PDA

View Full Version : Blackhawk??

RickSE
09-07-2000, 10:37 AM
What's with this?
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=431129778

Says it's a Blackhawk Edition but is powered by a 454 & Bravo. Shouldn't a Blackhawk Edition boat have a Blackhawk Drive and 502. If it only has a Bravo it certainly isn't worth $32,000 like he says.

Maybe it is a Blakhawk drive boat and he's picking up the Bravo name from the engine sticker?

[This message has been edited by RickS (edited 09-07-2000).]

Scott Elgas
09-07-2000, 11:09 AM
http://www.donzi.net/ubb/confused.gifIt sure looks like a blackhawk edition. But I also thought they all came with a 502. Maybe it's been re-powered with the 7.4? I tried to zoom in on the drive in the pic from the back, but it got too pixely to tell what the drive was.

AVickers
09-07-2000, 08:21 PM
The Blackhawks also had K-planes w/ trim indicators on the right side of the helm. On all three Blackhawks I've seen (all '93s), there's also a red cable that exits from the stern right behind the engine hatch that runs over and down to the foot as a connector to the trim indicator as well -- kind of a goofy routing, but it stands out...

I don't see either on this boat. Maybe it was an end-of-run gold trim No.3 hull for which they didn't have the Blackhawk power and foot??? Maybe they did use a Bravo III?

[This message has been edited by avickers (edited 09-07-2000).]

boxy
09-08-2000, 09:04 AM
I just got an email from the owner, he says the marina, where the baot was previously serviced, removed the BlackHawk, and replaced it with a Bravo, because a previous owner was having trouble docking with the high idle speed. He also said his reason for selling was that his 16 year old son was learning to drive a boat, and he feels this is too much boat for him.

------------------
boxy
mailto:sboxma@sprint.casboxma@sprint.ca</A>
Smuggler's Cove
Ontario

Jamesbon
09-08-2000, 10:07 AM
Blackhawks also have a completely different shaped hull bottom than the Classic. The Blackhawk has a rocker built into the the bottom, whereas the Classic uses a straight bottom. One can actually see the curvature of the chines on a Blackhawk. I wonder how it handles with the Bravo.

Nathan

RickSE
09-08-2000, 10:21 AM
You gota be kidding me, what kind of person (I was going to use another word) would do that, removing the Blackhawk? They probably also removed the 502 and replaced it with the 454. There is a lot more I could say here but I won't, I don't want this board to end up like Offshoreonly. The boat's just an average 22-classic now with a fancy paint job and certainly not worth 30K. I wouldn't feel so bad if the drive had broke and no replacement could be found. I wonder if the marina took advantage of the guy, probably told him the Blackhawk drive is worthless and then charged him 10K for the Bravo. It's a shame, maybe someone can get it for cheap though and find a Blackhawk drive to put on it.

boxy
09-08-2000, 10:35 AM
From the tone of the message, I think he bought it the same way he is selling it, already switched. He didn't think it was re-powered, but could you buy a BlackHawk with a 454. It looks like the marina that sold him the boat, used all of the BlackHawk's small problems as the reason to replace it. Let's face it, if GeoO can dock his direct drive Arneson, how tough can it be to dock a BlackHawk.

------------------
boxy
Smuggler's Cove
Ontario

Jamesbon
09-08-2000, 11:11 AM
Driver error.

Can't be any harder than reversing an inboard.

Nathan

boxy
09-08-2000, 11:59 AM
I've only driven one inboard, my neighbour's Mastercraft 190 Xstar, (Northstar engine http://www.donzi.net/ubb/eek.gif ) and I'm not sure if I was reversing in the best manner. Is counter steering the norm ?

------------------
boxy
Smuggler's Cove
Ontario

Jamesbon
09-08-2000, 12:16 PM
Reversing a single engine inboard usually leaves the driver with no steering control unless an oversized rudder is in the picture. In reversing my Supra Comp (inboard tournament ski boat) the stern pulls to the driver or starboard side regardless of rudder position. It's fun around docks http://www.donzi.net/ubb/eek.gif But with time and practice, it's certainly manageable.
Nathan
registry # GTX2100021

Craig
09-08-2000, 04:10 PM
Watching a beginning boater dock an inboard is one of the joys of life! Here's the directions:
STEP 1 (first try)
a)Come in reasonably slow at a 45 degree angle.
b)When you get "close" apply short blast of reverse, as needed.
c) you're done... oh yeah, c.1.)tie up boat.
STEP 2 .... there is no such thing as step 2; If you blow it, all your friends know you can't drive.
NOTE: Should try this alone a few times (way far away from the dock) to know which way the particular ole' inboard you're driving pulls. If you don't know that, the above instructions may not work. I think its a prop rotation thing!

AVickers
09-08-2000, 05:29 PM
Blackhawks -- gotta love 'em.

I've driven one and, although it was great out on the lake, in the docks it was another matter...

Low-speed maneuvering is a relative term with the Blackhawk. They got a very high pitch pair of props that don't slip much. Even at idle, the boat really moves! Docking or trailering is a matter of putting her in and out of gear to go slower than she'll go at idle... Similar to what you have to do with any boat, but much more dramatic -- putting them in gear is more of a lurch than a transisiton from not going to going...

One of the Blackhawks I've seen here has dings on the nose where the owner needed to come in that last three feet and ended up moving the boat three-and-a-half feet.

Scott Elgas
09-09-2000, 09:18 AM
I have a Classic with a Blackhawk. Jamesbon is right the hull is different than a Bravo hull. Not only the rocker, but the strakes do not go as far back as a Bravo hull either. Also, the engine is mounted farther forward in a Blackhawk hull. That's the only differences I know of, but there could be more. By no means am I an expert on the Donzi hulls (far from it) I just did a little research before I bought mine. But I also have to wonder about how it handles with the Bravo Drive. And where did the 454 come from? I thought they all had 502's. Maybe the Bravo didn't slow it down enough at idle so they put the 454 in! http://www.donzi.net/ubb/smile.gif It is true that they idle very fast. But I couldn't imagine someone replacing the drive because of high idle speeds! My boat was very tricky to dock and still can be in windy situations. But I learned how, and never hit anything doing it. It's basically a play the wind and "coast in" technique, bumping it in and out of gear if necessary. A Blackhawk with a 454 and a Bravo. http://www.donzi.net/ubb/confused.gif I wonder if they took the K-PLanes off because they were too confusing?