PDA

View Full Version : Steve Simon

Cuda
10-28-2003, 02:36 PM
It's so sad to lose a man like him with so much energy and love of life. Here is a link to someone that new him earlier and gives a good insight to what made Steve the kind of man that we all miss so much.

Steve (http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=62382)

BUIZILLA
10-28-2003, 03:52 PM
I read that last night, and it just made me stop and think, that in my 50 years would anyone remember me in that sense... I hope so as well. Excellent tribute, to an even better man.

J

MOP
10-28-2003, 04:41 PM
I never met Steve, but I have not been this moved in many a year. All I can give is my thoughts and prayers to his family and all who knew him it is very easy to see he was a very special Guy!

FASTEDDIE
10-28-2003, 05:52 PM
Cuda,
Thanks for sharing that post. It told so many wonderful insights in this special person. Steve Simon was a SPECIAL Donzi guy.He leaves a HUGH pair of shoes to be filled. Please watch over us all on the water Steve and keep us safe.

GeneD
10-29-2003, 12:57 PM
I just got back from the funeral.
Steve was well represented by his family and friends. There were at least 250 people there, and more than likely many more than that. The Donzi Registry was well represented as well, with many members attending.
His life was revisited, and Lee Kimmel compared him to another well known Donzi personna, Don Aronow himself.
We are all diminished by his passing, and he will not be soon forgotten.
Steve Simon 1964-2003
Full Throttle Steve!

smokediver
10-29-2003, 04:50 PM
I too just returned from Steves' funeral.. I was not personal friends with Steve or his family but they were always very nice to me at get togethers.. It was very humbling to be there and to the people who knew Steve well and his family , you have my deepest condolences...May God bless you all and keep you safe..

Cuda
10-29-2003, 05:39 PM
DMan has added a couple more stories about the life of Steve in the link above. It is good to remember how he lived on this day he was laid to rest.

boldts
10-30-2003, 10:51 PM
While I had considered driving down to Sarasota from Columbus, OH Tuesday night, My wife Beth convinced me that I should not make the trip. Believe me, not because we both did not care to be at the funeral. Maybe my thoughts were clouded at the time, but I wanted to place an AOTH III t-shirt to be buried with the casket. I guess my way of honoring him much like we bury an American Flag with our servicemen.

As I mentioned before, I only got to meet Mr. Simon one time in Cleveland, OH. The best part was not that I met him, but the way I met him. Beth, Allison and I were looking at the Donzi F-2 race boat when Steve walked up to me and not knowing me, said "Hello, my name is Steve Simon from Donzi. Where did you get the Donzi shirts you all are wearing?" I'm thinking "Oh No, I'm in trouble for copying Donzi pictures and placing them on our AOTH shirts!" I simply returned the introduction and said "My name is Scott Boldt" Before I could say another word, Steve said "Of the Midwest Donzi Club" I was speechless. I actually really didn't think anyone from Donzi knew my name! Steve not only knew about the club, but expressed a warm thank-you for all the club was doing to help promote Donzi boats in the Midwest. This was on a race weekend with people and responsibilities pulling on every minute of Steve's time. Steve went on to make sure that my family and I had the opportunity to meet the race team. We got a up close and personnel view of the race boat along with being invited to the Donzi hospitality tent, food and refreshments.

Steve Simon is racing at the right hand of God the father and watching over all of us. Beth and I lit a candle at church last Sunday and said our own personnel prayer. At first, I was angry on Monday when I read Steve had passed. Was my prayer a waste of time? I then realized that when ever we lose someone to the lord, it is for the continuation of a plan much bigger than any of us can image. God needed Steve Simon to help with that plan.

I borrowed this web address from the other site. If you never had the opportunity to meet Mr. Simon, take a moment and view this video from one of the race sites where Donzi had finished first on that day.

www.myriadfx.com/audacityracing/steve.mpg (http://www.myriadfx.com/audacityracing/steve.mpg)

Cuda
10-31-2003, 05:55 PM
I still can't believe he's gone. Even though I only met him a few times, he's passing has really had an effect on me, I can't seem to shake the feeling of loss.

I know one thing that I have changed since his passing, I no longer ignore the seat belt bell going off in my truck. When I hear it, I think of Steve and buckle up. Who knows, one day he may save my life because of his own tragedy.

Cuda
10-31-2003, 07:50 PM
I didn't know that, I thought since he was ejected that it wasn't on. I'm going to wear it thinking of him from now on anyway.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
10-31-2003, 10:09 PM
Scott Boldts, thanks for the great post about Steve, it was heart felt here.
It really hit home.
God Bless all.
Bryan

boldts
10-31-2003, 11:31 PM
Bryan, the thanks I think should go to everyone on both OSO and here on Donzi.net who have shared their stories of time spent with Steve. My meeting was small potatoes compared to many of the others I've read. Steve has left an impact on so many while he was with us. I'd like to thank Cuda for posting the link to the OSO thread by D-man. I have to admit, I do not visit the OSO site on a daily basis like I do Donzi.net. I'm glad I took the time to read each and every post about Steve over there. I've found that my meeting story is and has been repeated with many other boaters and racers.

Shanghied Again
11-01-2003, 09:08 AM
Here is my story with Steve.
In 1996 I bought my 1996 Donzi 16 Beautiful boat reminded me of my fathers, Rick Levi was the Salesman. The Marina I bought the boat from abused my boat they moved on rollers. We pulled in the Marina one day and one of the salesman had people on it yada yada.
Well in April when I took water delivery the boat was damaged and fated. The Marina said oh well.
I then called Donzi, Thats when I got to talk to Steve, He was new at Donzi and loved to talk, He asked for pictures and told the Marina to take care of the problem, Well they did they painted my boat my trailer and my white bottom.
I called Steve again and mailed pics back.
He was stunned he actually flew out to take a look.
Now I got to meet Steve, What a guy we talked about everything, Racing, Performance boats and his Ideas. He took to my kids as soon his met them, He helped me get the paint off the bottom said there was nothing he could do with the donzi flags that were backward, but told me me he can give me a new 16 or if I wanted to trade up he would give me full price for the boat and trailer, Then he talked about the ZXs.
In 1998 I bought the 22ZX Steve helped me through the whole process and we got even closer.
We met up at the Key West race sand Sarasota races and became good freinds.
Then in 1999 I got to meet on the Key West Poker run Nick Miller, The quiet Mike Miller, (Yes Quiet) Steve had me pose with the Hawaiin Tropic girls. Then I had the pleasure of meeting Dustin.
No matter what race or Poker Run I would always look for Steve and he would always come out of his way to see me and my family. Like in Key West Dustin and Steve passed us on a Motorycycle we turned around to see if we can catch him we had a 3 wheeled car and a Scooter. But Steve and Dustin Turned around also to come back and see us. (This was a Freind) My Son Frankie loved him When we were in Sarasota for the Poker Run. Steve was testing the 38ZR he asked me and my son if we wanted to go. I wasn't refusing that ride! My son sat in the back middle seat with a smile that looks like it was painted on.
Steve was like an Icon he was what Donzi is today and had the heart and sole to make Donzi the leader in performance. My Family will miss Steve very much, I can't even look at my boat without getting tearie eyed thinking of all the great times we had together.
Steve if you can hear me and if your spirit is here on earth you can ride with me anytime as you once said to me I will always have an open seat for you.
May God Be With Steve Always.
Our Love
The Civitanos http://www.donzi.net/photos/Steve Simon.jpg

BIG BAD DONZI
11-01-2003, 10:35 AM
News of Steve's passing is a shock.
That he is gone is a tragedy that will not easily be forgotten.
Steve was a wonderful and special person with everything in life ahead of him and now that he is pointlessly gone, I am once again reminded of something my Dad always used to say - "You've got to be lucky to get through". Steve left his mark and the powerboating world and all who were lucky enough to know him will never forget him.
Heartfelt condolences to the Simon family.

Michael Aronow