PDA

View Full Version : Spun Prop Hub ?? "Updated"

Greg K
08-25-2002, 04:43 PM
Last week I put a new prop on..it has worked great and very happy with it till later this afternoon..went out today and ran fine till it was time to go home after sitting on the beach for about 3 hours.
What I can descibe is that anything over 2000 rpm, the rpm's climb and feels like a ton of slip and no acceleration. Engine revs up beyond that. Limped back to the ramp at under 2000 rpms is all it would tolerate. Did not hit or run a ground with it, so my question is, what is up or has the hub been spun in the prop??

Prop is a new Turbo I 21" pitch.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Cuda
08-25-2002, 06:23 PM
It's either a spun hub or a burnt drive coupler. Did you see or smell any smoke? Since you just replaced the prop, I would suspect it first.

Greg K
08-25-2002, 06:41 PM
Don't recall any smell or anything...I've removed the prop, but hard to tell if it or has spun on the hub.
What I do recall is that it felt like a clutch slipping when you would give it any more throttle than it liked.

Ok..figured out what the coupler is...will be looking into that...not the kind of work i need to have done just before Eufaula...
that involves pulling motor and drive out i think??

Cuda
08-25-2002, 07:09 PM
Believe me, you would smell and see if it was the coupler. Take the prop back to where you bought it, and have them check the hub. Could have just gotten a bad one.

Greg K
08-25-2002, 07:14 PM
I think i'll put the old prop back on and see how it does... to see if it's the problem..one more thing, can any damage be done running longer than one should with something like that ?

Thanks for now..

Donzified
08-25-2002, 08:04 PM
I score the back of the prop to mark the hub to the blades, if the hub spins you can see.

Cuda
08-25-2002, 08:20 PM
No, it won't hurt anything. Donzified has a good idea with the marking, but if it runs fine with the old prop, you have found the problem. They can rehub a prop, but it gets spun easier the second time. Did you buy it from a business?

Greg K
08-25-2002, 08:30 PM
I'll try that after running with the old prop. Prop was bought new thru Dan's Prop in MI.

Again, if it's the coupler, it's going to take a bit longer to repair, don't smell any burnt rubber smell or odor in the engine compartment, will see tomorrow..

Thanks guys.

Rootsy
08-25-2002, 08:41 PM
you could do the coupler in a GOOD day with adequate tools and a shop with a chainfall... i know just how to get that motor out of that boat... 3 hours to get it out, another 3 to get it in and back together and the drive back on and the hatch, etc... and an hour to replace the coupler itself... and thats with me, myself and I doing ALL of the work...

but i agree sounds like the prop, you'll smell burning rubber if it was the coupler and if you run it long enough it'll put out some smoke... before they had the sleeve with the grease zerk installed you could look in the drive hole through the gimble and see the melted rubber...

RH
08-25-2002, 08:50 PM
Earlier in the summer, the same thing happened to me. I was running down that lake at about 35 mph, and wham, the tach revved and the boat came right off plane. I pulled back to idle immediately and limped into the dock. Everytime I would throttle up, it would just rev. I pulled the prop and took it down to the maring where they sent it off to have it rehubbed. All is well! My outdrive is the Volvo 270 btw.
Good luck!
RH

AVickers
08-25-2002, 10:39 PM
Volvo props are notorious for spinning hubs... I've spun a couple of them.

Mercruiser has a system in which an octagonal hub is pressed into a square hole in the prop. This coupler has a splined hub pressed into it that can begin to slip.

Michigan Wheel makes a coupling that will fit the Mercruiser props where the inside of the coupler is splined. A brass inside coupler simply slips into the center of the square piece. It looks like it won't slip. I just had one installed in my new (to me) Mirage Plus...

Greg K
08-26-2002, 06:53 PM
Went out this evening with the old prop back on..turns out that the new prop spun it's hub. No issues with the old prop and back where it was speed and rpm wise. One thing I will say, what a difference, I look forward to getting the new one replaced or repaired back as soon as possible.

Thanks for all the help...another lesson for me.