the exhaust out the side right now. ...break out the fiberglass...

QUESTION??? how did they run twins on these things? I know there is a ton of room in there but the transom has SUCH a curve to it what did they do to augment the placement of the drives and support on this curvelinear(sp) surface?

Ed Donnelly
11-04-2003, 05:46 PM
Impractical two seat bench,rings of Criterion SS. I can hear the howling 1400 miles south of me.Who needs room to stand up or even move around in a boat? Just because a 16'has 3 times more room than my boat means nothing. :( :( ..Ed

BUIZILLA
11-04-2003, 06:34 PM
Mississippi ??

I kinda like the side exhaust, now you have room for a platform and diving board for the kids :D

J

olredalert
11-04-2003, 07:30 PM
Lenny,

------That windshield was probably made by Taylor-Made.Ill bet that the aluminum extrusions are around,and able to be ordered from somewhere.Then your fabrication skills will come into play.
------As you are probably aware the front windshield was a problem on the GT21.DONZI even had a turnbuckle arrangement that went from the center of the upper windshield frame to the dash.It acted as a brace.Back in the day you had to complain or know what to ask for to get it but this brace did help.
------Not that this is pertinent,but DONZI also had a sort of vent window option for the side-panes.I believe that the GT21 twin has this option.It let some fresh air into the cockpit on a hot day at slower speeds.The vent went from the peak of the side-window to the deck and was hinged in the middle somehow.I havent seen a GT21 with the vents since probably 1972 so Im not sure of how they latched.It would be cool to duplicate them,however!
------There were also side straps available for the driver and passenger front seats.Yup,it was an option.You will never see it on an option list though.They were aluminum strap,and were added for strength.Apparently some of us were punishing the original GT seats a little too much!I could draw you a picture of them and could make a set pretty easily.
------Hope all this rambling helps........Bill S

oldLenny
11-04-2003, 07:54 PM
Thanks Bill. Always have room for more DONZI info in my head. Keep it coming.

I think I will ask James Bond about his GT and what he has done. I also believe that the windshield has been cut down on his boat and I want to see a pic of it set-up. I will NEVER find any of the old stuff around here Bill, so original, ( a re-fab) will be my only method. The Crit SS would be a dream boat for sure. I was only making comments from a family "weekend" point of view, not a performance "super fun" point of view Ed. (Take it easy Poodle... :D ) I was referring to 4-6 people in the same boat and a social interaction. That is what this one is for...The others are for insanity :)

BERTRAM BOY
11-04-2003, 09:08 PM
Lenny,
Beware of the new style rubrail... The old Bonnell was drilled 6" on center. The later style Taco is 6.250, or 6.500. I can't remember which.

BERTRAM BOY :D :D :D

oldLenny
11-04-2003, 09:58 PM
Owen is fine, doing well, now having a "blast" in life. He doesn't have the time it needs to make these things come alive at this point. ('nor do I actually) All is well in Oregon and I take my hat off to him and his assistance in making this all happen...A GOOD GUY... :)

Now, I have to get back to propagating the Northwest with "noisy" boats.. :p

...now, anyone of you guys can visit, stay for free, run the Pacific, Gulf Islands, or San Juans in style...Fill your boots anyone, the offer is standing, always... :D

terry
11-04-2003, 10:16 PM
and the 18 when I want to pass everyone Ooookeeee :p biggrin.

oldLenny
11-05-2003, 12:55 AM
...here we gooo... :D

EricG
11-05-2003, 10:35 AM
That's going to be a great rig for the snotty NW water up there Len. Glad the infamous Ebay boat made it too a good home. After hearing what that boat went through on the trip out west...make sure your gentle with it - it's been very traumatized! eek! Hearing Owen tell that tale was one of my highlights of last summer :D .

Sometime this spring, I think Kathy and I will jump on my new two-wheel diversion and ride up to check out the Lenny Skunk works.

Agian, congrats on the new boat.

-EG

Drinsect
11-06-2003, 09:32 PM
Lenny I am just starting to restor a 21 GT I need to replace the gas tank and Imron the boat. It is a pumpkin color and white with a red stripe on the side. Also I must repalce all the interior seating. I am looking for any suggestions

oldLenny
11-06-2003, 10:18 PM
The gas tank issue, I do NOT know the answer to, but have been wondering if you broke the rear (transom end) bulkhead, between the stringers and removed the motor, you might be able to pull it back. I do not know tho. If you are restoring/fixing this thing up to be pretty then the "deck off" scenario is a must anyway. Getting the new tank should be a snap.

My is not yet leaking and I have enough headaches already so a restoration is not going to happen.

I conatcted Bilt-Rite and they DO have the patterns for the GT interior. Pricing, I don't know as yet, but it is available.

Bob Ellmann
Bilt-Rite Upholstery
302 5th Street SW
Roanoke, Va 24016
540-981-1711

Bkns84@aol.com

..he needs a pic of your current configuration to make a determination.

Do you have the small block or big? and what drive? What number is she? Send me some mail, post some pics! :) Best of luck with her.

highland@coastnet.com

Jamesbon
11-07-2003, 06:20 AM
Nice find Lenny!

Yes, I replaced the original, leaking, foamed in 60 gallon tank with a new nylon 52 gallon unit identical to what's now used in the 22 Classics.

It never occured to me to rip out the rear bulk head and send the tank back into the engine compartment to remove. If I still had it here, I'd measure and give you a prediction if it would work or not...I ended up removing my deck to extract the old tank...