PDA

View Full Version : TRS drive

turbodonzi
10-17-2003, 12:19 PM
I have a TRS in a 79 21' hornet, How much HP can it handle?? new to boating trying to get all the info I can. thanks

wytmike
10-17-2003, 01:17 PM
The case and gears are very durable. We're running 525 hp through it with no problems. The weakest link on the unit is the tranmission/clutches.

Rodger
10-17-2003, 09:54 PM
I have a 78 F22 with the TRS and Merctrans setup. I'm putting out over 650 HP but I had the original clutches fail after 8 seasons. I upgraded the clutches now and so far, it's fine. I'm very carefull not to launch the boat off waves at high speed and I'm easy with acceleration. Since I built this engine I've put on over 1000 hours. Good luck with your setup.

MR MAGOO
10-18-2003, 06:10 AM
Im running a pair of 750 hp blower motors in my 38 Top Gun Cigarette with TRS drives. I`ve blown up a number of them. The weak link is the lower pinion gears. The replacement gears are now Cryogenically treated and last much longer the the orig. gears.If you are easy out of the hole you will get decent service out of them.

They are a simple drive to work on, get a manual,I got mine from ebay, and the tools to dissasemble the lower gear case also. I pull apart my lower gear cases a couple time a season to inspect the pinion/drive gears and replace them when the gear faces become pitted. Much cheaper to replace gear sets than to wait and lose a tooth and send it through the case (been there $$) The lower empty gear cases are very expensive @2000.

The left hand TRS is a stronger unit because the lower drive gear is in the nose of the case and is supported much better than the right hand (drive gear is against the bearing carrier)

Your rt hand TRS can be converted to left hand rotation by just by replacing the prop shaft with a left hand one and buy a new drive gear bearing.Everything is already machined for rt or left use.

...and if you are runnning the MercTrans, the front pump will be your weak link.

BigGrizzly
10-18-2003, 09:28 AM
I have on in my Criterion and have over 690 im the blown 502. Lost the clutchesat Cumberland two years ago(original 1981 trans) Huber Marine sent me the hop up kit and it has been fine ever since. The other problem is the oil pump gear like MP said, but let me add one important point. when swapping engines the merc trans REQUIRES a piolote bearing, unlike the Velvit Drive trans. Problem is that people trplace engines and not the bearing, this caused the imput shaft to wobble and then splits the oil pump gear. One thing I can tell you is that the package with the Merc trans is stronger than the bravoI combo and the jury is still out on the xr drives. The Velvet Drive combo is Still the king next to the crash box and the newer race box.