PDA

View Full Version : Advice on 94 vs. 95 vs. 96 Sweet 16

mhsatl
11-03-2003, 01:57 PM
I'm looking to buy from within the Southeast, a 16 ft. classic Donzi (I don't know the difference between the "sweet", "classic" or some reference to skiing).

But of the three I've lined up here locally, they all have the wrap-around seat, and all seem to have the same MO, "too fast for the little misses to drive".

So, amongst the three years, 94, 95, 96, any preferences, and on the 94 the exhaust comes thru the transome while the others do not, but I'm in the dark a bit - please help.

Also, if there is no wrap-around seat, and the two bucket seats face forward, is that the classic?

Mike

bjh517
11-03-2003, 02:11 PM
Here is my understanding, though I am no expert.
The "Sweet 16" is actually the name of the configuration with 2 buckets up front. "Ski Sporter" was the term for the wrap-around seating. I just puschased a 1995 16 Donzi. I don't think thru-hull exhaust was standard on any 16.
Am I correct, guys?

Rootsy
11-03-2003, 02:32 PM
actually i do believe the ski sporter was the original designation of the 16 from it's 1964 intro until 1980's. in about 89 it was designated the "sweet 16" by OMC when they reintroduced it... AMH also changed the cockpit so that you could get either the 2+2 setup or the wrap around. Prior to AMH ALL 16's were wrap around seating.

the boat is not too fast for the missus to drive.. anywhere from the 53 - 57 mph range in stock form depending upon power / drive... if she is versed in boat operation she'll be just fine.. same as with any guy out there... just have to learn the boat and don't push it until you are comfortable... it has charactaristics all it's own...

thru-hulls, no thru-hulls... they come both ways... norm in the 60's and 70's was with thru-hull... my 97 and most of the others of the 90's that i have seen came with thru-hulls...

RedDog
11-03-2003, 05:15 PM
Remember - speed is a function of throttle position. The miss doesn't have to put it all the way forward. In fact, my miss has imposed a strict speed limit of 55 MPH for when I am out with my boys. I DO NOT VIOLATE IT NO WAY NO HOW - The punishment would be too severe :rolleyes:

Bad-Tat
11-03-2003, 10:13 PM
Mike,
E-mail me. Have just what you're looking for up here in Cumming. 90 Sweet 16 at a good price. Tried to e-mail you and it keeps coming back as user unknown.
wbateman@hotmail.com