PDA

View Full Version : Gelcoat vs. Imron vs. Awlgrip

Jamesbon
09-06-2000, 02:08 PM
Okay Fellas, those of you who were at the Orlando Owners Event and saw my motorless 21 GT and know I'm in need of a bottom job....well, the time is near. I plan on removing all old coatings from the bottom, putting her on rollers and wheeling her in the garage. I have a compressor, water trap, several sprayers and half a brain so I'd like to re-coat the bottom with one of the above chemicals. I'm assuming gel coat is the best......let me know your thoughts. And no, the boat doesn't stay in the saltwater longer than a weekend, so anti fouling paint is not in the picture.

Thanks...Nathan
Registry # GTX2100021

Forrest
09-06-2000, 03:26 PM
Don't use a linear polyurethane coating(Awlgrip, Imron, etc) on the bottom. If the boat is left in the water for any length of time, the paint may bubble. Use epoxy or gel-coat. I you want white, I would recommend Interlux VC Performance Epoxy with Teflon. The stuff is super tough, it's cheap, and easy to spray.

------------------
Forrest

[This message has been edited by Forrest (edited 09-06-2000).]

BigGrizzly
09-06-2000, 08:00 PM
My blue Corsican at the Orlando show has Interlux Interthane Plus on the top side and poly poxie on the bottom. Both are hard and both have epoxie base coats. I agree with Forrest. By the way at Orlando when i said i used sray cans i was kidding, trying to cover up--it was my first paint job. I still have that brochure color copy for you when your done.
Randy

[This message has been edited by BigGrizzly (edited 09-06-2000).]