PDA

View Full Version : Oil pressure switch???

crow
10-29-2003, 04:24 PM
I'm still working out the kinks on the 97' sweet 16 we got a couple months ago. It's got a 4.3LX Gen + Alpha in it.

Since getting the boat, the alarm sounds as soon as the key is turned. Oil pressure gauge and trim gauge not working (but I know what the problem is with the trim, the wires going into the sending unit have worn).

Last weekend we took it out and it ran great for about 2-3 hours. This past weekend we went out and ran it for about 3 1/2 hours, pulling tube or skiers. THEN, after stopping to get a skier back in the boat, started up and went to cruise around. Every time I got the throtle about halfway, the engine stalled. Then it started as shortly after putting it in gear.

We changed the fuel filter and filled it with gas (it took 22 gallons on a 30 gallon tank). Still same problem, though now it would stall if left in neutral as well. Listening for the fuel sending unit, it didn't seem to be turning on. However, testing the fuel sending unit strait from the battery indicated that it was functional. Wiring seems to be in decent shape. Our best guess now is either the oil pressure switch or oil pressure sending unit, since it seems that one of these tells the fuel sending unit to turn on.

Does this sound logical? Any other ideas?

ps. I'm new to the boards and wanted to send my sympathy for the recent loss of one of your own.

smokediver
10-29-2003, 04:42 PM
welcome to the board... yes there is a oil pressure sensor on the port side lower block that ties into the fuel pump.. from my understanding they have been known to go bad.. i would start there..