PDA

View Full Version : Imron system 5000 paint on bottom?

AGUESS
09-06-2000, 09:48 PM
Ok, I saw the previous question about Imron vs Gelcoat vs, etc.

Someone said not to use Imron on the bottom if the boat is to be left in the water, could cause problems.

My boat has been painted twice with Imron and only left in the water overnight a few times. Never had a problem.

I am doing a full restoration and plan on painting with Imron system 5000 paint (Paint & clear coat). White deck & bottom, Red (donzi Red) stripe and sides.

So, my question is! How long can you leave it in the water before problems?

Any other info you have concening problems with Imron would be helpful.

I am only a few weeks away from paint, so thank you for the feedback.

Alex.

Forrest
09-07-2000, 11:26 AM
Go to the US Paint (Awlgrip) website (http://www.uspaint.com). Since they are both linear polyurethane paints the same rules of application would apply to Imron.

------------------
Forrest

Scott Pearson
09-07-2000, 08:04 PM
Nothing for nothing but some of you guys are stuck on this whole IMRON thing...Imron is a only a modified enamel. Its not a true urethane. Imron has a urethane hardner but the paint is only a enamel. Other products like PPG Delta, Algrip, Pratt and Lambert, U-Tech...etc are TRUE POLYURETHANE'S. Do your home work before you paint! Or be sorry later.

I painted a 42 Post about 5 years ago in a Polyurethane and it was below the water line...Hull and all. It stays in the water all the time and only taken out for the winter. Guess what...NO PROBLEMS..ie. Bubbling. It looks as good as the day I did it.

Painted my 1st Donzi in (A true Polyurethane) and guess what...same results.

And now coming to a city near you... My 1968 that I have been working on is a true POLYURETHANE!

My 2 cents for what its worth...I only work for the largest paint company in the word...but hay what the hell do I know do I know.

Pissed in (NJ) Scott

CDMA
09-07-2000, 10:06 PM
Scott,

I just finished my boat in Glausurit 22 line. I did the same research and was very pleased with the Glasso.

Chris

Robert Geoghegan
09-07-2000, 11:44 PM
Scott,

I am also in the process of debating "to gelcoat or to paint". I am rebuilding a 1968 28' Magnum, can you reccomend a painter in the Toms River NJ area?
Thanks for your help!
Bob

Scott Pearson
09-08-2000, 05:28 AM
Cris,
Glausurit 22 line...Great Product..True urethane. Im sure it looks great and will hold up with no problems at all. Good luck!

(NJ) Scott

Scott Pearson
09-08-2000, 05:44 AM
Robert,
I know alot of great painters in the Tomsriver area. The problem is getting the shop to take on a job of painting a boat. Most shops dont want anything to do with it. You can try calling a few shops to see. Maybe you'll get lucy and one might be slow.

Auto Body Craftsman in Island Hights is great shop. The painter there is one of the best I have ever seen. Ask for Danny Hawtin he is the owner.

Manchester Collision in Toms River might take the job on. Ask for Jimmy Calabrese

Carlsons Auto Body in Jackson is very good also and might take the job on. They have sprayed a few boats there and have the shop to do it. Ask for Carl Carlson Jr.

When you call these guys, Tell them that Scott from PPG told you to call. Danny from Auto Body Craftsman Im sure will be vey helpfull.

Good luck, Let me know how you make out.

(NJ)Scott

Jamesbon
09-08-2000, 08:57 AM
What are the downfalls associated with using gel-coat on a freshly prepared bottom? Is it "sprayable?" I'm leaning towards gel-coat or the Interlux Sytem Forrest mentioned for my 21 GT.

Nathan

MattM
09-08-2000, 12:22 PM
Scott, this is valuable information, it's nice not to have to speculate on something as important as paint, thankyou. Which PPG product should we use in single stage, and base/clear? Also If we want DuPont, can you tell us if they have a similar product?
Thanks

AGUESS
09-08-2000, 12:55 PM
Scott, Thanks for your continued help with the restoration of my 66 classic 18. Hope I am not the one that has you pissed!

You are correct, Dupont has confirmed that Imron is not to be used below the waterline if the boat is to be left in the water for any length of time. They can not define what a length of time is, however they feel that if the boat is in & out same day, then ok.

I did not know this, and having paid lots of cash to have the boat painted in the past, was never told this by anyone. So, thank you for the continued education.

Ok, so I can't use Imron, no big deal. I want to use the best paint available, and will take your word that PPG is one of them.

With that in mind, if you will offer some additional help.

What PPG Paint Product should I use? I want to have a clear coat also, but want your opinion.

Please be specific, with paint type, primer type, clear coat type, etc. If different paint needed for top & hull, please advise.

I have a small amount of Dupont Donzi Red paint, and assume that PPG can match this.

Thanks for all of your help and knowledge.

Alex.

Scott Pearson
09-08-2000, 07:00 PM
Dont get me wrong guys, Imron is a good product but like I said before its not a true urathene. PPG also does not want our products used below the waterline. Not many companys will give you that warranty. But what I was getting at is a True urathene will give you the best performance. I have seen and fixed Gelcoat bubbling on an 42 foot Ocean. It was below the water line.

Gelcoat is a little hard to work with and once you have sprayed it on its not over. lots of wet sanding and polishing. The gelcoat that is on boats is sprayed on, But its done in the mold first. It comes out of the mold like you see it on your boats. There is a release agent sprayed in the mold that allows this to happen.

If you are going to paint your boats then you should look for a good Polyurethane paint. Dupont does have this. If you are going to use Imron make sure you clear it with one of the urethane clears. Just dont use Imron single stage. Imron 6000 is there Base Coat product.
Or you can use the automotive line basecoat and clear that.

Me, I like things that are cleared. You have alot more UV protection when you use a Clear coat. For example... I have a huge fleet account that builds ambulances. They had a 5 year warranty. Well now they have 7 years. They were using our DUHS (single stage) and we switched them to our DBHS (base coat). This gave them the 7 years that they wanted. Why...Because Clear Coats last longer. Our lab did a 1100 hour salt spray/humidity test on the panals...thats 10 years in Salt water guys. And it did not fail. Even know we wont stand behind the product "below the water line" I have never seen it fail. Im sure if the boat is not prepped the right way then you might have a problem.

If you are going to use a single stage the make sure its a True Urathene.

Quick rundown of what I used and the steps on my boat.

#1 Sanded the orig gelcoat with 320p grade on a D/A.

#2 Fixed all imperfections and primed with PPG NCP-250 mixed 4:1 with NCX-255

#3 Let dry a day and Blocked all primed ares with 320p grade wet/dry. then went over entire boat with same grade paper.

#4 Towed boat to my friends Down Draft booth and got it ready for paint.

#5 Washed entire boat down with DX-330 wax and greese remover. Then washed entire boat with DX-103. This will take the static out of the glass.

#6 2 coats of DP LF Epoxy mixed 2:1:1 with DP LF 401 and DT reducer. This product comes in a couple of colors.

#7 Sprayed white on for the stripe with DBC basecoat mixed 1:1 with DT reduced.

#8 let white flash and taped off stripe like the orig. Then put rest of color on boat with DBC base coat.

#9 Waited about a hour and clear coated the whole thing with DCU-2021 mixed 4:1:1 with DT Reducer and DCX-9 hardner.

#10 Baked boat for 45 min at 150 degrees.

#11 Big smile!

This was all done with the hull flipped over.I sent the Harbormaster about 75 pictures of how the thing is coming along and there are some great shots. I keep sending them in as the project gets closer to being finished. But Im still waiting for him to post them. Give him some hell and maybe he will get them on.

Alex...Im was not pissed at anyone...just had a crappy day...(laughing)

If any of you have any questions give me a call I will be more then happy to help.

(NJ) Scott

AGUESS
09-09-2000, 08:16 AM
Scott, Thanks again. As always your info is a great help.

Alex.