PDA

View Full Version : Removing Flame Arrestor for Fogging

Grip-it
10-21-2003, 08:25 AM
Can you explain to me the step by step procedure for fogging the engine. I have trouble understanding how to remove the flame arrestor. Is this done while the engine is running or do I remove the flame arrestor and then start the engine? I want to avoid any fires or hazards.Thanks

mattyboy
10-21-2003, 10:45 AM
grip it,
fogging is one of the lasts steps in winterizing the boat, do a search on winterizing, I think Scott Boldts had a pretty extensive post on the steps, as far as the flame arrestor when you have it off make sure NOTHING falls into the carb!!!

Matty

Grip-it
10-21-2003, 12:25 PM
Thanks Matty, The thing is I read all the previous posts and nobody describes in detail how to remove the flame arrestor. For instance, do you remove it with the engine running? Should you disconnect the two hoses that connect to the flame arrestor? Need Advise.

Rootsy
10-21-2003, 01:18 PM
mercruiser carbureted motor?

if so.. make sure the bilge is without fuel fumes and your motor is not in the habit of backfiring through the carb... run your blower if in doubt of fumes.

remove the flame arrester with a 7/16 wrench by removing nut on top and lay it all aside.. DO NOT drop the nut in the carb... ACK.. OUCH... BAD... start motor and warm her up... once antifreeze is in it spray fogging oil in liberally until it starts to realyl smoke and if you kill the motor in doing so then fine... she is done til; spring and replace the flame arrester for it's winter nap...

Grip-it
10-21-2003, 01:50 PM
Thanks Roosty,

Should I take the 2 hoses off the Flame Arrestor?

Rootsy
10-21-2003, 02:02 PM
yes,

they are just your PCV hoses from the valve covers... just reconnect when you put it all back together.

just run her with the hatch open and you'll be fine... jsut make sure there is no gas floating around down in the bilge or fumes... just for safety sake.

Grip-it
10-21-2003, 02:09 PM
Cool Roosty, Thanks again.

farmer tx
10-21-2003, 10:25 PM
When fogging the engine make sure you have water running through the drive with muffs or some other attachment or you will toast your water pump in the drive.