PDA

View Full Version : Which is Faster?

Riley
09-14-2000, 07:55 AM
Hey guys, here's a topic that should make for some interesting discussion: Is any year Donzi 18' hull any faster (or slower?) than any other year, all other factors being equal? I've been reading the posts on top speed, Hp, Prop, gear ratio, etc, and there seems to be some significant differences in performance out there, even with comparable horsepower. How about lower unit performance? Bravo I or Alpha, is one hydro-dynamically superior to the other? Let's hear your thoughts......Chris Riley

Blewbyu
09-16-2000, 04:19 AM
The 74's are far faster than any others.
Volvo Speedmaster is far more slippery than either Merc.Hope this takes care of all the discussion.......
Regards-Jeff

GeneD
09-16-2000, 07:00 AM
MP<
True,
But red boats are faster than blue boats, except possibly during a harvest moon!

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

harbormaster
09-16-2000, 07:58 AM
But Scott remember...

fishing rod holders provide added lift and therefore another 15 miles per hour.

Harbormiester

BERTRAM BOY
09-16-2000, 12:12 PM
Ahhhhh, but you forgot to add the horsepower that you get from that "Good red wine ".....
BERTRAM BOY

GEOO
09-16-2000, 12:17 PM
I'm pretty sure X-18's are the faster ones!!
All kidding aside, the older Donzi's Pre 80's seam to be listed in the brochure's with a lighter weight. I think Volvo's weight less then Mercs. However, it seams like the new 90's Donzi's are faster. Maybe the newer molds are more true? Volvo SpeedMaster's are the fastest (no Parts available), Bravo's seam to run faster the Alpha's the 270,280 & 290's are hard too push over 55 and jet drives need lot's of power to go fast. Of coarse Blackhawk's and Arneson's are fast but not realistic. Oh and northern boat's are are faster in the fall and spring. I packed my engine compartment with Ice, picked up 3mph!!! GEOO

[This message has been edited by GEOO (edited 09-16-2000).]

Gearhead99
09-16-2000, 01:06 PM
Newer Donzi's are more then likely lighter in construction then older.

Volvo probably isn't as fast as Merc. Sleeker in the water and trim, better aray of props. too.

Donzi on a trailer going down I-95 is for sure faster. Less wetted surface, even in the rain.

Most 18's run faster then 16's. No hook in bottom. [this should get things going]

Lrry D
09-16-2000, 01:51 PM
BERTRAM BOY I beleive that the "Good red wine " is more for courage then speed all though some grain alcohol in the tauk might be a different story !

GEOO
09-16-2000, 03:29 PM
GearHead99, I have to disagree. My Donzi has been faster in the water than on land. I don't think my truck could pull the trailer 85!!!! GEOOOOOOOOO

GeneD
09-16-2000, 03:33 PM
Oh GEO...
Where did your mother and I go wrong?
I notice you didn't say a word about the Alpha Super Sh*t, I mean Super Sport!
The SS has 2.75 inches of X dimension on the rest of the fleet and goes like a bat out of hell, what ever that means!
Right now, my Alpha goes zero. It moved about 5 feet in the past week or so!
Really though, after the gear change out, the thing is wild. I was sold on it. Bullet nose and all.
I may have blown my motor, but I will still be able walk the walk! Give me a week or so.
All this talk about top speed and the like has me thinking about a Donzi Race. Limited to 21 feet and under. I wonder what the problems with this would be? FrankC, got any ideas?
Oh, wait...we could have a RADAR shoot out like you guys did in NJ! Yeah, that would be cool. That is the ticket!
Any body up for helping me pull this off?
And not to blow my own horn or anything, but today is my birthday and I'm getting hammered! So pay no attention to the guy spouting speed stories!
Did nothing on the boat today except pick up my new three bolt coupler.
Did anyone see my manifold on ebay?
I'm stoked! This is the first time I have ever sold anything on ebay and I'm doing great.
E commmerce man, it's the wave of the future!
Got to go and take a nap!
Talk at you all later.

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

[This message has been edited by GeneD (edited 09-16-2000).]

Emmo
09-16-2000, 05:15 PM
Yellow boats are the fastest, except for X-18's and blue X-18's are fast enough to make it onto t-shirts, web pages and SpeedVision. The deep V transom of the barrel-back (Mello Yello & 007) gives a better ride in rough water but seems to be a little slower than the rounded bottoms. I have been in death defying rides in Forrest's little boat and GeneD's 007 and they are both powered by Alpha SS's, giving me a new-found respect for the Alpha SS.

------------------
Emmo mailto:emmette@emmette.comemmette@emmette.com</A>

GEOO
09-16-2000, 08:34 PM
GeneD, Happy B-day, sorry I forgot about the SS drive. I always wanted one, after reading the Phython article. I think the SS is faster then a Bravo but not as fast as a Volvo Speedmaster. GEOO

BigGrizzly
09-17-2000, 05:35 PM
The Python in the old Hotboat artical didnot have a SS. It had a full blown racing drive, 406 cubs and about 600hp. I know the man who built the engine.
Blue Corsicans are much faster by far the sound from the long tube hedder and 4 inch collectors are worth at least 15 mph on the decible meter.

[This message has been edited by BigGrizzly (edited 09-17-2000).]

Barry Phillips
09-18-2000, 07:34 AM
I think the newer boats are faster, I have
noticed the rear hatch is raised, a few
models more than others. Could this
have been down to raise the X dimention.
I think the really tall hatches were used
to fit highrise intacks. I am only running
250 hp through a Bravo 1 drive on my
98 18 Classic and it can run 65mph
confirmed with 2 aboard. I have seen
67 on the speedo and a guy in a big
block Checkmate told me I was running
68. My dealer was fairly impressed when
he tested the boat , he said that the 260
boats run about 62 and thats what he
exspected mine to go. I can run 62 with
3 passengers and 30 gallons of fuel.
A few people including Geoo have
told me to leave the motor alone, the boat
runs great and sometimes I agree
when I barely can use the speed I
have because of boat wakes from
every direction or big chop conditions.
But like everyone else I want to run faster,
I really feel a 4 barrel, new intake, cam
and better ignition will really wake the
motor up, I can taste 70mph.
SO-SLO

GeneD
09-18-2000, 11:54 AM
Hey, I want to thank all you guys for the birthday wishes and caviar dreams. Ooops, that was someone else!
Anyways, thanks alot! You guys are the best.
Haven't been to the shop yet today, but going there soon to finish up assembly on the bad boy 5.7.
Here's something for you all.
Did you know that on the new style motors, you need to buy "self-aligning" roller rockers? For a suggested retail of $393.66 (from Crane Cams, PN 10751-16). And they fit under the standard, stock valve covers.
There has to be a way to beat that price.
I've been all over ebay for them to no avail.
I beleive Pro-Form makes a set, for half that price, but I don't know anywhere local to buy them. Summit has them in thier catalog.

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida