PDA

View Full Version : Pumping out old gas........

Lineleader
08-26-2002, 06:08 PM
I need to dump approx. 25 gallons of old fuel (18 months+-)from the GT-21. The local waste disposal pump is out of commission. Anybody got a good idea on how to offload the fuel into containers or a drum? I am, of course assuming siphoning by mouth is a very bad idea. Once out, the fuel will be taken to the waste disposal facility.

Thanks,

LL

HyperDonzi
08-26-2002, 06:33 PM
i know in a pinch, an oil pump will work but it isnt the best thing to use. making a siphon would also work, i know someone who did this and i will ask for directions when i next see him which will probably be tomorrow.

harbormaster
08-26-2002, 06:52 PM
go buy a cheap electric fuel pump.

HyperDonzi
08-26-2002, 06:57 PM
well geez, anyone could have thought of that wink

Shanghied Again
08-26-2002, 07:12 PM
Use a hand pump with no gears! An oil pump works great the type you use to drain your motor oil! You can buy them with a 5 gallon can attached!

Moody Blu'
08-26-2002, 07:44 PM
yas i used an oil pump that you attach to an electric drill, it worked great.

KMLFAMILY
08-26-2002, 08:07 PM
WWW.NORTHERNTOOL.COM (http://WWW.NORTHERNTOOL.COM) In search put item #109936. It is made for handling fuel.If you can access the fuel sender and remove. Install this and pick-up fuel and debris at bottom. An idea any way.

Jamesbon
08-26-2002, 09:48 PM
Your mouth works fine, guess how I know that? An electric fuel pump works much better though.

Where can I see pics of your GT?

Lineleader
08-26-2002, 11:00 PM
Thanks for all the good advice!

This is the only pic I have uploaded so far. This is the first time I've tried to post a pic. We'll see.

http://www.donzi.net/photos/mholder02.jpg

LL

Forrest
08-27-2002, 09:23 AM
Nice Donzi!

Another trick is to put a long siphon down in the tank, seal off the tank vent with tape, and wrap a rag around the siphon hose to somewhat seal off the tank where siphon hose enters tank. Now get an air hose and a blow nozzle and shoot air in the siphon hose for few seconds. When you stop, the pressure in the tank will force the fuel back up the hose and start a siphon. Works every time.

Hell, as long as it doesn't have water in it, I mix old gas about 50/50 with fresh and burn it in my '88 Chevy van.

mattyboy
08-27-2002, 09:43 AM
DON'T USE A DRILL POWERED PUMP THEY GET TOO HOT!

AND GO BOOM!!!!

if you remember back about 6 months ago the bldg expolosion in lower Manhattan guy was transfering paint thiner with that type of pump, well enough said

I would use a siphon put a hose in the tank to the bottom then pump water thru the hose to remove air (don't use to much water you're not worried about the fuel anyway) then remove from spiget and let drain. it works like a champ as long as you get the end in the tank at the bottom and keep the other end lower than the tank.
the other thing a saw is the auto siphone hose, it has a check valve so you just tap it up and down in the tank once the hose is filled it runs till empty saw em at a boat show pretty neat!

the oil pumps used on drills have warnings not to pump flammable liquids with them

Matt

AVickers
08-27-2002, 09:57 AM
As for disposing of the old gas... Burn it.

Put about five gallons at a time in your car or truck tank and mix w/ fresh gas. That'll save you from having to worry about disposing of that amount of dangerous liquid. And save you some bucks.

Jamesbon
08-27-2002, 10:21 AM
Nice GT! Tell us more about it!

Lineleader
08-27-2002, 08:29 PM
Nathan, et al:

Sorry it took me a bit to get back with you, I made the silly mistake of thinking since I whipped the posting a picture thing, I could put in an avatar......WRONG. I'm about to bring out the big guns and call on the great one..HarborM.

Anyway, thanks for asking about the GT.

Its a 1975 GT-21. It has a 1997 454 (7.4L) Mercruiser with what I believe to be a Weber carb that is in desparate need of an rebuild after the extended layover.

I'll post more pics after I get her a going!

I still have plenty of questions yet to come.

LL

MOP
08-27-2002, 10:05 PM
Borrow an outboard motor fuel line with the bulb, run a line up through the hull drain this will eliminate fuel spills in the boat and having to hand the gas down. Use a good long hose put the squeese bulb close to the tank. It takes quite a while to drain 4-4 1/2 gal into a 5 gal jug. get a helper to watch the level while you probe the tanks corners for junk. You have a plastic tank so make sure to round and smooth the end of the tube. So you don't scrape shavings loose as I have seeen done a few times. Keep it simple and safe.

P.S. you can use a small wooden dowl slid down next to the hose to check the amount of gas in the jug and a golf tee to plug the hose to switch jugs.

Murphy
08-28-2002, 09:45 AM
MOP's advice above is the best. Be extremely careful of any motorized pump and especially DO NOT use a power drill Heat combined with rotation or friction of any kind will cause vapor buildup and the smallest spark will go BOOOOOOMMMMM!!!! No more Donzi. I once witnessed a misguided attempt at this and a serious disaster was avoided only by pure dumb luck. PS... keep a big fire extinguisher on hand.

Murph

Jamesbon
08-28-2002, 11:03 PM
Right On Lineleader! We're eagerly awaiting more pics. Sounds like a nice package.

If you don't already know, I too have a GT which is undergoing a MAJOR (http://www.donzi.net/photos/nscupside.jpg) restoration. (over a year now) The hull and deck are FINALLY ready for gel coat which should be arriving tomorrow...

As far as I know, there's only a handful of GT's (http://www.donzi.net/photos/nscgt.jpg)around :D

DON N.
08-29-2002, 02:04 AM
I work with solvents such as gasoline and when going from one container to another (1)a nitrogen purge is used (2)a ground strap is used (3)and a dipleg is used to prevent static electricty. Remove the elements that can cause a fire to prevent one. BE SAFE! thats a very nice GT.

Lineleader
08-29-2002, 06:15 PM
Again thanks to all who offered advice.

I think you all now have instilled in me the appropriate level of sheer terror.

Don N- You sure sound like you know what you're talking about. Unfortunately for me, I have no earthy idea what those items are, but I think I get the general jest of it. Thanks.

Bon, Jamesbon- what an undertaking! Best of luck. Please keep us posted.

LL

tailwind
08-29-2002, 08:21 PM
Hey Lineleader:

What a great looking Donzi!

Maybe a bit off target on your post, but? Rather than dumping this fuel you might try this:

First, make sure you have a high quality fuel filter, with a replaceable canister element, such as Racor etc., installed foward of your fuel pump. Replace the filter element and get a 5 gallon gas can and go to your closest general aviation airport. Fill it with 100LL (Low Lead) aviation fuel, and transfer into your tank. Av gas is formulated to last much longer than car gas. Crank your DONZI up with the appropriate water cooling hose and see. My bet is that it will run so so, or better, but not peak. If not satisfied, drain it and run it through your lawn mower.

Most all will agree that fuel additives are unnecessary, unless left to sit up for long periods. On the other side, if this fails youre only out $10.00 for the gas. Let us know how you do here, as this is a potential problem for all of us.

Randy