PDA

View Full Version : Meanwhile, Back at the Ramp...

harbormaster
08-25-2002, 08:54 AM
Well yesterday was the shakedown cruise of the newly repaired outdrive. It performed flawlessly. We even went out into Galveston Bay (which was very smooth) and played Tanker tag.

When it was time to pull it out, I pulled up to the finger pier and dropped off Kim so she could get the trailer and back it in. I then backed off and made room.

We had some strong rains 2 weeks ago which flushed all the floating water hyacinths out into the lake from the creeks and bayous. Well it has clogged the boat ramp I use. It gets all over your trailer, and get under your tires making it almost impossible to pull the boat out of the water. I will comback to this.

As I am sitting there waiting my turn, some A**hole pull in past me, ties up his boat at the ramp and goes and get his truck. The ramp is busy as hell.

In the mean time there is a old crummy boat with 5 people in it trying to pull up to the end of the finger pier. at the the last minute the boat accelerates to full speed and does a glancing blow off the end of the pier ripping up his swim platform. Narrowly missing our boat I might add.

At the same time Kim is backing up the trailer, all the f**kers with their little PWC trailers are trying to back up and squeeze in between the full size boat trailers in the ramp. One guy even cut off my wife while she was backing in.
I could have really ruined that guys day but I held my tongue somewhat.

Remember the 5 people in the destruction derby boat? They were back. This time they tried to pull alongside the pier opposite the ramp. The boat again suddenly accelerated, did a hard glancing blow off the side of the pier and smashed into and over the bulkhead almost launching into a parked car. Whew.
We got his hull numbers to report him as the one who did the damage to the pier.

Remember water hyacinths?
We got the boat onto the trailer and locked down with no problems. I love my trailer. Did I say how much love my trailer? Anyway the damn hyacinths were all over the ramp and Our new tow vehicle Expedition (Eddie Bowel Edition - Has all kinds of crap in it) just spun the tires when trying to pull out. I dug out the plants from under tires got some guys on the back bumper jumping up and down and the boat came out. We helped other guy afterwards get his boat out who was having the same problem.

With all this going on Kim had flawlessly backed up the trailer.

Of course when the tires were spinning, you know where all the plant matter from the tires went. Yes. The boat. It took a little longer to clean the boat. Even with the ramp stuff, It was still an enjoyable day in the boat. THE END

KMLFAMILY
08-25-2002, 09:09 AM
I have come to the point of expecting and excepting launch ramp mayhem. I just look the situation over and think to myself. This is going to take a little longer today.It"s great your wife can back the trailer up. My wife is presently in training.I saw Mr.s Weaver back in at Lake Winni. and thought damn, if mine could only do that.

Dr. Dan
08-25-2002, 01:27 PM
Wow Scott, Great story! :p I thought Liz and I were the only ones that boated in the land of A**Holes! Actually, our normal place is fine, it's when we deviate and give other boaters the benefit of the doubt, that's when they screw you...", just like Joe Peshe' in the drive thru....(from one of the Lethal Weapon Movies)!...I am glad to hear you got it all out O.K., it's very disturbing when your always reliable 4 X 4 seems to be at an impass with Mother Nature... :rolleyes: ...Doc

Cuda
08-25-2002, 04:36 PM
We had a little incident at the ramp today also. Debbie backed the boat in and we got it off. There was a guy trying back his in two holes down. I was getting the boat started etc, and I saw Debbie sitting patiently in the truck waiting for this a hole to try to get his to the water. I looked up and saw Debbie step out of the truck, but I thought she was helping him with directions on how to get his boat wet. I found out later, the guy said "If you'd move your f$#king trailer b%tch, I could get in." Luckily I didn't hear that. Debbie had gotten out of the truck and cussed him back and said she'd stomp his a$$. He didn't know he was fooling with a north Florida swap girl! :) . Deb told me the guy beside the a hole told the a hole it she wasn't in the way, and to get off her just because he couldn't back it in. The ignorance of some people never ceases to amaze me. And that's not even bringing up the jet skis that ALWAYS have to leave the dock at full throttle! :mad:

Gearhead99
08-25-2002, 04:59 PM
Use to be a ramp up north of Orlando that had a Bar next to it. They use to have "Happy Hour" or "Ramp Follies" on Sat & Sun afternoon. It was a blast to say the least. Not an empty seat in the house.

Dalelama
08-25-2002, 06:39 PM
In Miami-Dade County... it's OPEN SEASON... and we jus' shoot 'em!

If you can get 3 people to testify the guy was an idiot... you get off ...Scott free!

What a Country!

Dino
08-25-2002, 07:31 PM
Gee Sacott.. now I remember some of the reasons why I sold my boat...
And here I am again buying another...

tailwind
08-25-2002, 07:51 PM
So sorry to hear of Dock complications:

Sitting high here in Sedona, AZ, "hideaway club" overlooking oak creek canyon, and watching the sun pass below the canyons and other libations.

In the great State of MS, we have the same thing happen on a regular basis! Our difference is that we no longer discrimate between craft. On any given day, we will not watch others and see what happens, moreover, we all will pitch in here and help our fellow boaters.

Class status is really not appicable here, moreover, our boating rights are really not given, but perhaps earned. Please let us all work together in providing both education and foresight , in hopes that we all may come together in a common goal, of fun boating!

What can you do? Next time at the ramp, get out and help your neighbor load regardless,
Dont just sit around and watch. We are all in this together, your baja neighbor may be a DONZI owner shortly... If there is any, and i say again any confusion regarding the above,
Please give us a call , be back in a week or so ?

Best regards to all
Randy

Donzified
08-25-2002, 07:56 PM
I hate all the downs of keeping the Donz floatin,do not miss the ramps.

HyperDonzi
08-25-2002, 07:57 PM
2 words:

Season Dock

ToonaFish
08-25-2002, 08:34 PM
Gearhead, bet that was the place in Geneva area that served awesome fried gator... if my temp was under 100 degrees, I'd make a stab at the name...

Bunches,

Celene 'homesick for Chulota'

PaulO
08-26-2002, 01:23 PM
Scot,
Instead of spinning those tires, why didn't you put Mr. Bowels in 4WD?
PaulO

Ranman
08-26-2002, 02:19 PM
My guess is that's it's a 2WD Expedition. Come on guys, give the 'ol Harbormaster SOME credit.

HyperDonzi
08-26-2002, 02:42 PM
whats tanker tag?

harbormaster
08-26-2002, 06:00 PM
Tanker Tag is when you find the fully loaded tankers and container ships and jump their wakes.

HyperDonzi
08-26-2002, 06:40 PM
did you get any water coming over the front?

freckles
08-26-2002, 07:58 PM
In over 10 years of trailering, I saw something for the first time: I saw a trailer come off the hitch. This happened while the boat was still on the trailer and the driver was backing the boat (new 25' or 27' Rinker) and trailer down the launch. Fortunately he had safety chains, but they were straining big time. A few big guys came over to help. They got the boat off the trailer, then jacked the trailer up and back onto the hitch.

This was at the Harley Ensign launch on the Clinton River by Lake St. Clair. There's usually something happening. I agree with you, Randy, we should help each other out, but too often people don't want help until it's too late.

Christine

rong
08-28-2002, 07:37 AM
To go one further on loosing boat trailers. I watch a guy back his 25ft Hydrosport into the water. Now this trailer ball was one size off but because it was only going to the ramp two feet away the "Boat trailer salesman" said it would be o.k. because of the tongue
weight. Down the ramp it went and into the water, the boat weight shifted, the tongue came up and the one rusted safety chain broke. The driver of the boat was the salesman, noticed the problem. Started the motor and was able to power the trailer back to the truck using the power of the boat. If he backed up the trailer would have been in the river. Also, not at a boat ramp, had a guy do the same thing on the street going up a hill. Saw the problem from my yard and was able to run and catch the trailer from
rolling into an intersection. Yep,rusty safety chains broke again. This was not a big hill and the 23 footer was not a easy stop. Both me and two guys from the truck had all we could do. Please, anyone towing anything, make sure everything is in good working order. If the chains look rusty replace them. There not much money and could save you from a very imbrassing moment.

Barry Phillips
08-28-2002, 08:32 AM
Since we are back on the subject of ramps,
2 weeks ago my wife and I returning from dinner arround 7:30pm were hauling out . The ramp rush was over and the guy who hauled out before me came back down to admire my boat. While we were talking my wife pulled out the 18 and we where still talking on the dock. In the course of conversation I noticed that on the boat on the other side of the ramp the trialer tongue was bobbing up and down and the boat owner chest deep in water was trying to unhook the winch strap while the boat was pulling against it, thier was to much tension to unhook it since the tongue had unlatched itself and was floating under the boat, the rest of the trailer was under the dock. The only thing holding the rig to his pickup, which was submered halfway up the tailgate were the safety chains. So I tried to help him out . I informed him he set his trailer way to deep and needed to pull up slowly to release the tension on the bow strap and I would guide the boat back on the trailer. Now the order of the day here was slowly. With that said he gets in his truck and floors it . Held only by the safety chains the trailer and boat crash into his tailgate. So we got boat off and he drags the trailer up the ramp on the wheel jack leaving parts all the way up the ramp. I was going to tie off the boat for him but could only find one rotten length of clothes line . The scary part is that he was trailing with a either the wrong size trailer ball or a flaulty coupler and the fact he was going out night boating, not to mention that would be hauling out after dark.

SO-SLO