PDA

View Full Version : Repair Question?

ashjosh
11-03-2003, 01:02 PM
Hi There, I have a 25' Regazza, that has a soft spot in the floor of the cuddy as soon as you step in, this is probably the firts are to step in. I had a guy price the repair and he told me $600.00 for this are that is only 24" X 36", I decline the repair thinking that this is to much money for the repair. I am goint to try to do it my self with fiberglass resin, mesh & wood. My question is, hope someone could help me is... What type of wood will I need for this repair?
Where can I find it, NY Long Island area?
Do you guy know someone in the are that could do it for a reasonable price?
And any tips for the repair will be welcome.

Thanks.

MOP
11-03-2003, 05:04 PM
Get hold of Tom "Rustnrot" he can supply you with the very best "never" rot plywood. And he will be coming north pretty soon.

Phil

ashjosh
11-04-2003, 11:25 AM
How can I get a hold to this person "RUSTNROT", does he has a website, phone number, location, etc..., Please let me know.

Thanks,
JM

MOP
11-04-2003, 05:56 PM
You got mail, told Tom you would be calling!

Phil

rustnrot
11-04-2003, 06:30 PM
Here is the stuff. http://www.greenwoodproducts.com/xlpanels.htm I can provide thicknesses of 1/4", 3/8", 1/2", 5/8" 3/4". I always have plenty of 1/4" and 1/2" but can get the others and have limited amounts of 3/8", 5/8" and 3/4" right now. I am coming northeast (NJ) in a week or two and am bringing some for 3 others so far.

ashjosh
11-05-2003, 08:30 AM
Hi Rustnrot;
I don't need a big piece but I could use a 4x4x1/2. The area that I need to repair is the floor part inside the cudy on a 25' Regazza, I think is like 24"x48" just to the edge of the step, I don't need to go under the step. In reality the damage are is only 10"x2" in diameter but I think cutting the rest out and placing the new board will do a better job or if you think of a better solution please let me know. Someone told me to just lay down a piece of 3/8 over the entire area, screw it and glue it all over the edges and that should be good. But I am not so sure I think that is just patching a problem not rely fixing it, I fix the cause a clog drain under the step that run to the bilge in the back. No how much this piece will cost also. I could pick it up in NJ.

Thanks.
JM

oldLenny
11-06-2003, 11:01 PM
Rustnrot, we actually have 1 1/2" Greenwood XL thickness here as well. It is only available in lift quantities out of Oregon but it sees a LOT of use for stringers and no need for build-up or lamination. It is a great product.

Don't forget that you could also use 2 pieces of 2' x 4' 1/2-1" balsa core or coremat or cell-core. All will stiffen it up to original standards or moreso. The plywood IS your easiest, while in the boat, working upside down, and no disassembly required. It also provides a good surface to screw stuff to.