PDA

View Full Version : 2004 38ZX????'s

38zxdreamin'
10-27-2003, 08:39 PM
I am working with a local dealer on ordering a 2004 38ZX with 525's. I am wanting some feedback from folks who have ordered boats, and owners of similar boats. I also heard that there is no Zcare with the 04's could someone please clarify this. I love the site, check in quite often.

Thanks
Corey

Reckless288
10-28-2003, 11:02 AM
I know a guy who just received his this past late July with 525's, ITS', and a slightly higher x-dimension. Supposededly it's the firast one configured as such. He's had a few rigging problems mainly involving the engine/outdrive. Seems the water intake lines were installed in such a way it pinched one of them and he's gone thru I think 3 pumps before discovering the problem. Also he's had recurring vapor-lock on the full hydraulic steering system. The mech whose done the servicing is having a hard time receving warranty payment for the work and Offshore Performance (selling dealer) isn't or hasn't stepped to the plate yet to make him happy. Also he was given the new 5 blade Bravo which didn't really do anything and is in need of tweaking

During the build process he was promised the boat would hit 80mph. Was even told they tested it at 80 prior to delivery. The boat I think pegs around 76mph. Also the hour meter didn't indicate any time for testing, and first time in the water the hydraulic steering vapor-locked within yards of the dock. Another indicator of not testing.

Not to only point out the negatives. The boat is gorgeous with a red gel-coated bottom and all the amenities. Just take everything said and promised with a grain of sand as you would with any major purchase of any kind. Keep expectations realistic and if able test run the boat prior to signing receipt in case you discover something other than minor wrong with your $220-250k investment. Good luck. You've chosen a very stellar rig...

mjpcowboy
10-28-2003, 12:01 PM
As of 2004 Z-Care is a thing of the past. A buddy of mine has a 38ZX Daytona with 500 EFI's and runs the same speed as I can run in my 33ZX with same power (not a Daytona). I have ordered three boats from the factory and have had some trying expierences however would do it again.
Make certain you spend the time and money and check it out in FL before the send it to your dealer. Much better to get problems (which you will have) fixed before it is delivered.

Best of luck.

38zxdreamin'
10-28-2003, 04:17 PM
thanks for the input,
Does anyone have any knowledge of what type of warranty will be offered. The 5 year Z-care was a big selling point in ordering a new boat. I am also searching for used ZX's, but with incentives out there right now, I can just about get into a new one for the same price as a used one. If anyone has a 99' or newer 38 for sale, please drop me an email at lonestarmow@hotmail.com
thanks again for the replies.

Corey

38zxdreamin'
10-28-2003, 04:20 PM
Bye the way mjpcowboy,
When I find a boat I will be boating frequently at LOTO. I have noticed you on OSO as well, would like to meet up next year if possible.
Not many Donzi's in the area, it would be neat to get some owners together every now and then.

Corey

mjpcowboy
10-28-2003, 04:57 PM
Corey,

I would look for 2001 and up as several good changes were made over the 99 and 2000.
The Z-care was more mental piece of mind than it is cracked up to be. It is my understanding that the "Z Care" was an extended warranty purchased by Donzi (included in the selling price) for marketing. I have a 2001 with "Z Care" and have received nothing indicating the extended warranty except for the material Donzi printed during those years. I have heard they are handling warranty issues on a case by case basis and that in fact no extended warranty was actually purchased on these boats. Don't get me wrong they are honoring warranty claims however it is not being done through a third party on some boats.
You would be better off purchasing a extended warranty on your own through a third party and pay less for the boat if you indeed want the piece of mind the warranty has to offer.
I have a house at L.O.T.O. and would be happy to get together when you are down there. My e-mail address is rportel@iowaradiology.com. If I can be of any help, please don't hesitate to contact me.

38zxdreamin'
10-29-2003, 05:01 PM
Hey mjpcowboy, I sent an email to you, but I got a reply email back saying that the email wasn't received. If you ever want to email me, mine is lonestarmow@hotmail.com

Thanks
Corey

nauti-props
10-29-2003, 08:40 PM
I did buy a new 38 ZX. There were some problems which are being worked out. I recommend the boat for several reasons, first the cabin is huge. Second the boat performs well in bigger water. Third, it's a Donzi.

Digger
10-30-2003, 05:04 AM
and fourth, it looks freakin' awesome. :D

33 Daytona
10-30-2003, 08:05 AM
Check this out. It seems like a pretty good deal for a 38. Found it on Boattrader.com Good luck

http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/5/4/55401954.htm

My $.02: i never buy a new boat. I don't want to take the depreciation. I have now purchased 2 Donzis and both were used, both had few hours and both looked new and both were WAY below new price. If you look hard enough you can find a Donzi that is all but new at a used price. On my first Donzi I bought an extended warranty for $2500 for two years and I was a better deal than the Z care.

Sean
10-30-2003, 11:26 AM
Beautiful boat. If I could get out of my 33 without losing my shorts I would love to get my hands on a 38. I would definitely get 525's with the Daytona package. If you order new, I would recommend going to the factory and check it out before it gets shipped. They can fix the problems faster at the factory and cut the middle man headaches.

Dang, now I've got the fever for a 38. :D :D :D

38zxdreamin'
10-30-2003, 05:09 PM
thanks for the input guys and gals. Hey Nauti-props, I followed the build process of your boat on OSO, and I must say that is one beautiful boat. I have been watching that 04' 38 on boattrader, but I have already gotten a quote on a new one with 525's, gen, ac, and all the goodies for the 250k range. Donzi is running some pretty good incentives right now. I am looking at an 01' Daytona with 500's, all the goodies, 145hrs for around 200k. Seems pretty good to me. I have been advised to stay away from 99-2000, So now I am looking at 01' and newer. I will keep everyone updated on my progress, and I can't wait to join you Donzi owners.

Corey

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
10-30-2003, 06:18 PM
I echo Digger's comment, Nauti-props boat is beautiful, and also a Donzi with a different look.

Not to stir the pot on ZCare, but I have had success with them on my 2 Donzi's. And issues inside the first year were handled directly by the factory or Merc, trying moments at times but all worked out.

Good luck on the 38 hunt and purchase.
Bryan

RickSE
11-04-2003, 10:45 AM
Corey,
Would you be interested in receiving a price quote on a 38ZX from another dealer in the Southwest? If you're interested send me an email.

Rick
firstvee@yahoo.com