PDA

View Full Version : New Thru-Hull Install

Dave98
10-26-2003, 08:10 AM
Has any one installed thru-hull exhaust on a boat that did not have it before? I am guessing probably several of you judging from the discussions on the board.

I have extremely tight quarters on one side of the engine. How do I make sure the hole I need to cut will be lined up properly? I would hate to ask advice about fixing transom holes! :(

After the hole is cut, is it possible to have the tip installed on the hose and push it through the hole to the connection on the diverter? I am worried about not being able to tighten the screws on the clamp around the tip.

I really do not want to take the engine out for this install.

Any advice? Thanks in advance, guys!

Rootsy
10-26-2003, 08:14 AM
what hull and power package (engine and drive) are you attempting this on?

BUIZILLA
10-26-2003, 08:36 AM
Once the hole is cut... oh Lordy....

It is MUCH easier to remove the riser after measuring, drill hole eek! ,install thru hull, install and secure hose at rear clamps, then slip the riser into the hose and lower the riser back to the manifold and secure front clamps. Tighten the forward hose clamps LAST.

J

Kikwear
10-26-2003, 10:04 AM
I installed my Corsa Captain' Call. It doesn't get any tighter than on a 16'. :D I had to drill from the outside and when the hole saw bottomed out, I had to finish the job from the inside. Install the tips, drop the diverters in and tighten the clamps.

Dave98
10-26-2003, 03:44 PM
This install will be on a Donzi most of you are not familar with, a 235 SportDeck (5.7 Alpha I). Corsa says that I do not have room to go out the back so I am considering side exit. While there actually quite a bit of room around the engine, the starboard side where the tip will have to go is quite cramped and I do not see how I will be able to tighten a clamp at the tip.

I was banking on being able to assemble the hose and the tip outside the boat and inserting it through the hole.

Maybe a new boat is what I need! biggrin.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

MOP
10-26-2003, 05:01 PM
If you go with the side exit late Chriscrafts have some very nice units you may want to check out.

Cuda
10-27-2003, 04:00 PM
Check this thread where a friend of mine had some of the same issues with a Wellcraft Ecllipse that he put thru hull on. Thru hull (http://www.fastboats.info/upload/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12166&highlight=loud)

Dave98
10-27-2003, 07:20 PM
Thanks Cuda.