PDA

View Full Version : Ocean boating

Bad Dog
09-06-2000, 01:48 PM
Next week I'm heading to the NC beaches (Topsail beach) for a long overdue vacation. Topsail Island has access to the NC Inland Waterway and the Atlantic.

I've never been boating in the ocean before and I hear all of ya'lls stories about taking your Donzi's out and getting big air and I'm thinking about taking my 18 down with me.

I'm a good boat driver, but I'm looking for some advice on taking my Donzi out in the ocean.

What size seas are too big?
Anything in particular I should look out for? Should I leave the boat at home?

Any advice is appreciated.

Bret

------------------
Bret Pedigo
bret@emji.net

Jamesbon
09-06-2000, 02:01 PM
Bret,
Just my ".02 cents." Get the local charts, look for anything submerged, jettys, sand bars, pilings, know your tides too. Of course, check the wheather before you go. Take a VHF or cellular, anchor, flares,....the list goes on and on. I've been through 9-10 footers in the Ocean City MD inlet, and while I wasn't real comfortable with it, the boat did fine, just adjust your speed accordingly.

Nathan

Forrest
09-06-2000, 03:38 PM
. . . and keep the bow up! Really, running in the ocean is fun. Just be aware where the waves start to build into surf as you get near shore. The Atlantic off of the Outer Banks can get really big. Mornings are usually best. If you see whitecaps, forget it!

------------------
Forrest

RickR
09-06-2000, 07:01 PM
Take her to the ocean you'll have a blast http://www.donzi.net/ubb/eek.gif .

The wind velocity is very important.
A 4' swell is fun.
A 20knot wind and a 2' chop is a bitch.
Don't trust the NWS forcast, they're "Bad to Lie"

Watch out for the afternoon sea breeze.
Keep an eye on the weather. If the wind kicks up find sheltered water.

Make some friends and get some local knowledge. Two boats offshore togeather are more fun and safer.

Make sure you have at least 1 VHF (I carry 2)and a Flare Kit.

Wash boat throughly and flush motor every time she's in the salt.
Taste the water comming out of the exhaust. When you can't taste salt anymore fulsh for 10 more minutes.

If your current trailer is steel replace it quick after it's been in salt water.

------------------
RICKR
mailto:riggerb@aol.comriggerb@aol.com</A>

[This message has been edited by RickR (edited 09-06-2000).]

BigGrizzly
09-06-2000, 09:21 PM
Take heed the ocean can be your best friend and worst enemy. Mother nature is a mother. Every thing every one else said is true, listen to them. When in the ocean timing and rhythm is every thing.

oldLenny
09-07-2000, 12:13 PM
Jamesbon...when you say Ocean, 9-10 footers do you mean an 18-20 foot wave in an 18 foot boat works out?. Waves are measured from the trough to the crest and divided by 2...unless I'm mistaken.

boxy
09-07-2000, 01:37 PM
Lenny, I think this may be a case of west coast/east coast wave measuring techniques. If I remember correctly a 9 foot wave in Florida is a 9 foot trough to crest wave, that same wave in Hawaii, (and here's where my memory gets fuzzy) and maybe the West coast would be called 4.5 feet high.
Coast guys is this right ?

------------------
boxy
mailto:sboxma@sprint.casboxma@sprint.ca</A>
Smuggler's Cove
Ontario

Emmo
09-07-2000, 10:58 PM
Unless you are Randy, don't go where the birds are standing up!

------------------
Emmo mailto:emmette@emmette.comemmette@emmette.com</A>

Stromer
09-23-2000, 06:57 PM
Rick is right - two boats off shore are better than one.

Also - FLUSH FLUSH AND FLUSH SOME MORE. All I boat in is salt water and don't seem to have a problem with my raw water cooled engine - but you must flush after every use. Tastse the exhaust to make sure the salt is gone.

I have a galv. trailer and it is standing up fine however, I wash it every time I wash/flush the boat. If you trailer has brakes - wash the drums out somehow - use the hose or something.

Stromer