PDA

View Full Version : top speed in a donzi?

turbodonzi
10-21-2003, 11:56 AM
what is the "safe" top speed for a 21' 1979 hornet 2 with big k-planes on the rear? I have a trs drive and a twin turbo bb chevy. I'm new to this and only used to street cars.

Ranman
10-21-2003, 01:21 PM
turbodonzi,

You are asking a very open ended question. There is no definitive answer. Define "safe". As an example 70MPH in a Donzi can be unsafe depending on hardware condition, rigging, etc. On the other hand, there is a board mamber here that runs a "safe as you can get" 104MPH in an 18 Classic.

If you're asking if there's a limit to the hull design, there doesn't seem to be. "Safe" speed in a Donzi is directly related to how much money you want to spend.

Others here will chime in with good advice.

HyperDonzi
10-21-2003, 02:13 PM
It is the exact same question as "Are Honda's safe?" Well with less than 100hp, it dosent seem you can go fast enough to get hurt. But operator experience (IE 16 yr old punks, my self not included).

If thats a first boat, find someone with some more seat time in go-fasts and have them come along, you will learn from them, and from the time you are out having fun.

BigGrizzly
10-21-2003, 06:45 PM
Like MP said! I am one of the supercharged 502 and it takes some getting use to. I have Hydraulic steering and a TRS and beleive me it is a hand full at 86 mph. Righr around about 82 your going to chine walk and it becones a balancing act on the bace of the V. With out hydraulic steering it can be a real chure so be carefull.

smoothie
10-21-2003, 08:05 PM
....And the water conditions have alot to do with the handling,and does the prop as a rule a 4 blade handles the best,you said you have K-planes these are a good thing...when you get the hang of things you can control the torx of the boat as well as keeping the bow down in rough water.It sounds like you have a handful to start with so I would start at around 50 to 55 mph to be "safe" and work your way up,I know itwill be tuff but dont be in to big a hurry,get a killswitch,a life jacket and have a blast :D Oh and how about some pics of this bad boy :cool:

turbodonzi
10-21-2003, 10:54 PM
I don't have any pics yet but it isn't real pretty, someone did a bad red /white stripe paint job and the moron that built this motor--well lets just say I'm taking the twin turbo 468 out of my dually which has Crower bottom end,merlin heads , Crower rockers etc,and changing the cam and intake setup for the boat.I'm only setting it up for about 600hp so when I fix this thing up and make it presentable I will have some pics. thanks to everyone for all your help and advice-------Kurt