PDA

View Full Version : Water Pick up on the Hull ?V Drive model

TMracer
09-19-2000, 06:15 PM
Ok heres a Tuffy where is the right Location on the Hull for the water pick up from the Factory.My guy from Walts V Drive said where its at between the prop and the rudder and off a lttle to the right side. I am told this will cause it to get air/water mix causing it to run hot.The pick up should be in front of the prop any guys know what should be right?

BigGrizzly
09-19-2000, 07:10 PM
I.m looking at the stern of a 19 Hornet in a Donzi photo, the pickup IS to the right of the rudder and parallel to the bottom of the hull. If this is wrong , don,t tell the Hornets or they will all overheat. You know how them Hornets are, very clickie

[This message has been edited by BigGrizzly (edited 09-19-2000).]

oldLenny
09-19-2000, 10:45 PM
The V-drive, (Casale) that I looked at on 16 ski sporter had the bronze pick-up to the left of hull centerline between the rudder and prop at about 1' left. Keep in mind tho that the fellow put on a "hood scoop" on the engine cover and cut two holes in the rear deck where it falls over to meet the transom because he said that "it needed to get some air" to keep cool. Most of these boats air out so well I wouldn't think you would want it too far forward or in from center.
...what do I know...

wintersux
09-20-2000, 08:54 AM
I have a flat bottom with a v-drive also. If your gear box is an in/out only, you should start the boat in gear and shut it off in gear and then change to neutral. You have checked the water pump? Have you lost a piece of your impeller or have a piece stuck in the inlet/outlet? The placement of the inlet that Walt told you is correct and a little air water mix should not affect the temp that much. Most v-drive's with a good pump will run a little on the cold side unless there is a restriction or the pump is weak. Try a magnaflow pump if you have room. Best volume and life of any pump.