PDA

View Full Version : 26zx owner flipped out of boat

Kelly Bell
07-24-2002, 10:45 AM
I am a new Donzi owner (22zx) and was wondering if anyone has heard of the zx line ejecting people out of the boat or in this case flip the boat. A owner here in Michigan was flipped out of his 26zx and ejected four people out of the boat, I heard the boat completely flipped but that may just be heresay. I have felt the stepped hull dig in while turning, but was wondering how easy this could happen or if it has happened to anyone out there. Thanks!

mjpcowboy
07-24-2002, 11:30 AM
I have had a 26ZX and currently have a 33ZX. I have been very agressive in a turn without any problems. I am aware of a person being ejected from a 45Zx and it is not clear if one of the drives got hit sending it into a dive or what happened however the driver was ejected and the boat continued onto land. It is true you can feel a step bite in a turn while a non step hull tends to slide into a turn. It is my opinion that you need to drive a step hull different than a non-step to avoid catching on the side, but I have not had any problems. Rick

HyperDonzi
07-24-2002, 11:45 AM
until now i have always thought the 26/28zx we one of the safestes boats on the market.

Lil Grizz
07-24-2002, 12:09 PM
I have had my 22zx for around 2 years now. I drive the hell out of it and it has only "hooked" in a turn one time. That happened when I first bought the boat and I was intentionally trying to make somthing like that happen. It took me tryng to make a jet-ski turn at speed to get it to hop up and do its little dance. In everyday driving I have never come close to replicating that scenario.

Basically If you drive the boat like a boat and not like a sea-doo you should be fine. If you go diving into a 90 degree at 50mph then chances are somthing bad is going to happen.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
07-24-2002, 12:17 PM
We are conservative when turning with two steps, my 26ZX has never let go.

Did you get the 22ZX running Kelly?
Bryan

Kelly Bell
07-24-2002, 01:00 PM
Yes it is running great now. It was a sensor in the distributor cap. We also changed the coil and so far so good.

mjpcowboy
07-24-2002, 01:48 PM
I think the entire ZX line is very stable and safe. Just because a step hull can catch in a very agressive turn does not take away from the fact the you can put these boats in almost any type of water and feel in total control. I took a ride on a 29 Baja last weekend on calm water with 500HP's and felt completely out of control because of all the chine walking it was doing. My 33 can run wide open in very rough water with the same power and you always feel in control. Even with the significant size and weight difference I run within 2-4 of that boat and have a much better ride. I think the step hull is great! :)

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
07-24-2002, 01:58 PM
Kelly, that is GREAT!
Keep me posted, I am just curious, I think she will bring you lots of faithful service...
Good Luck, and for your 22ZX be at least at 1/4 trim up on the gauge for big turns and 1/2 for tight turns above 45ish MPG.
Bryan

Shanghied Again
07-24-2002, 04:16 PM
I am a very aggressive driver and have had experience with step hull bottoms, The 22ZX is the loosest and if you know what you are doing very easy to control. The 26 ZX I have not spun out yet She is a very stable step. I have taken my 26 ZX through some turns I wouldn't take with my sons 13 ft bullet, Thats how sure I am of the hull. Something tells me there is a little driver error here! The 26ZX doesn't even chine walk! Can take 6 to 8fters and can fly better then any boat I have been in!

Shanghied Again
07-24-2002, 04:48 PM
Scott 1600 hp Xtremes Drives on Boxes Almost complete and ready to go! I was on the 38ZR with Steve Simon an Sarasota we were testing props she is such a great running boat at 88, I can't wait to exceed 115 in her eek!

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
07-24-2002, 05:06 PM
Frank, I agree with you totally on your post!
LifeLine Jackets on, Lanyard attached! I always feel safe.
YOU HAVE MAIL replied to your email.

Mr. Poodle where can I buy a 5" wide, 12" long galvanized or Stainless U Bolt???
All the companies online won't sell direct?
I would have called but the teenager wiped the PALM PILOT clean, lost you numbers....
HELP!!!
Bryan

Hardonzi
07-24-2002, 09:47 PM
I never had any problems with my 22 ZX,It`s an awesome ride and I do push it.Stay focused and commonsence will do just find.A 22ZX should not be making tight turns at high rates of speed,IT`S TOO LIGHT.I`ve run my 22 against anything 30 or under with stock power and stay with it all day.I truly believe this is the sweetest 22 on the market.The 33 Daytona is the ultimate ride!