PDA

View Full Version : Windshield Deflector for 22' Classic

rustnrot
10-27-2003, 05:50 PM
Mark aka yesyoucan bought a Blackhawk last week. His wife says the windshield is not tall enough. Rumor has it someone has come up with a clever accessory to install on the windshield to help this problem?

MOP
10-27-2003, 06:45 PM
The link below was posted awhile back by SS18, Stix Magill was buying a set so I would drop him a note to see if he liked them.

http://www.windaway.com/

Bad-Tat
10-27-2003, 07:42 PM
FYI I couldn't get the Windaway to clamp down on the 22 windshield. The clamps aren't long enough and it slips off as you tighten them down.

rustnrot
10-27-2003, 08:48 PM
Have you tried to get your money "cheerfully refunded"?

Rodger
10-27-2003, 10:26 PM
I made a set of clamp-on wind deflectors for my 22. They clamp on in only a moment and I've been using them for about 13 years at high speed and in rough water. Unfortunately they are with the boat, about 100 miles away. When I'm get out there again, I'll take some pics to post.

AVickers
10-28-2003, 09:53 AM
One of my BIG complaints about the windshield on my C22 was that it deflected the wind directly into my eyes and, more importantly, ears. I finally installed a full-width deflector on my windshield and it makes a world of difference...

I went to a plastics fabricator and had them bend a clear 8" x 48" piece of Lexan to a 90 degree angle along its long axis. I then clamped this to the windshield and carefully measured the piece to drill three holes -- two each about 4" from the end of the piece and one in the exact center. I used a 5/16" drill through the windshield and a 3/8" drill through the fabricated deflector (I used a zero-rake bit made especially for drilling plastic, but you can use a regular drill bit spinning it backwards. If you don't do this, you may end up cracking the windshield and/or the new piece.).

I then threaded the holes in the windshield to 3/8" NCF and installed 2" x 3/8" NCF stainless steel button-head Allen screws -- front to back -- on which to secure the deflector. I use stainless wing nuts to install the deflector -- righside-up to deflect the wind and upside-down so the boat cover will fit.

Works like a champ! biggrin.