PDA

View Full Version : Starter Solenoids

Jamesbon
09-12-2000, 06:11 PM
Regarding AC Delco starter solenoids for Chevrolet marine starters, is there a marine and automotive version?

Besides spark plugs, that's the missing link for me to install the 383 in the 21 GT.
Nathan
Registry # GTX2100021

GeneD
09-13-2000, 08:02 AM
The big joke here in FLA is that Mercruiser uses the same part, but paints it black.
I am sure that there is a marine only part, but I, for one, am not willing to pay the money. When I blow a solenoid, I go and buy the Chevy part and paint it black, and grease up the button area.
The painting helps, but those damn things always have a way of corroding out sometime down the line.

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

Jamesbon
09-13-2000, 08:18 AM
Cool. I have lots of black paint and QuickSilver grease!! Looks like I'll make a "marine" solenoid. You're right about'em corroding.....they're either corroded or busted whenever I fool with them.
Nathan
Registry # GTX2100021

Jamesbon
10-10-2000, 06:50 AM
One more question here for you Chevy guys, how many, and what wires connect to the solenoid? I have a 2 guage wire coming directly from the battery (or battery switch) and a 8 or 10 guage wire coming from a junction block BOTH attached to the large brass post on the solenoid. The third wire is about an 8 guage which attaches to the "small" positive post on the solenoid. My question really is, should I have both wires attached to the big post like I do? I don't remember where they went.....but that's the only place they seem to fit, not to mention the terminals on the ends of the first two wires are BIG.

Anyway, last night I attempted to bump the starter, but had no luck. Everything else was working though, lights, bilge pump..... Either my battery is really dead (7 months of sitting) or my starter isn't grounded well to the block. (I've had that one before) I did run the battery charger at a 2 amp charge for the past couple days.

GeneD
10-10-2000, 08:16 AM
Too long to post.
Call me. Check your email.

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida